The monster Monster thread! (formerly Why not a Monster)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JustKip, Nov 29, 2012.

1. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Rick G likes this.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a text from SIL today. He changed all the fluids, new air filter and belts. Put fresh gas in and it fired right up! He is still taking to shop for an inspection and tires. Told me it is very easy to work on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can't wait to visit so I can ride it!
    AllSeasonRider, kickstandsup and Kevm like this.
  3. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding the new Monster 937? I know the looks are polarizing but I’m a fan of middleweight naked bikes in general and looks are secondary to me…plus it is growing on me.
  4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    I'm not a big fan of it's looks, but friend just bought one "for his wife" and loves it. He's had a few Ducatis from 888/916/Streetfighter/Multistrada/Panigale etc, and he's impressed by the Monster. Great streetbike.

I haven't ridden it yet... but he's not shy about listing faults. So far his bike has one glitch - the dealer installed the factory lowering kit and th ebars hit the tank. Apparently if the bars aren't at the right angle (rotation in the clamps) they can hit with the kit installed. No worries, minor scuff and dealer is replacing the tank under warranty anyway.
    Shep likes this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Every review I've seen seems to like the bike considering what it is - not super powerful, not very high spec, but a solid option in a crowded segment. I don't get all bent up about the lack of a trellis, I think there are other things about which hurt it looks more, but I really like the ethos of it. It's a much smaller, lighter motorcycle compared to the rather large 821 and 1200 models.
    Shep likes this.
  6. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be awesome if Ducati took this new lightweight platform and turned it into a true sport tourer...half fairing, bags, single sided swing arm with the belt from the Diavel, relaxed ergos for rider and pillion, and all for no more than 450 lbs wet. They could do that pretty easily, IMO.
    LuvPop likes this.
  7. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FCD31114-48CE-44BF-8CC6-E3BE83267E14.jpeg
    ross, rixcafe, c_m_shooter and 6 others like this.
  8. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do love the naked bikes in this category and I’ve already owned a 790 Duke and a street triple so just looking for something a little different. I had an old, 900 Monster back in the carbed days. It wasn’t a good example!

Had one of those Supersports…loved it.
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no. Ergos not relaxed enough, and no real room for a pillion for any kind of travel.

Pretty, tho.

I think the new 40 lb lighter Monster would make a great "base" for a replacement 950 Multistrada. Put the single sided swing arm on it so it looks good, the belt so that it travels well and the hard bags (all 3) not the soft sided crap.
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    A Multistrada 950 is only 50 lbs heavier than your stated goal if you want a more upright and passenger friendly package.

The new Supersport has ergos that felt really close to my 2012 Monster 1100, for what it's worth. The Supersport is just a Monster 1200 with the 937 engine and a fairing, so it reasonable to assume if they keep that model it might move over to the new Monster chassis, but I'd be surprised if the ergos got more relaxed than it already is or more passenger accommodation with the small Multi sitting next to it in the showroom.

That said, you could be onto something with the small Multi moving to this new platform since the V4 Multi is completely different now as well. I would leave the SS and Mini Multi each on their own bespoke chassis, which doesn't feel sustainable.
  11. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    I get that but the "it's only" approach is why we have the bloated, overweight bikes on offer today. More gizmos and crap that makes no real difference, and significantly more weight that does.

I'm never owning a bike over 500 lbs again, and I think 100 hp/450 lbs is about the "sweet spot" for a street bike. I'm willing to pay for lightness and excellent suspension b/c you use both every mm of every ride.

If Ducati took the same approach on the 950 Multi that they did on the new Monster and lost 40 lbs, they'd be right in the ballpark.
    Shep likes this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'm really not disagreeing with you, but if they shaved 40lbs from the Multi you'd still have a 460lbs bike. I think that's reasonable for what it would be, but falls short of your 450lbs goal.

I'm with you on the sweet spot - my 1100 is 415lbs wet and 100hp and it's on the money as far as I'm concerned.
    kickstandsup likes this.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Damn, that bike looks fooking amazing in white with the red frame and wheels.