The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Emway

Emway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, kudos for getting your Guzzi through there unscathed! We rode this section a week ago Sunday. Only regret was starting from Capreol at 1pm and not having time to stop and wet a line along the way. Was also very surprised at the condition of the road the last 25kms or so before hitting Hwy 560. It's like a gravel superhighway. Fully ditched on either side, and extremely wide.

We camped near the trail that night, and woke to quads and side by sides going by our tents starting at 7am! Only after about 3 groups went through dressed in orange did I realize that bird season opened and the hunters were out in full force. It was odd for an area that's usually very quiet.

Thank you for posting that vid, btw. Was nice to get an idea of what we were in for before we headed up.

Cheers
    Brenski, Deadly99 and nick949eldo like this.
  2. Brenski

Brenski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^ x 10! ^^
    I went through that section last week. If I had seen Nick's video beforehand I might not have. Glad I did though. Beautiful ride along the Wanapitei River!! I saw two vehicles head down Fire Lake Rd.; a red Mustang convertible dodging boulders coming south, a young guy, (well, younger than me) said he had been to Westree to visit family; two side-by-sides going south, couples out for a day ride; and then several ATVs and pickups on the Sandy Lake Rd. section.

I had to take a third run at making it up out of the ditch at the washout. The first time the back wheel spun and sunk into wet sand. Backed up as far as I could and took another run with strategically placed rocks; same result only deeper. So I dug out enough to move the bike, filled the hole with rocks, and moving the bike (BMW F700GS) back and forth with more rock, had the back up up about 6". Made it up this time. Good riders would have cleaned it the 1st try! (The actual coordinates of the washout are N47' 13.41", W81' 00.194").
    I had planned on continuing north to Timmins on gravel but by the time I reached #560, I thought the better of heading up another road new to me with daylight waning. There will be another day!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    nick949eldo and skibum69 like this.
  3. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Sent two emails about a month ago. I haven't heard anything back yet.
    Any chance the GPS files are still available? I'm happy to donate a few bucks for a sticker and support the site.
    Is there a reason this route map/GPS file isn't just on the website from a shared drive on Google, Dropbox or the like?
    I contributed a photo in 2011 when the 'site was under construction' - still seems to be that way.
    I look forward to a 'prompt reply'.:y0!

4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes Ted is away from his desk, try PM'ing Deadly99 from here and see if he picks up. He's just starting to get Dakar fever again so should be spending more time in the asylum.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Sent you a PM :thumb
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    You're the man, Ted. I thought you may have disappeared on some remote part of the TCAT. :lol2
    Thanks for the files.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    blaster11 and skibum69 like this.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the most recent release of the TCAT tracks? I had planned a trip two years ago that didnt happen, but looks like it will for 2019. I have version 5.4.
  9. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s the version I’ve been using for the last couple of years including for the BC leg this past summer.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Going to release revision 7.0 early in the New Year. Digging through some emails folks have sent in with feedback about the route. A few changes are needed and more info will be added to the route description on the website.

It was a busy year on the TCAT. A few groups went to coast to coast and a bunch did weekend and week sections of the route. I'm pretty stoked people are still enjoying it after all these years. I did a few sections myself in 2018 and had a great time.

Happy New Years

Ted
    Lurkerlou, Serp, blaster11 and 6 others like this.
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great. Thanks. Ill be doing part of Quebec and Ontario sometime this summer.
    juames and Deadly99 like this.
  12. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ted - didnt see your response before I replied to Pzone. Ill be sending you an email to get the updated version in a few weeks then.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  13. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's been mentioned in this thread before ..... but when is the best time to ride the TCAT?? I'm retiring in a couple of weeks & this has been on my bucket list for ages. I may look at bringing my KLX with me (from Oz) or possibly purchasing something similar once over there. Lots to think about.....

tia

griffo

edit - just been advised that it will cost US$3200 for an import permit PLUS shipping to get my bike into the US....... :( there goes that plan...
    cal08 likes this.
  14. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late July, August, September I imagine is perfect. Muck would have dried up and the snow melted in the mountains.
  15. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    But not late September. This year we got 2 feet of snow in Western Canada the last week of Sept. It eventually melted but most of the AB/BC TCAT would have been a mess.
    powderzone likes this.
  16. powderzone

Oddometer:
    It depends on whether you’re riding east to west or the other way around. Let’s assume you travel West since it’s the most common choice.

Forest fires in B.C. (and the smoke, trail closures etc) peak in August. There’s snow at higher elevations (including the passes you’ll take) until the 2nd to 3rd week of June. It starts snowing at elevation end of September.

Heat in the east is highest in July / August. Rainy in April/May.

If you move at a solid pace it’s 60 days +/- 5. A little faster or you cut out sections due to weather, trail conditions, trees down, or fatigue (all will happen)...and it can be done in 45 days. It’s a lot longer than the TAT.

I’ve been riding it in sections for two summers now. It’s a beast. If I was going to hit it all at once, I’d leave the east coast in late May or early June and be finished at the north end of Vancouver Island before end of July.

If traveling eastward I’d leave mid/late June and just suffer through the eastern summer heat /humidity. It’ll feel cool compared to Oz.

Just buy a bike here and sell it when you finish.
    dml9, cal08 and griffo1962 like this.
  17. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lost Aussie and I have been riding it for a month each year for 4 years from East to West we have a part of BC to finish this year after he had some bike trouble last year causing us to abandon early . We have run it with no agenda and just get done what we get done , camped and cooked all the way . It's a fantastic trail and we feel rushing it means missing so much , it's been put together by guys who love their sections and riding it just to put a notch in your belt we think misses the point .
    However each to their own and ours is just a point of view .
  18. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Good point @shearboy2004

That's what I've been doing as well but have had the benefit that I live right on the TCAT so I can dabble section by section and dedicate 2 weeks each summer to riding bigger sections. I too have stayed flexible with my trip objectives and daily mileage...some days I crush it and other days, I sleep in and ride at a leisurely pace. The reality is that Canada is a huge country and the TCAT is the least direct way across it. If the goal is to hammer it coast to coast...there are better options. But I also feel that bypassing sections due to weather, trail conditions, fatigue, or to meet up with someone along the way doesn't make the ride less pure...its just different. I've skipped small segments only to return a couple of weeks later to check them. I won't have that luxury as I tackle the eastern half next year so I'll just ride what I can.

This summer I'll finish up the Western half and ride the Vancouver Island sections. I can't wait.
    Deadly99 and shearboy2004 like this.
  19. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe we will run into you Mate .
    powderzone likes this.
  20. powderzone

Oddometer:
    That would be great. I'm shooting for the last week of June. Was going to try to convince @jackalsour to meet up when he's done playing around in AK.
    jackalsour likes this.