The minor adventures of a motorcycle courier

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JoeyBones, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Hogan

Hogan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm well aware that using any flight of stairs in DC as a makeshift jump is means to have at least 10 guns pulled on you by members of various government agencies. It still seems like a decently fun time regardless. I'm sure not quite the same, seeing as launching off said stairs is part of the joy of the job, it might be worth looking into. Although, I feel I probably am too late what with the invention of the internet, and e-mail, and blackberries, and all sorts of things that make life more convenient, there is probably much less of a demand for motorcycle couriers, but they probably still exist in limited quantities.

You're right though, if I did get such a job, I wouldn't be able to pull of the same stuff, I would have to obey at least the minimum... But then again, if I get a supermoto... Is there really any other way to ride one?
  2. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you make it happen, better make sure you tell us all about it :)
  3. OmegaRunner

OmegaRunner The Total Package

Oddometer:
    Truly great stories. Your writings are a nice change from the usual ride reports.

thanks

Aloysius
  4. Hogan

Hogan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For sure! I've already been looking into it... Well, the bike I 'need' anyway... I think a new WR250X is in order, now I just need to find the job itself hahaha.
  5. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I managed to find that pic of me on my TS185 in Montgomery, AL in 1979 (could have been early 1980). My brother was dabbling in photography at the time and took this b&w pic.....

[​IMG]

We built the ramp ourselves and played around in the field behind my dad's house. I seem to recall that my record was 37 feet....

This is the bike that I used to drive down the railroad tracks, as mentioned earlier in this RR. Somewhere, I think I have a pic of that girl from England who broke her wrist on the back of my GS450 (well, OFF of my GS450, technically speaking.....).
  6. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!! Love it, the pic scanned perfectly.
  7. wa.tarider

wa.tarider transalper

Oddometer:
    Now that's adventure!!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride and even some history:clap Try to get the magazines to run them. You are that good!
  8. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    7 years in the game in London,got me where I am now.Cx500,s CB250rs,s VT500,s GT550-GT750,S all part of the game.Went every where,Seen every thing.Delivered everything,everywhere,legal documents to frozen rabbits.
    7 in the morning London winter,pitch black,rain,snow,freezing,gail blowing.Summer swealtering none of that all the gear stuff,watching the girls go by in Soho.Celebrities,Royals,Judges,CEO,s.Models actually the only real shitheads.
    A huge gang of us all working in different companies,meeting up in the weirdest places,always drinking tea,coffee sitting waiting for the next job.
    The summer lul,the christmas rush,being sent one up to Croydon,being sent the other direction from home last thing at night.
    Two top boxes one bungeed to the back seat,handlebar muffs,waterproof worn all day so the sweat cant get out and you end up soaked anyway.
    Sitting in some reception in full raingear,freezing outside but roasting inside,dilema to take it off or not.
    7 whole years,the best of times and the worst as the saying goes.
    One of the old gang walked in to my bar in Ecuador today and writing this the only thing I really miss is the boys,we,re all middle aged men now.But those indeed were the days.
    To any old London despatch riders on here.
    Here,s to Us,who,s like us? Damn few and they,re all dead
    Albert theturtleshead
    ex GLH,TURBO EXPRESS,ADDISON LEE,ANDERSON YOUNG,MACH 1 AND REUTER BROOKS.
    Phipsd and zoomungus like this.
  9. andrew150

andrew150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the stories. I have watched some documentaries of bicycle couriers in NYC, pretty cool!

Andrew
  10. MoBill

Oddometer:
    That was long long breath brother...but I enjoyed it.
  11. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Ah my friend in 7 years there were so many stories,so many incidents,people,I,if I wasn,t so lazy could write a book,but I don,t have the literary talent of Mr Bones.
    The job left me with so many things,I,m never lost,I can deal with anyone from the best to the worst,Tenacity,driving all day in the shittiest conditions,Perseverance,finding that impossible address and most of all the ability to make rapid decisions,the best one being to get out of it and be my own boss in South America after 7 years of having Radio controllers who were dumber than me telling what to do all day whilst giving all the cream work to their suck-up buddies.
    I keep a photo of my old CB250RS behind the bar to remind me of the good old days and to remind me why I work so hard at my business,cos if that shit don,t work I,ll be climbing back on board.
    Al theturtleshead
    if you,d like to know what one of the things I do now check the BEER IN ECUADOR thread in the Latin American regional section.
  12. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Deal!
  13. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    OMG I bet YOU have some stories to tell! It's hard to really capture the craziness, the "live for the moment" attitude, the "deliver or die" way of life in writing, but you should try.

And I really forgot to write enough about the weather. Driving in the rain all day long for three days in a row, driving with Hippo Hands, a Throat Coat and every piece of clothing I owned and seeing the electric sign on the bank say FIVE degrees (F). Learning that when the Bank signs downtown got up to 50 degrees I could take the gloves off. Struggling to keep envelopes dry in snow and driving rain and high winds. Keeping an eye peeled for ice. Trying to maintain enough speed (wearing shorts and a t-shirt) to not die in the sweltering heat of Washington DC in August....

Of course, that same sweltering heat brought out the babes in skimpy outfits. I actually parked once long enough to go hang out at a Polo match on the Mall near the Lincoln Memorial, just for the "scenery". I saw Linda Blair of Exorcist fame downtown once, and tried to talk to her, but some security guy of hers put a stop to it.... I actually dated two receptionists I met.....

I can't imagine SEVEN years. I did TWO and although I wish I'd given it a little longer, seven seems like tempting fate!
  14. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    I guess thats the other talent given to me by the job,everyone said you.re going to open a bar in Ecuador,you,re tempting fate aren,t you!!! 9 years later there are two of them and a microbrewery.
    On Wednesday this week I finance my new business in Colombia,it,s a Mining Geophysics company.I know next to nothing about geophysics,when I moved to London I knew nothing about despatch riding,when I moved to Ecuador I,d never been behind a bar(in front of a shit load of course)So my old mates by going to Colombia I,m poking fate in the eye once again.
    Fuck it whats the worst that could happen!!!
    Al theturtleshead
    ps sorry about the highjack
  15. MoBill

Oddometer:
    :lurk Ahem....new ride threads soon please.

Hey Joey...I'm leavin the US way soon...posted a "see ya" thread over in inmates, if ya like stop by and say 'bye'...I'd love to see at least one "hit" LOL.

I'll be back on in a few weeks (maybe days) internet willing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379684
  16. BSK

BSK Ohhh mist! Die Bullen!!!!

Oddometer:
    this thread is awesome!
    reminds me of my pharmacy messenger days in the late 90s during high school in West Berlin, Germany.

I dont have those awesome stories though!
  17. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Good bump for an awesome thread!
  18. bcbadger

bcbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaahh.... reminds me of my old days as a motorcycle messenger in Vancouver, BC. I had a DR 200 and a DR 650 which gave their lives so that I could earn a living. Rain, snow..... nothing kept the 10 or 12 Vancouver riders from delivering everything from documents to tires, and even human eyeballs destined to be used for cornea transplants. Good times. Thanks for starting this thread and bringing back some great memories.
  19. MoBill

Oddometer:
    You're on deck!! More please....

:lurk :lurk
  20. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great stuff, I like your quick, concise writing. I wanna ride stairs too... :evil