The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Here is what it looks like...

20180609_102542.jpg
  2. wallygatoresq

wallygatoresq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi - my brother and I are looking at riding the TCAT in BC in late July and I have a couple of questions.

Can you camp along the trail like we can with Forest Service land in the US where you basically find a nice spot and set up camp or will we need some kind of permit? I read the FAQ on http://graveltravel.ca and it sounds like we can cowboy camp in most spots.

Our bikes are licensed in the US, will we need to have any vehicle permits to ride the TCAT in Canada.

Last one - I have looked all over for the GPS files and emailed http://graveltravel.ca (and donated via PayPal) but no luck. Are the files available on another site? So far I haven't been able to find them.

Travis
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Travis,

Camping yes you can find spots

No special permits required to ride in Canada,

I have a very detailed track for all of BC (not including island) - however my buddy rode the entire thing more recently and has a better track,,, I'll get it from him, DM me and I'll get it to you..

Cheers

gpfan likes this.
  4. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey I see I can upload them here... done... I included the entire track V5.2 which I'm sure there are newer and my buddies track more recently completed and also all the Forestry Camp Sites... plus if you look around I'm sure you can find the camp map of all the participants on the forum also.... Good Luck !!

Attached Files:

gpfan and CavReconSGT like this.
  5. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TCAT 5.2 file includes fuelling points and designated camp sites. In BC, there are hundreds of free forestry camp sites which have limited facilities - usually a latrine and fresh water source.
    Elsewhere, primitive camping is totally fine. Even if it isn’t, you won’t get shot over it.
    My camping spots along the TCAT have included;
    a farmer’s field with a bull (didn’t know when I setup), middle of the trail in northern Saskatchewan after a massive day, under the awning of an abandoned church, outfitters cabins, forestry sites, provincial camp sites (least favourite), a baseball diamond, and a 4 star hotel where I still used my jet boil (restaurant closed).
    Have a great trip!
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a glitch somewhere on the gravel travel site if he couldn't download the tracks? Ted are you awake?
  7. wallygatoresq

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for uploading these and the info on camping sites
    gpfan likes this.
  8. wallygatoresq

Oddometer:
    The site asks that you email for them which I had and hadn't heard anything. Today Ted did email the files.

Any advice about the trip wold be great, not really worried about the riding conditions so much as making sure we have any required permits and know where to camp along the way so that we don't end up getting ourselves in trouble.
    gpfan likes this.
  9. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    A big Hello to all on here, didn't know about this thread at all despite my intensive trawling posts etc and I will go back and read through in it's entirety all 207 pages. We (x2, Me and a UK ride buddy) are attempting to ride the FULL TCAT trail start to finish East to West including Vancouver Island then up through Yukon around to Anchorage (time permitting). 5 Months riding we have allowed ourselves. We will be setting off around the 1st or 2nd of June from Signal Hill and using the latest updated trail route from Ted with very intensive POI input.
    What I want to ask everyone on here that have wild camped is did you log the way point of the spot and can I ask a brief description of it. It's a big ask I know but it's our intension to wild camp most of the way. Anyone offering a camping spot on there land would also be appreciated greatly.
    I will start a trip ride report and update as I go. I can't tell you how excited we both are about this words fail us, fingers crossed that the Corona virus doesn't affect global air travel to the extent that Trans Atlantic crossings become a 'No Go'...!!

All input on here or on my ride report thread (soon to follow) would be greatly appreciated . You guy's have the knowledge and experience at hand and if your willing to help a couple of Brits by sharing this with input then 'Brilliant' and Thank You...!!

MEZ & BILL
    Bikes : CRF500L & CCM450adv
  10. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have ridden the whole thing to Vancouver and will do the Island and a bit more this year . Wild camping across the TCAT is easy just find a gap in the trees and pitch a tent , we wild camped pretty well the whole way across without a problem .

One bit of advice , at all costs avoid camping or moteling it between Pemberton and Vancouver . crowded , stupid expensive and basically an interstate .
    gpfan, CavReconSGT and flipflopdog like this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hey Flipflop, I'm the Newfoundland rep for the TCAT and am opening my Moto B&B this year. If you have any questions or are looking for a place to base out of to get prepped for the trip PM me and I'll do what I can to give you a hand. The local BMW dealer is my shop sponsor so I can help arrange anything you might need from them. We are 160 km's from St. John's, about 100 km's north of the main T'Railway. I'm sure you might appreciate a Moto centric location to get sorted before you leave.
  12. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shearboy….

Skibum we will most definitely come to yours to setup no worries. We must of course visit Signal Hill for a thread start up photo but indeed it would be great to be in a Moto environment to finalise some do's and don'ts . I hope you sell beer ????
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
  14. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    There it is, the birth of the TCAT, I'm going to read the whole saga and was wondering which page (page 7) the name would crop up, TowPro take a bow...!!!
    cal08 and gpfan like this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It's only 208 pages, you should be done by lunch:lol3
  16. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    No time for lunch..... Page 20, fantastic to see how it all came about and the photo's . Fantastic big effort from you Ted much appreciated indeed..

Edit : page 40 now, I have to say, my anticipation and excitement has doubled if not tripled by reading this thread not to mention the appreciation too...….

Edit : page 90 now, mezmerised by the shear beauty of Canada...
    skibum69 likes this.
  17. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    While I understand where you are at in your planning asking about camping sites - Don't worry about it! There is SO much open remote space in Canada it will not be an issue at all if you want to wild camp. A little looking around will find you a dead end pull off or something of the sort that will be fine for you to put up at overnight. Don't worry about finding other peoples campsites, it will just crunch your timetable too much trying to make it to a certain campsite by dark... just go with the flow. I found that if/when weather calls for a roof over your head at night, a little time on the cell phone will usually turn up the nearest motels to where you might find yourself. Keep your plans loose, much less chance of things falling apart that way. Enjoy!
    rwebell and flipflopdog like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    As has been stated somewhere before in Newfoundland it is legal to camp anywhere it's not private property and I've found if you do end up on someone's land they'll just invite you in anyway. Give 'er!
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  19. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m near the trail, just west of Ottawa. Lots of space, good shop, heated pool. DM for details when you get close.
    flipflopdog likes this.
  20. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Ok, finally read my way through this whole thread, picking up mainly on the folk who have made it and those who have travelled it and skimming replies but still took forever...!!! Gent's I have to say you have created something here truly amazing within the overland travel world. I got the bug for TCAT several years ago but have only since reading this thread have realised what I'm truly taking on and that is down to some of the great pic's posted along with ride report details..!!
    I've relaxed on the Bear issue, I've relaxed on the wild camping situation and more than anything I've got a far more clear prospective of things to come and how I'm going to deal with them/it...!!!
    Small question, is there a 'Hall of Fame' kind of list of riders who have completed the full ride East to West including Van Island..???

My Little Honda almost there with the prep, also very confident I have just about the ideal bike to do this on, 500cc twin with some offroad ability.
    IMG_6885_LI.jpg