The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Emway

Emway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a darn thing in Ontario, other than cruisers at ridiculous prices. You can't leave the province with one, 300km limit per day then along come the up-charges.

The place where i booked the AT is unlimited mileage. You can go clean across the country if you wish. They must have more lenient insurance regs in QC than here.
    Phil.Ottawa likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The subframe on my 640 has cracked 3 or 4 times:lol3
  3. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Maybe get an app like Google Translate and download French for offline use. Most people especially younger generation will switch to English nowadays but off the beaten path like this they don't get much practice speaking English

There is an outfitters (maybe the only place you see on the gravel road between Senneterre and Parent) where I met the owner who winters in Texas IIRC and speaks perfect English. They had a hotel that burnt down from a forest fire from the train crews but now cater mostly to hunting/fishing types. I think they had gas and basic supplies but that's about it

Besides Parent I rarely meet anyone out there besides the odd pick up truck or bike
  4. Emway

Emway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I do have a bit of a fishing problem (according to the Missus) so maybe we'll come across a place that has a boat to rent for a day. I never go into the boonies without a telescopic rod packed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that outfitter.

I figure I can get by with my meager french. I was bilingual when I moved from Montreal in 1980, but when you don't use the language for 35 years, its amazing how you stumble to recall even some basic vocabulary.

Thanks again, you folks have been a great resource. Much appreciated.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    3 years of French Immersion in school 35 years ago it’s amazing how much I rememberto carry on a conversation.
  6. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    3 years of high school French and 4 semesters in college in the late 80s...I was never fluent, but I could get by a bit. Now I dont remember much of it at all.
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    "je ne parle pas francais"
    That's all my French!
  8. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just rode it the other day on my WR. I personally wouldn't want to be on anything bigger than my little 250 for this section but I would only rate myself as a slightly below average rider. Its definitely more of a quad trail. Two creek crossings with steep banks and loose boulders and one 50meter mud bog.
    jackalsour and cal08 like this.
  9. Phil.Ottawa

Phil.Ottawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have a website or email or phone number? I told him about it and my dad is interested in a rental with them.
  10. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks... al though i may of of not been posting here ..there has been mucho solo work going on in the background as i try and mix TCAT scouting in with crazy local day rides i host locally... no well preserved body going beneath the sod on this end ...:lol3

[​IMG]Wentworth mountain range by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

anyways.. info /picture/ posts HERE if you would like to get the latest update for the NS mainland "eastern" leg of my endeavours....

cheers

Bill
  11. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    Just did this section couple days ago, cannot believe you did it on the guzzi without ripping the exhaust off. Well done sir.
    chief 06 likes this.
  12. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was more concerned about the low hanging sump extender. But video notwithstanding, I probably rode it a little more slowly than you and danced around the rocks.
    wahnapitaeriver.jpg
    V0R2G0 and skibum69 like this.
  13. jacob_ns

jacob_ns fundymoto.ca Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am I crazy that the route isn't published or available anywhere? I've emailed asking for at least Ontario if not the entire route and have heard nothing back. I can't find anything regarding the actual route that I can either look at or import into my Montana.
  14. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    Try them again at graveltravel.ca
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    All of the routes are available for free at Graveltravel.ca. Say thanks to Ted for putting it together.
    cal08 likes this.
  16. jacob_ns

jacob_ns fundymoto.ca Supporter

Oddometer:
    The website says "To order GPS files please email advcanada@gmail.com and indicate which route you would like. We will try our best to reply promptly."

Don't get me wrong, it's a huge undertaking to put together and to offer for free but at the same time, it's like going through a maze to try and find anything. I've emailed with no response so have taken to using the ArcGIS map and manually making the route with the line tool in Google Maps so I can export it to my gps which is a mind numbing experience.
  17. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    use gpsies site for free, it will snap a line down a road any length in seconds especially if it is a google earth labelled road.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I just got caught up with all the emails for gps files, questions, etc. Sorry, took a small break from the web to enjoy a couple of weeks to enjoy some piece and quiet. If you feel you want your money back just ask :rofl
  19. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Slacker! :lol3

Sean :D
    Deadly99 likes this.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Told ya!:lol3
    Deadly99 likes this.