The Meandering Geezer in Idaho

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Aug 9, 2013.

1. NicorAdv

NicorAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed that way first week of May.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh, my eyes my eyes. Medic, I need a medic!:D

:lol3
    [​IMG]
  3. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we're all itching to get out into the desert and camp and ride and everything I'd like to call your attention to something you've already seen. Ants. This pic was a google earth screen shot of a two track east of Steens Mt in Oregon.

[​IMG]

The light areas without vegetation are the ant hills. You can see the dark area of the cone in the middle. Two track road to the right for scale. Without going to look, this might be the Argentine ant which is spreading or possibly harvester ants (red ants that have a stinger like a wasp). Note the "highways" between the hills. The Argentine ants don't fight each other (A political lesson we could learn) but are hell on anything else. There are probably 100,000 to 200,000 ants per hill. You can see areas like this all over the west. And we don't notice them much. Usually. But southern states, South America, and Africa have real problems with them. They just don't show up from satellite as well. There are 1 million ants per person world wide. All 7 billion of us.

Just saying...

Look around a bit before setting up the tent. Don't piss them off.
    pratered, NicorAdv and waylongway like this.
  4. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    Coordinates...?:jjen
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    42°35'43.40"N
    118° 8'13.80"W

Ants Link to Google maps (be sure to switch to satellite view)

But you can almost pick places at random. Seems to show up better in GE in drier sage brush.
    waylongway likes this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So, went visiting family in SLC. On my northwet trip we went through a number cities of varying sizes and I'm beginning to see that really the only difference in cities anymore is the weather. Same with SLC. When I was growing up on the Wasatch Front there were quite a few different towns but now it's one city from Tremonton to Spanish Fork, say 150 miles or so. There's one city from Bellingham to Eugene along the I-5 corridor. etc. etc. Seems all cities are full of freeways full of pissed off drivers. Change lanes in front of someone and hope they haven't already levered one into the chamber. Same if you're going the speed limit. And there's the freeway ballet: someone speeds up, pulls in front of you, then slows down. Wonder if they can see my lips moving. If it's raining or snowing, you speed up. And windshield wipers don't do anything in a tweet storm. Got as far north as Malad. Says exit. I do.

And head west for sagebrush therapy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fifty miles without encountering a single car. Tension just melts away. I don't have to kill anyone today!

Worked so good I had to frolic with the beast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHHhhhhhhhhh...
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Stole this from Sasho on the Missoula thread.

[​IMG]
    Clem Fandango, DaveWave, LC1 and 8 others like this.
  8. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m ready let’s go.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Me too. Only... Gonna be busy for a while. Moving to Port Angeles WA. Close on new house on June 5. Hopefully things will settle down for a new THAG. 3500 - 4000 miles worth.:ricky
    pratered likes this.
  10. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you need help moving ,I’ll bring a rain coat.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Welllllll.... Seeing as how you're a railroad man and mebbe got some connections (ew...) Oh. wait. no railroad in PA. Thanks anyway.

Oh yeah we're kinda close to Sequim and the Olympic rain shadow so not as much rain.
    black top bob and pratered like this.
  12. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sequim is Indian for dry desert!
    Good look
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Oh. Sequim. No wonder people were looking at me funny for calling it Squirm.
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    You going to start a new thread for your Washington wanderings?
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Wellll..... It sure ain't Idaho. The coolest thing about this thread is that there is no single "Meandering Geezer" It's kinda like taking a '49 Willys and ramming it into a ripe almond tree. Pretty quick you're covered in them. There are simply all kinds of geezers out there. Drooling, farting, stumbling and crawling all over the place. Especially those of us that went and got born in the first half of the last century. We have a different point of view. So maybe we need to start a thread of geezer adventures. Then all those drunks, weirdos, miscreants, ruffians, babes (!), anarchists, trouble makers and lost souls I've enjoyed hanging out with the last few years will finally find a place to hide.
    KHVol, Stovebolt, pratered and 2 others like this.
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Splat!

Olympic Base here.

The Geezer has landed.
    Stovebolt, Ladybug, thirsty 1 and 6 others like this.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    When's the party? :D Enjoy your new home.
    KHVol, pratered and waylongway like this.
  19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    MC,

Good thing we have our BUGOUT bunkers next to each other so as to preclude saying any real "farewells." Fare the well anyway, but only 'til next time I see you, Good Sir!

You can find our MLS listing now - it went live with Sotheby's a few days ago and there's a valley-wide open house for us on Tuesday. So all these agents (miscreants, all) will be crawling all over my place in our absence. I'm leaving all my IPSC trophies out in plain view - including all the Tactical 3-Gun championship stuff with camo and bushes and black rifles and such. They can make of my reloading bench display what they may. But they better not mess with my stuff - just sell my house.

Then, I will be gone from Teton Valley and like you, Dave.... embarking on the next adventures. Can't wait to visit with you at our neighboring hideout AO's amongst the grizzlies and such!

All the best, and keep your Ural dry my brutha....

Rally on,

Stovey
    Ladybug, WoodrowBDR and LC1 like this.
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So, yup, I survived. 60 days without riding and I didn't kill anybody or nothing. But I did go and get me a new backyard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were all taken from the Obstruction Point Road. I got some 35 miles from the house at the farthest.

The next one is the Juan de Fuca Strait. There's a notch in the shoreline on the left of the pic and that is the mouth of Morse Creek, where I now live.

[​IMG]