The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The number of people who have ridden it all can’t be very large.
  2. Cartera

Cartera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To everyone who is familiar with the Ontario portion. I'm looking to ride from Perth to wawa around August. My two big concerns are fuel range and how overgrown are the trails?
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    300 km range would be more than sufficient. I cant say what it looks like this spring but it has been travelled quite a bit last year and the years before. Should be in decent shape for the most part.

Cheers
    Ted
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    No hall of fame. Maybe 30ish people have done it end to end. The Alberta/BC section and the Quebec/Ontario section each see a couple hundred people doing it per year. These sections get done the most due to their proximity to larger populations.

Have a safe trip

Cheers
    Ted
    skibum69 and flipflopdog like this.
  5. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Gonna be 2021 judging by world affairs now Ted, cutoff date is mid july for setting off from St John's would've thought and can't see Canada back online by then for flights etc
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We know on our end, bummed not to be able to open the B&B this year. Good you can plan a rework for next year, we'll be here.
    MGV8 likes this.
  7. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode from Parent Quebec to Wawa last August, 2 up on a 990. Rain early on messed us up down near Calabogie. From some bits we did ride down that way, I did find it a challenge two up on a big bike. Had it been dry we likely would not have bypassed parts we did. Between North Bay and Sudbury - the one high bridge was a no go for us. To damn many ties missing with logs laid in that flexed so much I could not see them holding the weight of the bike) We chickened out and bypassed. Then between Sudbury and Timmins, one washed out culvert was a challenge but we got around. Gas was not a big issue - we did fill up at Half Way Haven - could have made it all the way to Wawa, but it would have been cutting it close. Nothing was really over grown in Ontario. We did find some trees down as an aftermath of some of the storms - most we dragged out of the way or went over. One farther south required some cutting...and an ego bruise. (see pic!) Lots of bear shit on the trail approaching Halfway Haven and from their towards Wawa. IMG_20190810_154451836_HDR.jpg P8080536.JPG IMG_20190810_154639782_HDR.jpg
    DKCJ, ArthDuro, Maddin and 5 others like this.
  8. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the GPX files Ted...hopefully it will dry out/warm up enough to get out on the trails soon. Judging buy the amount of rain we got on Monday I a pretty sure it will be a mud fest for the next couple of weeks.
  9. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I rode the section from Perth to North Bay with a DRZ400 with a stock sized tank. I carried a jerry can full with me the whole time and never touched it, I just made sure I stopped at every fuel option. I do not know if there are longer legs once you get past North Bay but I assume there would be. Its been several years but there was no issues with trails being overgrown, most are used enough for atv and sled use as well and they are kept mostly open.
    rwebell likes this.
  10. Cartera

Cartera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I used to ride sleds all over the province including similar areas. I never had a issue with fuel range, but seeing the gravel travel write up makes me think I'll need extra. I've got and would bring my roto pak for the trip.
  11. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea.
  12. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Hello gents, I'm hanging on to chances of our full TCAT trip happening by a slither, what are your thoughts of a cut-off point timewise to set off from Signal Hill..?? I was thinking mid June.. Of course this could be right out the question but then again you never know, Crystal Ball anyone..???
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Right now anyone entering the province of Newfoundland is required to have a 14 day written quarantine plan upon arrival. I do not know if any other provinces are applying similar protections but it might shag with any schedule you are hoping to apply. If you arrive at an international airport it requires you to isolate for 14 days before you would be allowed to pick up your bike. Arriving from NY as you stated the border is closed until May 21(?).
    As for timelines for travelling mid June is not unreasonable it just depends on your rate of travel verses amount of enjoyment and everybody is different.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Same goes for Nova Scotia so that puts 28 days of isolation for you, I'd go back to looking at 2021. I just did 14 in Halifax and when I go home after this 4 week hitch I'll have to do 14 at home before I turn around and do it again in NS.
  15. LostAussie

LostAussie Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer:
    I remember that bridge! Shearboy and I have ridden it from St Johns to Vancouver a piece at a time over several years. We hope to finish it this August. Sure hope things open back up by then!
    KTM Mike and powderzone like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    What direction are you going?
  17. revitup

revitup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I'd be interested riding the Perth Wawa trail. Retired, like to camp, ride a 2019 KTM 690. Am good to go as soon as the trails dry out. The sooner the better. I've been cooped up for way to long!
    G-Mac, windplay and piratexpress1369a like this.
  18. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    So, today was our flight day out to JFK, here's hoping we can fulfill our aim next year to ride the full TCAT east to west and get to meet some of you guys in doing so.. FB_IMG_1590675239742.jpg
    gpfan likes this.
  19. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better luck next year. Hopefully we’ve put this pandemic behind us by then.

For motivation, I’ll just leave this here:

A couple of buddies and I just did a loop through sections of the Saskatchewan and Alberta TCAT. It was an opportunity to retrace my route from a couple years ago when I rode from Manitoba to the Pacific. Don’t let anyone tell you there’s sections worth skipping...especially the prairies. It’s all awesome!
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Yep. My plan was to use at least parts of the TCAT this year heading to Deadhorse and Tuk for a 4 month trip. It looks more like it is postpoed to 2021. Hope to see you guys next year. I'll be heading east to west also from CT or NH.

KR
    flipflopdog likes this.