The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the detailed response.

I'll have no time limit so there's no rush. it'll take as long as it takes.....

I was sort of planning on eat to west but that now depends on where/when I can find a bike. I never realised how short the season is up there, I was sort of thinking of a March start & October finish but that looks to be too late.

I'll keep my eye out on the flea market for a suitable bike

cheers

griffo
    powderzone and shearboy2004 like this.
  2. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    P8200018.JPG I think a lot of bikes fit the bill , I have been using an old 88 R100GS and Calvin has been on his trusty DR650 , we are camping almost every night so have a lot of gear along .
    griffo1962 likes this.
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The above pics show the boys in Labrador which used to be a great 1500 km dirt road. Unfortunately for us offroad types they have paved almost all of it in the last few years. Yes it is still pretty and quite remote but less interesting. The railbed across Newfoundland is still 900 km's of dirt before you head north or west. There is an inmate working on putting together an offroad route through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to replace it but he has not been able to get a complete run yet. May is still considered early in Newfoundland and if you go through Labrador it will still be mostly winter up there. Depending what you want to do I can put you in touch with the Nova Scotia guy and he could pass on some options for you I think. You will be wanting cold weather gear no matter when you come over as you will hit the weather somewhere along the way for sure.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  4. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were lucky enough to get across Labrador before the paved and loved it !
    I agree on getting the very best wet weather gear you can although we have only had rain in Newfoundland really , Labrador it only rained at night which was perfect for keeping the dust down and there's something nice about laying all comfy in your sleeping bag at night listening to rain on the tent .
    I carry a heated jacket and have good heated grips .
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have had many visitors doing the TCAT. The east to west show up in early June but find it cold with the icebergs but it gives them time to enjoy the ride to BC. The west to east come in Sept and though the days are shorter and the nights cooler here. I have had tires waiting for the change from road to dirt and vice versa.
    If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
    DKCJ, jackalsour, cal08 and 3 others like this.
  6. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Fatally,
    We have to get together and talk while at n00bs. I've been planning to do a Trans-Canadian trip with chunks of the TCAT in there, but could use recommendations. What do you drink? I'll be sure to bring some.

- Marty
  7. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Marty, look forward to meeting you at DVNR. Only a couple months away!! There will be 5 Canadians in our group and more are registered. Our group has three Albertans, one from BC and another from Ontario so you will be able to get some regional colour as well. I have crossed the country east to west and south to north a couple times and am happy to chat about whatever you are planning. Cheers, David
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  8. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    And if you need help - @damurph is the man in NL to get it for ya! He is a true gentleman and ADV Legend through and through!
    nick949eldo likes this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks C-Stain, I'll remember that.
  10. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    d’oh!!! I didn’t forget you on purpose, Mike! Lookit the time I posted - coffee hadn’t kicked in yet.

And @skibum69 has an excellent spot in New Melbourne and another ADV Legend - he and his Missus are the most gracious of hosts...

(When we went to CroMag a few years ago, they were still talking about @skibum69. Dude knows his beer!)
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That's a little better:lol3
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    You realize I’m still hungover from my night at your house, right?
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Come on back and I'll fix it for you.:lol3
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I believe I am finally caught up in responding to emails. If you emailed and havent heard back from me...could you email again?

Thanks for everyones patience, I slipped way behind with the holiday season then cyber following the Dakar

Cheers

Ted
    Phil8dirt and powderzone like this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ted was glued to the Dakar for the whole event.:lol3
    Deadly99 likes this.
  16. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Quick question for you all. I read a description of this route on the TCAT site that says it is mostly a paved route but when I look through the pictures on here I see a bunch of dirt riding. I really do not have interest in a road ride so wondering if someone can give me a percentage of pave vs dirt of the ride?? Thanks all.
  17. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only rode the BC section so I can't comment on the rest but it was about 90% dirt. It was beautiful.
    cal08 likes this.
  18. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden Manitoba, SK, AB and the mainland portion of BC TCAT...other than getting fuel in towns, it was at least 90% gravel. Overall for the half I’ve ridden I’d guess that the breakdown is 10% paved, 50% gravel secondary roads / active forestry roads, 25% deactivated forestry roads, 15% farm tracks/dual track. If you bypass sections you’ll end up riding pavement or gravel transiting to the next section.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  19. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Well thats sounds perfect!! Anyone have a report on the east half of the trip?? Thanks for the response so far.
  20. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From reports I have seen on the priaries people think there is nothing to see so they stick on the pavement to blast through and miss all the spectacular back country that is part of the TCAT and not at all flat and boring, it is forest, rivers, valleys, hills, don't be a fool and miss it all.