The Maine Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by thump!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. BSTT

BSTT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thanks for showing us the MAT. :clap
    Ciao Gero
  2. Highlands

Highlands Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you find that there were very many opportunities to camp or are hotels the only viable option?
  3. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Nice looking country. Little bit of a ride from Nevada......Thanks for sharing
  4. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We could have camped and were actually prepared to do so if necessary but no one in the group really wanted to. Camping on a motorcycle is PITA IMO. Aside from the obvious inconveniences (showers, heat, ac, comfy bed, carrying food, bears...) You waste an hour at each end of the day making and breaking. Me, I'm past that. If there's a hotel I'm there.
  5. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And a bit different terrain. Me in Nevada (TAT 2014)...
    [​IMG]
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  6. Highlands

Oddometer:
    So mostly campgrounds in new england? I think the blog said there wasn't much national forest? I like the idea of just rolling into a hotel for a shower and a bed, but it's more of a budget constraint issue for me.

7. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We saw some but frankly we really weren't looking. However I think it would have been possible. If that's a priority there are publications (maybe web resources?) that list campgrounds.
  8. K75STER

K75STER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics, thanks for sharing this route. Would love to get up that way! Getting put on the list.
  9. Balthazard

Balthazard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Considering the snow, how early in the season can you do the northern part of Maine?
    Definitely in my plans for spring if doable..
  10. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
  11. Balthazard

Balthazard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks cjbiker, i was hoping for April but will have to review in more details.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
  12. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    We didn't get much snow this winter, and they're calling for a dry spring, so April may be ok, but a lot of dirt roads and trails are traditionally closed until mid May.
  13. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 10 KTM 690E

Oddometer:
    When do they usually close the roads for the season?
    I'm thinking Sept-Oct would be a good time to go
  14. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    After the first significant snow fall. Depends on how far north you're going, but late October is usually still safe, but cold. September is great.
  15. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 10 KTM 690E

Oddometer:
    The route in PA is just south of the Touratech rally location, I'll try to ride some of it while i'm out there
  16. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to resurrect this thread to say that we're doing a ride from Western NC to, well, as far north as we can get in a week of riding before we head for home, and we're leaving in early September. We're going to try to use these tracks as the back bone of our navigation but we're also going to be connecting between some areas that we really want to spend some time riding. We'll probably divert off this track in VA to hit up some trail systems near the Shenandoah and off again in central PA do to the trail systems around State College. We may go ahead an run out east to do the trails in the Allegheny near Marienville while we're there. I'll do a ride report with a fresh update on this ride. I think if there were a good reliable TAT-like track for this, it would get a lot of interest.

We did the TAT last year on 4 KLR 650s:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-first-adventure-ride-the-tat.1077645/

but this year, I've defected from the KLR Kartel and will be bringing my new hot snot enduro bike, an R1200GS. My buddies are convinced they're going to spend the entire trip picking it up off of me.
    slowfall likes this.
  17. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's dry the big 1200 will be fine. Mud might pose a challenge in places.
  18. Highlands

Oddometer:
    The road from covington, va going north through bath county is closed. looked like it was never going to be open again.
  19. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    This year's trip is too short to spend much of it in the mud. If it comes to that we'll just bypass. What I'm really looking forward to is doing some loops in the Shenandoah and PA, maybe two nights camping in each to ride more of it in those places.
  20. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    That's great intel - thanks! I'll start looking at a good alternative for that stretch.