The monster Monster thread! (formerly Why not a Monster)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JustKip, Nov 29, 2012.

1. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it, replied.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update: My poor friend is getting on in years and was a bit confused. Yes it is a 2007 Monster 695. But it had 600 miles on when he bought in 2008. He put almost 5000 on before retiring it in his garage in 2013 so it has about 5500 miles. It had a 600 Mile service in 2008 and he has a record of an annual service at a Ducati dealer in 2013 before putting away. Note on service paper states needs new chain. Had a 14 tooth front sprocket installed. He doesn't remember if he ever swapped tires, so could have original tires at end of life. Definitely had the tank swell issue.

My thought, is it still needs to have gas drained and replaced with fresh non ethanol gas. Use an injector cleaner for tank or two. Oil change and brake flush. New chain, possibly sprockets if rusted. Inspect valve belts and replace if dried and cracked. Probably tires.

What am I missing? What do you think would be a fair price?

Thanks!

Rick G
  3. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    You're going to get answers all over the map on this...my 2 cents...

Replace the belts first. They "age out" and you're well past the 5 year life. If they break, it is catastrophic, not worth the risk, IMO.

Replace the tires. Again, well past any expected lifetime, your life is worth more than they cost, unless, of course, you really don't like your son-in-law. :lol3

New brake fluid, see above.

I don't know why an o-ring chain would be worn out in 5500 miles other than through neglect or if the bike sat outside. I'd clean it, lube it, and see how it is before I replace it. I'd replace chain and sprockets together, use a riveted link, steel sprockets, and go with stock gearing. If I wanted to change the gearing, I'd go up one tooth on the back, not down on the front, much better for chain life.

New oil and filter. New air filter, just b/c who knows what lived in there.

Drain the tank, fresh gas.

New battery.

See what happens.

Good luck!
  4. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Based on description, what would you pay for it?

Rick G
  5. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    That's a very difficult question, what's he asking? This is, essentially, a non-running, who knows what you've got kind of bike. OTOH, low mileage, and he's apparently a friend.

KBB says $4200 retail. I think anything less than $3000 starts to be "in your favor" b/c of the risk. Also depends if you're doing the work yourself or going to a dealer. Again, how much is he asking?

One other thing, you don't say if the valves were checked at 600 miles, which they should have been. I'd do that as well, again, could be cheap or costly depending on who does the work. If no valve check documentation, $2500 might be more appropriate.

You also don't say whether the bike is otherwise cosmetically perfect. If not, well...

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 5.26.58 PM.png
    Don03st likes this.
  6. Rick G

Oddometer:
    So far he hasn't given me a price. I went over with him what should be done and what it would cost at dealer. My son in law who I am buying the bike for, would do some of the work. I am just the ATM!

I was thinking $2500 might be fair with unknowns. $2000 or less even better.

Rick G
    redlabelmoto likes this.
  7. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Another way to look at this...what else is available in your area that's running? And what are they asking? A low mileage, good condition, running bike at 3500-4k might be substantially less risk.

And, your son-in-law might not even like the bike, notwithstanding you're the sugar daddy...
  8. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
  9. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Saw that. My son in law likes Ducatis and likes working on bikes and cars. He was actually more excited about this bike than the prospect of me stashing one of my bikes in his garage for me when I am down there and for him when I am not.

Rick G
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Then go for it! I've found there are essentially two types of car/bike owners: those that like to maintain, and those that like to restore.

Both have their merits, and are not mutually exclusive but rather situational.
    Rick G likes this.
  11. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
  12. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I made a deal with the owner today. As long as we don't have to put more than $3000 into bike, we will be OK based on what they are selling for. (Do the math) I will be able to buy the bike and give my SIL an extra grand or so to help him get started on maintenance and repairs. He is quite excited and looking forward to working on it.

This is our hit list:
    Oil & filter plus air filter inspection and replace if needed.
    Valve inspection and new belts
    Brake Flush and inspect pads for glazing
    Chain as we know it is rusted.
    Inspect sprockets and replace if needed.
    Inspect spark plugs.
    Drain tank then flush and fill with fresh non ethanol gas and injector cleaner
    Fuel Filter & O Ring
    Battery
    New Tires.

Then we fire it up.

Rick G
    Kevm likes this.
  13. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    You're gonna need a battery...

:hide

but congrats and good luck!
    Kevm likes this.
  14. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Added.

Thanks.

Rick G
  15. Twinguy

Twinguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replace the fuel filter and fuel lines in the tank. Don't forget the Outing.
    Ca-Cycleworks has everything you need.
    redlabelmoto and Rick G like this.
  16. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tip. Added fuel filter to list.

What is Outing?

Rick G
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Rick G likes this.
  18. redlabelmoto

redlabelmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Rick G you are on the right path here. Kudos to you for not raking the seller over the coals and paying him a fair price. Even with these miles the bike will still wake up nicely.

I will add that you should replace the rubber fuel hose inside the tank while you are in there. Its a special type of submersible efi hose. Oreilly’s has it. 5/16” I believe. That hose breaks down over time and one day you won’t have fuel pressure as a result.

This guy in Italy has the deals. Marcello.

https://www.pirinimoto.it/SERBATOIO-TANK-DUCATI-MONSTER-620-800-1000-GIALLO-NUOVO

E5DFE241-9AC1-4E6E-A90F-F6021B157756.png
    Rick G likes this.
  19. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Keep us all appraised of your progress - it's not for me, but I love seeing others bring stuff back from the dead like this.
    Rick G likes this.
  20. Rick G

Oddometer:
    We bought the bike today! Weather sucked for putting on trailer, so we are coming back Sunday when it is nicer out. MY SIL, Blaine is beyond excited and can't wait to get her home and back on road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter and my buddy's wife are about the same size. My daughter got 2 riding jackets 1 leather and 1 mesh, 3 pairs of riding pants including a pair of leather and denim that were virtually new and a pair of gloves. Dad paid $150 for all.

Looking forward to visiting and riding the bike!

Rick G