The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    been up the west side of hwy 11 north of huntsville and yeah its rough in spots easier heading south as there are two uphill sections that can be tricky if things are wet.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  2. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did this route this weekend, here’s some more food for thought. 3 of us, KTM 790, Husky 701, and DRZ 650. Two experienced and one amateur.

Topic one (road closed). We kept going, you’re only on it for 10-15kms before you turn off. It was fine, no issues and we were able to stay on track.

Topic two (atv trail). We took the trail (3 of us). Two up and wet it wouldn’t be a fun trail, but we had 1 day of luggage, and three of us, so we did it. It’s a bit rough in areas but it’s passable. We met a R1200GSA and a (I think) Africa Twin coming the other way.

Topic three (seguin trail). Definitely there’s sections when it turns to really loose sand or worse, really lose rock. Had more than a few moments going through. Alone I would be more cautious. Our slowest rider averaged 40kmh through here.

Prepare to double your time through the trails. We planned 6-7hrs to Sudbury (from Kawartha Lakes). We ended up driving straight from Magnetown to Sudbury on the highway, and totalled a 10hr day.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trail updates! Much appreciated. We made it to Parent QC. Damn that road is a pain between the truck traffic and the loose silt sand on it. Particularly bad north of where the TCAT breaks west for the last leg before Parent. Camped outside of Parent, then headed south to check out the hand ferry. I'm sorry to say the ferry is gone. One long Rocky uphill was a challenge as I lost momentum after a bad line. Thought I was going to get stuck. Now in Mont St. Michel for gas. Then back on the trail.
  4. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am starting the TCAT in Winnipeg and dropping off in Thunder Bay. Does anyone have advice for a newer rider for this route? Type of riding this section will be, trail conditions, where to camp, anything else?
    Also, is it worth heading west of Winnipeg for a couple of days to see any views? I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and already see Lake Superior daily, so that is why I am skipping the TCAT section that goes around the lake.
    piratexpress1369a likes this.
  5. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how the route is between Timmins and Wawa currently? I know it's known for wash outs, any now that are impassable?

We leave Timmins in the morning.
  6. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your about to tell us! :D
  7. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are right!

We made it from Timmins to Wawa in two days. Not bad on a big bike two up. Though the first 150 kilometers being pavement helped.

Absolutely no issues with washouts from Island Lake Road through Wawa. Several "old" ones that were super easy to cross. We did see many partial washouts extending partway across the trail as well. I'm sure that one big heavy thunderstorm could easily make them become an issue.

I'll be doing a ride report later and will post a link here. We had a hell of a good time. Three days with thunderstorms messed up our plans from Ottawa to Calabogie and Huntsville, forcing us to bypass some trail. After that perfect weather. But now we've reached the end of our TCAT ride, and have to head home and face work....damn.

My hat is off to Ted and the many others that put this route together. Fantastic job !
  8. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Ottawa to Huntsville is some of the best riding! You'll have to go back, just a word though if your doing 2 up on a big bike you could be in for some challanges. On that stretch.
  9. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I heard it was tough for a big bike, let alone two up, with buckets of rain coming down at times. We did do some (not tons) south of Pakenham to Calabogie....until the rain started again.
  10. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Here is what it looks like...

20180609_102542.jpg