The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Going to release revision 7.0 early in the New Year. Digging through some emails folks have sent in with feedback about the route. A few changes are needed and more info will be added to the route description on the website.

It was a busy year on the TCAT. A few groups went to coast to coast and a bunch did weekend and week sections of the route. I'm pretty stoked people are still enjoying it after all these years. I did a few sections myself in 2018 and had a great time.

Happy New Years

Ted
    Lurkerlou, Serp, blaster11 and 6 others like this.
  2. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great. Thanks. Ill be doing part of Quebec and Ontario sometime this summer.
    juames and Deadly99 like this.
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ted - didnt see your response before I replied to Pzone. Ill be sending you an email to get the updated version in a few weeks then.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  4. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's been mentioned in this thread before ..... but when is the best time to ride the TCAT?? I'm retiring in a couple of weeks & this has been on my bucket list for ages. I may look at bringing my KLX with me (from Oz) or possibly purchasing something similar once over there. Lots to think about.....

tia

griffo

edit - just been advised that it will cost US$3200 for an import permit PLUS shipping to get my bike into the US....... :( there goes that plan...
    cal08 likes this.
  5. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late July, August, September I imagine is perfect. Muck would have dried up and the snow melted in the mountains.
  6. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    But not late September. This year we got 2 feet of snow in Western Canada the last week of Sept. It eventually melted but most of the AB/BC TCAT would have been a mess.
    powderzone likes this.
  7. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends on whether you’re riding east to west or the other way around. Let’s assume you travel West since it’s the most common choice.

Forest fires in B.C. (and the smoke, trail closures etc) peak in August. There’s snow at higher elevations (including the passes you’ll take) until the 2nd to 3rd week of June. It starts snowing at elevation end of September.

Heat in the east is highest in July / August. Rainy in April/May.

If you move at a solid pace it’s 60 days +/- 5. A little faster or you cut out sections due to weather, trail conditions, trees down, or fatigue (all will happen)...and it can be done in 45 days. It’s a lot longer than the TAT.

I’ve been riding it in sections for two summers now. It’s a beast. If I was going to hit it all at once, I’d leave the east coast in late May or early June and be finished at the north end of Vancouver Island before end of July.

If traveling eastward I’d leave mid/late June and just suffer through the eastern summer heat /humidity. It’ll feel cool compared to Oz.

Just buy a bike here and sell it when you finish.
    dml9, cal08 and griffo1962 like this.
  8. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lost Aussie and I have been riding it for a month each year for 4 years from East to West we have a part of BC to finish this year after he had some bike trouble last year causing us to abandon early . We have run it with no agenda and just get done what we get done , camped and cooked all the way . It's a fantastic trail and we feel rushing it means missing so much , it's been put together by guys who love their sections and riding it just to put a notch in your belt we think misses the point .
    However each to their own and ours is just a point of view .
  9. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Good point @shearboy2004

That's what I've been doing as well but have had the benefit that I live right on the TCAT so I can dabble section by section and dedicate 2 weeks each summer to riding bigger sections. I too have stayed flexible with my trip objectives and daily mileage...some days I crush it and other days, I sleep in and ride at a leisurely pace. The reality is that Canada is a huge country and the TCAT is the least direct way across it. If the goal is to hammer it coast to coast...there are better options. But I also feel that bypassing sections due to weather, trail conditions, fatigue, or to meet up with someone along the way doesn't make the ride less pure...its just different. I've skipped small segments only to return a couple of weeks later to check them. I won't have that luxury as I tackle the eastern half next year so I'll just ride what I can.

This summer I'll finish up the Western half and ride the Vancouver Island sections. I can't wait.
    Deadly99 and shearboy2004 like this.
  10. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    Maybe we will run into you Mate .
    powderzone likes this.
  11. powderzone

Oddometer:
    That would be great. I'm shooting for the last week of June. Was going to try to convince @jackalsour to meet up when he's done playing around in AK.
    jackalsour likes this.
  12. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the detailed response.

I'll have no time limit so there's no rush. it'll take as long as it takes.....

I was sort of planning on eat to west but that now depends on where/when I can find a bike. I never realised how short the season is up there, I was sort of thinking of a March start & October finish but that looks to be too late.

I'll keep my eye out on the flea market for a suitable bike

cheers

griffo
    powderzone and shearboy2004 like this.
  13. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    P8200018.JPG I think a lot of bikes fit the bill , I have been using an old 88 R100GS and Calvin has been on his trusty DR650 , we are camping almost every night so have a lot of gear along .
    griffo1962 likes this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The above pics show the boys in Labrador which used to be a great 1500 km dirt road. Unfortunately for us offroad types they have paved almost all of it in the last few years. Yes it is still pretty and quite remote but less interesting. The railbed across Newfoundland is still 900 km's of dirt before you head north or west. There is an inmate working on putting together an offroad route through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to replace it but he has not been able to get a complete run yet. May is still considered early in Newfoundland and if you go through Labrador it will still be mostly winter up there. Depending what you want to do I can put you in touch with the Nova Scotia guy and he could pass on some options for you I think. You will be wanting cold weather gear no matter when you come over as you will hit the weather somewhere along the way for sure.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  15. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    We were lucky enough to get across Labrador before the paved and loved it !
    I agree on getting the very best wet weather gear you can although we have only had rain in Newfoundland really , Labrador it only rained at night which was perfect for keeping the dust down and there's something nice about laying all comfy in your sleeping bag at night listening to rain on the tent .
    I carry a heated jacket and have good heated grips .
  16. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have had many visitors doing the TCAT. The east to west show up in early June but find it cold with the icebergs but it gives them time to enjoy the ride to BC. The west to east come in Sept and though the days are shorter and the nights cooler here. I have had tires waiting for the change from road to dirt and vice versa.
    If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
    DKCJ, jackalsour, cal08 and 3 others like this.
  17. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Fatally,
    We have to get together and talk while at n00bs. I've been planning to do a Trans-Canadian trip with chunks of the TCAT in there, but could use recommendations. What do you drink? I'll be sure to bring some.

- Marty
  18. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Marty, look forward to meeting you at DVNR. Only a couple months away!! There will be 5 Canadians in our group and more are registered. Our group has three Albertans, one from BC and another from Ontario so you will be able to get some regional colour as well. I have crossed the country east to west and south to north a couple times and am happy to chat about whatever you are planning. Cheers, David
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    And if you need help - @damurph is the man in NL to get it for ya! He is a true gentleman and ADV Legend through and through!
    nick949eldo likes this.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks C-Stain, I'll remember that.