The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks... al though i may of of not been posting here ..there has been mucho solo work going on in the background as i try and mix TCAT scouting in with crazy local day rides i host locally... no well preserved body going beneath the sod on this end ...:lol3

[​IMG]Wentworth mountain range by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

anyways.. info /picture/ posts HERE if you would like to get the latest update for the NS mainland "eastern" leg of my endeavours....

cheers

Bill
  2. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    Just did this section couple days ago, cannot believe you did it on the guzzi without ripping the exhaust off. Well done sir.
    chief 06 likes this.
  3. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was more concerned about the low hanging sump extender. But video notwithstanding, I probably rode it a little more slowly than you and danced around the rocks.
    wahnapitaeriver.jpg
    flipflopdog, V0R2G0 and skibum69 like this.
  4. jacob_ns

jacob_ns fundymoto.ca Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am I crazy that the route isn't published or available anywhere? I've emailed asking for at least Ontario if not the entire route and have heard nothing back. I can't find anything regarding the actual route that I can either look at or import into my Montana.
  5. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    Try them again at graveltravel.ca
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of the routes are available for free at Graveltravel.ca. Say thanks to Ted for putting it together.
    cal08 likes this.
  7. jacob_ns

jacob_ns fundymoto.ca Supporter

Oddometer:
    The website says "To order GPS files please email advcanada@gmail.com and indicate which route you would like. We will try our best to reply promptly."

Don't get me wrong, it's a huge undertaking to put together and to offer for free but at the same time, it's like going through a maze to try and find anything. I've emailed with no response so have taken to using the ArcGIS map and manually making the route with the line tool in Google Maps so I can export it to my gps which is a mind numbing experience.
  8. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    use gpsies site for free, it will snap a line down a road any length in seconds especially if it is a google earth labelled road.
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I just got caught up with all the emails for gps files, questions, etc. Sorry, took a small break from the web to enjoy a couple of weeks to enjoy some piece and quiet. If you feel you want your money back just ask :rofl
  10. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Slacker! :lol3

Sean :D
    Deadly99 likes this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Told ya!:lol3
    Deadly99 likes this.
  12. Emway

Emway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, kudos for getting your Guzzi through there unscathed! We rode this section a week ago Sunday. Only regret was starting from Capreol at 1pm and not having time to stop and wet a line along the way. Was also very surprised at the condition of the road the last 25kms or so before hitting Hwy 560. It's like a gravel superhighway. Fully ditched on either side, and extremely wide.

We camped near the trail that night, and woke to quads and side by sides going by our tents starting at 7am! Only after about 3 groups went through dressed in orange did I realize that bird season opened and the hunters were out in full force. It was odd for an area that's usually very quiet.

Thank you for posting that vid, btw. Was nice to get an idea of what we were in for before we headed up.

Cheers
    Brenski, Deadly99 and nick949eldo like this.
  13. Brenski

Brenski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ x 10! ^^
    I went through that section last week. If I had seen Nick's video beforehand I might not have. Glad I did though. Beautiful ride along the Wanapitei River!! I saw two vehicles head down Fire Lake Rd.; a red Mustang convertible dodging boulders coming south, a young guy, (well, younger than me) said he had been to Westree to visit family; two side-by-sides going south, couples out for a day ride; and then several ATVs and pickups on the Sandy Lake Rd. section.

I had to take a third run at making it up out of the ditch at the washout. The first time the back wheel spun and sunk into wet sand. Backed up as far as I could and took another run with strategically placed rocks; same result only deeper. So I dug out enough to move the bike, filled the hole with rocks, and moving the bike (BMW F700GS) back and forth with more rock, had the back up up about 6". Made it up this time. Good riders would have cleaned it the 1st try! (The actual coordinates of the washout are N47' 13.41", W81' 00.194").
    I had planned on continuing north to Timmins on gravel but by the time I reached #560, I thought the better of heading up another road new to me with daylight waning. There will be another day!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    nick949eldo and skibum69 like this.
  14. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Sent two emails about a month ago. I haven't heard anything back yet.
    Any chance the GPS files are still available? I'm happy to donate a few bucks for a sticker and support the site.
    Is there a reason this route map/GPS file isn't just on the website from a shared drive on Google, Dropbox or the like?
    I contributed a photo in 2011 when the 'site was under construction' - still seems to be that way.
    I look forward to a 'prompt reply'.:y0!

15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Sometimes Ted is away from his desk, try PM'ing Deadly99 from here and see if he picks up. He's just starting to get Dakar fever again so should be spending more time in the asylum.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Sent you a PM :thumb
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  17. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    You're the man, Ted. I thought you may have disappeared on some remote part of the TCAT. :lol2
    Thanks for the files.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    blaster11 and skibum69 like this.
  19. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the most recent release of the TCAT tracks? I had planned a trip two years ago that didnt happen, but looks like it will for 2019. I have version 5.4.
  20. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s the version I’ve been using for the last couple of years including for the BC leg this past summer.
    KTM Mike likes this.