The Mobius Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DR. Rock, May 23, 2008.

1. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    So all the behind-the-scenes work has been steadily going on to make the magic happen...

5X10 storage unit waiting in Flagstaff: check.
    Tires waiting at Valcom in Trinidad: check.
    Parts for maintenance & repair bought & packed: check.
    DRZ registrations renewed: check. (almost missed that one) :augie
    Spot activated and set up: check.
    Weather patterns monitored: check.
    Clothing & gear selected: check.
    Packing: that's what we're up to...

[​IMG][​IMG]

A couple of things to point out in the above photo. First, since we've left a bunch of gear out west (boots, tent, etc), we thought we could get away with packing everything into a single EMS pack-pack, especially since one of them was destroyed by the airlines last time.

The good news is everything fit in there. The bad news is it weighed 70lb. :doh. With the new airline baggage restrictions, we're each allowed only one checked bag, less than 50lbs. :dunno So into Chinatown we went, and procured the finest in woven plastic valise. We separated the heavy hard stuff (tools, parts, etc.) -- 30lb, and put it, double bagged, in the immigrant-luggage, and left all the soft stuff in the big duffel -- 40lb. So we're set, it would seem, except for the size restriction of 62inches (L+W+D)... that big mother is 67" no matter how I measure it. So we'll see if Delta is going to be hard-asses about it.

Another thing you'll note hiding amidst that pile of gear is a new passenger for this ride... We introduce to you...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ms. Adventure Bunny! :clap:clap:clap

Yes, like Mr. Happy Puppet, Ms. Adventure Bunny is a moral booster, but more importantly, she has a rendezvous at the end of our trip with our niece Lilliana in Flagstaff (whom we've NEVER met(!).

Here she is with her big brother, Leo, having an adventure of their own last summer:

[​IMG]

The plan is to bring Ms. Adventure Bunny along with us, photograph her having all sorts of adventures along the way, and then present her to Lilly when we get there. LDF says this will help teach her that girls can have awesome adventures too, but I think Lilly is well on her way to understanding that already. :brow

For now, though, Ms. Adventure Bunny (Ms. A.B. from here on), will have to boost morale, starting with consoling me for having sat on my glasses and broken them:

[​IMG][​IMG]

No way am I getting them replaced before next saturday. Luckily, I have a spare pair... a little old and outdated. LDF thinks they make me look like a massive geek. Ms. A.B. agrees:

[​IMG][​IMG]

So that's where we stand, about to embark on Mobius II... or "how to travel from Albuquerque to Flagstaff in 2 weeks and 2300 miles" :D
    MewZiKat likes this.
  2. vagstrom

vagstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have had this on my bookmark bar to read for way too long. i guess i was intimidated by the length of it, but wow am i kicking myself for this. :baldy im waiting for you next chapter which will be read asap. maybe ill see you tomorrow.

P.S. i got the strom!!!
  3. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know if you just took 40 West youd be at your nieces in just a few hours?

:hide
    Have a great trip you two:freaky
  4. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Woo Hooo! :lurk
  5. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, good luck you two......have fun! :D
  6. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Ahh, thanks for the well wishes (and abuse), guys. Yes, we'll be at the Ear tonight... I'm hoping to see the 'strom there, Nate. Congrats :thumb... now who's going to carry the rat-bike torch on our rides? Ginzer's 'hawk is gone, now you... what's the world coming to?

So here's the link to the Spot shared page I set up for tracking:

http://tinyurl.com/MobiusII

Before you click on it, note the following: :deal

They have a limit of 500 visits in a rolling 7 day period. A visit is counted each time the page is closed. So if you're going to be tracking us over a period of time, like while you're at work, stuck behind a desk, (:brow) please leave the page open as long as you can, rather than opening and closing the window each time you want to check where we are.

I have a second page set up for family, so if this one locks out for a day or two, they'll still be able to follow us. :D
  7. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Good Luck! :thumb
  8. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Whoa, just found this report yesterday. :eek1 What a fantastic trip! Safe travels for Part II, have fun and stay safe.
  9. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 Been meaning to read it, never got around to it. Just now finished it after 3 days. Thanks for the hard work of the RR, it's excellent and I look forward to part 2.

Woulda been done sooner if I was behind a desk, on the internet all day.... like a few people I know.

:hide

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by woodworkernyc
    Full?? - In the middle of nowheresville? What? Pronghorn season?

This is gettin' good..........:lurk

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That shoulda been 2 to 4 people at the most in them thar neck of the woods (cue dueling banjos) :D

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  10. woodworkernyc

woodworkernyc dirty

Oddometer:
    Very, very true...
    F & D - have a fantastic and safe ride!!!!!!
    Looking forward to Mobius, part deux
    :clap
  11. Black06LJ

Black06LJ ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer:
    See you two tomorrow! :wave Looking forward to meeting ya'll and layin down a few dusty miles together. :ricky Have a safe flight.
  12. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    What I trip.
    I keep dreaming about visiting foreign lands, and your report shows me that there is so much to see here in US, that it's almost pointless going somewhere else until you've seen it all (which could take lifetime).

Great report :)
    MewZiKat likes this.
  13. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Well, the good news: It doesn't look like Hanna is going to interfere with a direct flight between NYC and Albuquerque at 6am tomorrow. :thumb

[​IMG]

The bad news is: unfortunately we don't have a direct flight from NYC to Albuquerque... we have a connecting flight through Atlanta. :(:

We'll see what happens. Regardless, it's been a productive day: I was up most of the night at work, which got me home around 11am today...
    I brought LDF's F650 out to DakarBoy for some TLC, PM, tire changing, babysitting while we're gone, and general massaging, (thanks for the ride to the train station, Keith... I made it with time to spare, and no $5 surcharge since the ticket booths were closed. :clap.

Picked up my new glasses! Thanks "EyesOnBroadway" for coming through. :clap.

Received the FedEx from Overland with the spacer and the passenger pegs for the TerraMostro so LDF and I can ride two-up to pick up her BMW as soon as we return... thanks Blaine! :clap.

Got a nice PM from WoodworkerNYC about the ride report he's writing about riding around the same area we'll be in: (We've got you beat C, we're turning 323 miles from Alb to Flag into 2300mi over 2 weeks! :wink:) Thanks for the 411 on weather and gear, Christian! :clap

Got a $5 haircut at Atlas Barber School (no #3 attachment, so instead of my usual 1-2-3, I had to settle for a 1-2-3.5). I hope it doesn't throw off my game. :brow... Thanks Michael! :clap.

Now I'm having a nice glass of George Dickel Barrel Select that randomaussie sent me from out on his TAT adventure (I'll try to call tonight and pick your brain)... thanks, Scott! :clap

And after I take a shower, I'll go up to the roof, and send out a Spot test "help" message, and then sip whiskey until I hear confirmation from our faithful ADV "spotters". thanks Steve, John, and Ethan! :clap

Then I'll go to bed early, 'cause tomorrow's going to be a long day... but made much more better by an Albuquerque ADV'r who has volunteered to swing by our storage area, and help us prep the bikes, and then ride out of town with us... thanks Todd! :clap

This is going to be an awesome trip, and, while we won't be posting daily updates, (or maybe at all), until we get back, I already feel like we're not riding alone. A humble and heartfelt :bow "Thank you" for all the well wishes and positive vibes; we'll be bringing you along in our heads, and taking photos of things we hope you'll like to see, and collecting stories we hope you'll like to hear. Until then, you can track our progress here:

http://tinyurl.com/MobiusII
  14. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Let's just get Murphy over with, and out of the way:

I'm up on the roof, sipping whiskey, and waiting for my cellphone to beep that the test "help" message is bouncing around the ether and finding it's way to the intended targets... and nothing. :scratch

So I come back downstairs, and log in to our Spot account, and find the following message:

"SPOT shared pages are currently undergoing maintenance and are unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    ALL 9-1-1 SERVICES CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED AT ALL TIMES.
    Check-in and Help messages may experience some delay. Tracking messages will be viewable upon completion of the maintenance period.

SPOT shared pages service is currently in beta mode, and will continue to undergo maintenance and upgrades as we continue to refine features and performance."

"SOME DELAY..." you can say that again. I hope no one is actually trying to call for help!

:rofl

Since I had to come back downstairs for a refill... my temporary solution:

[bring the bottle upstairs. :1drink]
    MewZiKat likes this.
  15. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, it works. 12x. Damn accurate too, the Google map loaction shows you're on the roof! Cant see the bottle of whiskey though!

At least we know it works even if sent during a maintainence period. Maybe a half hour delay during that time.

Have a great trip Dave & Francine :clap
    MewZiKat likes this.
  16. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm amped up and waiting to hear more tales from the trail. Stay Safe!
  17. kl Richard

kl Richard This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer:
    You gotta realize; it's bad for ya....but to hell with that, enjoy!!!! I'm having one now, and I raise my glass to you and LDF!!!! I wish you both good luck and a safe journey!!!!!!!

BTW....Please post your RR as soon as possible.....I'm starving up here; least wise till I leave for our annual CB run in two weeks:cromag
  18. Black06LJ

Black06LJ ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer:
    Well...
    Dave and LDF safely arrived in ABQ "International" airport at about 13:00 today. Shortly after that they pull up to the self storage joint in their yellow cab. Introductions were exchange and we proceed to the storage unit where the DRZ's were still sleeping comfortably.
    Murphy was in full effect as the afternoon pasted all too quickly. I'll leave the details and pics to Dave's expert RR writting skills, but let it be said that we were finally on the road by 17:00.
    After a quick fuel stop we're off and rollin East on Rt. 66 through the Sandia mountains where we take 14 North to the Sandia Crest Road. Nothing like reaquainting one's self with a bike than riding ten miles of paved twisties followed immediately by about 10 more miles of gravel and hardpack twisties. Once back out on the pavement, we ventured down to Bernalillo where we unfortunately had to part ways. Dave and LDF continued north to Cochiti Rec. Area to camp for the night and I took the long way home.
    Best wishes and safe travel guys. Can't wait to see your ride report when ya get home. We'll all be watching on your Spot unit. Wish I could have tagged along for the whole ride. I am so jealous! :ricky :ricky
  19. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    Roll on now!
  20. iroman

iroman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is just AMAZING!!!!!!:clap