The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Hello Gents, so, need to get my rescheduled (2021) TCAT MotoExpo extraviganser in order so I want to know the very earliest I can start it from Signal Hill ( @skibum69)..??? I don't mind toughing it out first month temperature wise its the snow that I'm concerned with more than anything. I would like to bring it right forward and start off beginning of April.. Thoughts from you guys please..????
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    April is very very early! If it was like this year you would be knew deep in the snow. May is about as early and anyone gets riding here and they are the tough folks who know how to dress for it. It is still not uncommon to get a dose of snow in May. Labrador is always some time behind the island for weather, June is early up there too.
  3. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Damn it, I was afraid of this being the answer, perhaps beginning of May...??
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Labrador is going to be your hard part as they are so far north into long term snow country
    flipflopdog and CavReconSGT like this.
  5. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Looking to hit the Lingham Lake Rd section in Ontario for a little ride with my daughter in the coming weeks. Anyone been on it recently? Last time I thought I remembered it being well improved and easily 2-up able but just looking to confirm my memory.
  6. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I hear Masagoona Hydro line is a good alternate? Anyone have a gps of it from 41 to 62? Looks like lots of options in there and I’d like to avoid big mud holes if possible seeing as I’ll have my daughter.
  7. jxvak

jxvak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks ! going to try out the B.C portion starting west of Williams lake. Looks ok for wildfires in the north ,but as it dips south it looks like B.C is burning up:annie
    Hope everybody makes out o.k this year and no lives are lost. Stay safe

burnin b.c.png
  8. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    massanoga hydro line is fun but rocky a couple of muddy spots but not deep, what is your daughters skill level and what does she ride? the forest access rd from weslemkoon lake rd to huges landing is just a road with many options to explore. you can get to the north end of lingham but you will have to backtrack. mayo lake rd is a blast as well with many options , backroad mapbooks make a guide that is very handy. sadly i do not have any tracks.
    cal08 likes this.
  9. Eean1975

Eean1975 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Just finished the BC TCAT last week and back to Coleman AB. I now have a complete backroads there and back loop of Western Canada without repeating any roads. Love the TCAT!
    yyc_mike, BenzADV59, MGV8 and 6 others like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Looks like you folks had a good run!
  11. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. Congratulations on your journey. Sending a pm.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lingham Lake road has been vastly improved over the past few years, easy going ride for sure and the water crossings are shallow and safe at the moment. I will second Mayo Lake Rd. is another good ride, tie in Arda trail, Grassy Lake trail, and Sleeper Lake Road for a nice loop.
  13. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the confirmation thanks. I will look up those other roads too. My daughter will be riding on the back of my bike, she's 10 and this is our first "adventure" together, father and daughter. It will be on an F800GS.
  14. ststrider

Oddometer:
    With your daughter on the back masanoga not recommended but huges landing fine also o'donnell rd from flinton to hwy 41 is nice. as mentioned mayo lake and don't forget the milkshakes at the chip truck in mcarthurs mills are excellent. where are you starting from.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You can always make her walk around the tricky bits.
  16. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Gunna have to look over some maps with all these road names, I only briefly passed through there 3 years ago maybe doing the TCAT. This time we will start at the west end of Lingham Lake Rd and head East. From what you all are saying sounds like it might be good to loop north and come back that way to our start. I'll be trailering the bike there as its a 4+ hour trip to even get there from where we live and I want to keep the trip enjoyable for her :)
  17. ststrider

Oddometer:
    Lingham lk rd is good with one water crossing that is crushed rock which gets churned up by atvs water is never more than knee deep but the loose rock can throw you around the other water crossings have good bottoms.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  18. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Sounds like just the kind of needed bit of adventure to make a memorable ride for a 10yr old girl :)
    skibum69 likes this.
  19. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tcat on the island.... no gas in nitnat fyi. Community closed. Was just there. Currently in Bamfield, which while there is a big sign that says no visitors, is actually welcoming all visitors. Also the mount sicker road appears to be gated
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Accurate info here, southern BC is not currently having a bad fire year at all, with a couple exceptions. The 'map' in your post perhaps suggests otherwise:
    https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis....b1514974a9ca00bdbfffa3b1&mobileBreakPoint=300
    Eean1975 likes this.