The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    d’oh!!! I didn’t forget you on purpose, Mike! Lookit the time I posted - coffee hadn’t kicked in yet.

And @skibum69 has an excellent spot in New Melbourne and another ADV Legend - he and his Missus are the most gracious of hosts...

(When we went to CroMag a few years ago, they were still talking about @skibum69. Dude knows his beer!)
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a little better:lol3
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    You realize I’m still hungover from my night at your house, right?
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Come on back and I'll fix it for you.:lol3
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I believe I am finally caught up in responding to emails. If you emailed and havent heard back from me...could you email again?

Thanks for everyones patience, I slipped way behind with the holiday season then cyber following the Dakar

Cheers

Ted
    Phil8dirt and powderzone like this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ted was glued to the Dakar for the whole event.:lol3
    Deadly99 likes this.
  7. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Quick question for you all. I read a description of this route on the TCAT site that says it is mostly a paved route but when I look through the pictures on here I see a bunch of dirt riding. I really do not have interest in a road ride so wondering if someone can give me a percentage of pave vs dirt of the ride?? Thanks all.
  8. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only rode the BC section so I can't comment on the rest but it was about 90% dirt. It was beautiful.
    cal08 likes this.
  9. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden Manitoba, SK, AB and the mainland portion of BC TCAT...other than getting fuel in towns, it was at least 90% gravel. Overall for the half I’ve ridden I’d guess that the breakdown is 10% paved, 50% gravel secondary roads / active forestry roads, 25% deactivated forestry roads, 15% farm tracks/dual track. If you bypass sections you’ll end up riding pavement or gravel transiting to the next section.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  10. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Well thats sounds perfect!! Anyone have a report on the east half of the trip?? Thanks for the response so far.
  11. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From reports I have seen on the priaries people think there is nothing to see so they stick on the pavement to blast through and miss all the spectacular back country that is part of the TCAT and not at all flat and boring, it is forest, rivers, valleys, hills, don't be a fool and miss it all.
  12. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the prairies. I love the heat in the summer, the endless blue sky matching the unbroken landscape. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
  13. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. The entire SK section was awesome and possibly my fav other than the Chilcotin in BC. What some parts might lack in terms of scenery like the Rockies, more than make up for it with spectacular riding and dual track.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  14. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Ontario portion was great, plenty of gravel and no complaints at all on what pavement there was.
    powderzone and shearboy2004 like this.
  15. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Can you give any sort of percentage pave vs not?? Sounds like the western stuff is 90 dirt... I did the TAT in 13 and was disappointed with the eastern stuff as it was quite a bit of pavement... I did quite enjoy the grasslands of Oklahoma on the trail...
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    When we were putting the route together some of the most beautiful pics were from the prairies. As for the east now the Trans Labrador Highway is at least 3/4 paved which took all the fun out of it. Newfoundland the island is still 95% dirt on the T'Railway and there is another mostly logging road route that will get you about 3/4 the way across. The Quebec options have to be at least 90% dirt. There is a guy trying to put a route together across Nova Scotia and New Brunswick but he's running into issues as he goes. One day.
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    90+% of the entire route is non paved roads and trails. Paved roads were only used to get from point a to point b where gravel wasnt available or suitable and also to get into and out of towns/cities for fuel, etc.

Brraaappp
    jackalsour likes this.
  18. Eean1975

Eean1975 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree...the Sask TCAT was awesome! Its too bad people divert straight through and miss the diverse terrain the whole route has. Im going to tackle Alberta late spring.

19. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That music you used was.....not my fav. Good shots tho.
    Motopsychoman, blaster11 and windplay like this.
  20. Eean1975

Eean1975 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freebie iOS music and edited in about 5 minutes on the phone....beggars cant be choosers lol. Its pretty terrible I agree.
    cal08 likes this.