The Montesa Cota 314R Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Oct 8, 2013.

1. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only 4 were built.
    Brewtus likes this.
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Awesome. Always had a weak spot in my head for gennie Works Bikes.. :bow

Have fun at the El Trial next weekend!! :thumb
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    With my 4RT awaiting disassembly to repair it's cracked frame, I took the 314 to the HPTA event in Lake Mackenzie, Texas this weekend. The bottom-end knock is still there, but my buddy and League team member K-Rad talked me into competing on it. Oh why not, right? Besides the aforementioned engine knock, the fork seals are hemorrhaging, the front brake pads are soaked in ancient fork fluid, the rear shock is blown, the front tire is the original Michelin and is chunking apart, it carburates terribly, and there is no kill switch. What could possibly go wrong? :lol3

I decided to ride in the Amateur class, mainly worried about finishing on the old gal. Not many pics of it (too busy competing and taking pics of my riding partners). Here it is after completing (and cleaning!!) it's first competition section in well over 10 years -

[​IMG]

The only action shots captured -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day not only did it finish, but managed to win as well! Glamor shot, with a very tired me behind it. Man, this is a heavy bike!! :knary

[​IMG]

I got the usual catcalls of "Sandbagger!" and "Move him up!" at the awards ceremony. The 2nd place winner (an NMTA member and a friend) good-naturely grumbled about me riding that class so I offered him to go out and re-ride 3 sections, him on the 314 and me on his new 250 Beta and we would compare scores. He turned me down for some reason. :lol3

The search is on for the parts to overhaul the bottom end. I'm pretty proud of the old gal, so phase 2 of the restoration will commence! :D

[​IMG]
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 315R needs a 42 instead of 40 rear sprocket, but the only one available is in UK. I thought the hub was AJP and got a Talon T210-42 six-hole sprocket for a Sherco. The 315R uses a smaller Talon T232 and that's UK with ? shipping and eBay saying "this item may not post to USA."

Anyone got a decent 42 in the dust bin? Brutus?
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  6. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Putted around in the garage today on the 315r. It's got a decent knock going. After reading a bit online I'm worried I've got piston slap and need a top end rebuild. Sounds like finding a new piston and rings may be literally impossible. Dennis at overland said he doesn't have them and can't get em. Splat shop in the UK looks to have the pistons but no rings. Any one else have a suggestion?
  7. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
  8. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Danggggg I guess the scarcity of the parts allows them to charge a premium. $400 US for a piston and rings is pretty pricey. Albea has them at quite a steal for $200. Everyone telling me to get a montesa when I was searching failed to mention difficulty in finding some of these basic parts :/
  9. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Now you will have a $1,230 bike that has a fresh engine and clutch! Winning.
  10. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try some good quality fuel. 100+ Octane Race Gas will do. The 315's are famous for knocking with low grade fuel.

You're in the 314 thread.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try Lewisport?
  12. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Shoot damn Google putting me in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
  13. Jco1991

Jco1991 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I own a cota 314R and was wondering if any1 has a piston lmao or if any1 now of aftermarket 1 or 1 of another bike that fits or sumwere that fabricate 1
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I had nearly forgotten this. I rode my old crank-knocking 314R all season long last year with the High Plains Trials Association in the Amateur class. I was convinced that the engine would let go anytime, but the old gal held together. :D I can't imagine that there are many other 314s in competition these days, and riding it last year just made me smile at wrangling it's heft around the sections.

Year-end champ!

20171113_095625.jpg
    Huzband, Norman Foley, Paul7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I received a very special gift this past weekend from the family that originally owned my old 314R -

20180321_164814.jpg

Thanks WB!! :clap
    Huzband, Norman Foley and jonnyc21 like this.
  16. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate to drop in on this old thread, but you did name it "the 314r thread".

I've spent too much of the last couple days looking up parts info for the 314r. There's a bike I can get nearby for cheap. The motor and rear suspension seem good... can never be sure, but it seems that way. The bike seems like it is relatively low hours, and never been raced at the top levels. But the front left fork is leaking, which has contaminated the front brake... which could explain why the current owner thinks it climbs well, but doesn't do so well downhill :) I've found a parts list (in spanish), and spent some time puzzling over it. None of the part #s are of much help as no-one seems to stock/sell them. If it was my bike already, I'd just rip the forks apart, clean what I could, measure what needed to be replaced, and go from there. But as cheap as this bike is, I really don't want to buy it and then just turn around and part it out as un-repairable. There were references to sherco's using the same paioli forks, but that doesn't seem to be the case, the sherco's don't seem to have used USD forks until _way_ later. The 315 apparently used a 38mm paioli, where I believe the 314r is 36mm ... certainly the 315 and 314 parts lists are not the same, similar, but not the same.

Is it a dead horse? Any tips on alternate sources for fork seals?

-Tom
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

I ordered fork seals for mine from Mike at the Tryals Shop last winter -

http://www.tryalsshop.com/index.html

314s are big heavy Water Buffaloes. Clean 'em up, make 'em work, and any 1997 & newer (and even some Air Cooled Monoshocks for that matter) Trialer will run circles around it. Just sayin'.... :D
    tbrown-bc and jonnyc21 like this.
  18. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome. Thank you.

They gotta be lighter and quicker than the TY250R I just looked at (my other option). And it's not like I plan to race it, I just want to sharpen my enduro skills by learnings some of the trials techniques... and even in the enduro world I'm on a pig of a bike (DRZ-400).
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Since the rear shock gave up on Miss Bitters' 315R yesterday, I decided to drag the old 314R out of it's cubbyhole to run the coyote today. I wasn't too worried about blowing the shock or the fork seals since they all leak like sieves anyway. :lol3 Spiked the old buffalo with some fresh Sunoco/Motul mix, and I'll be damned if it didn't fire on the 3rd kick. It hadn't run in well over a year. :thumb

Quickie pic in front of my VERY bug-splattered Dodge dually, in a messy shop -

20191113_154829.jpg

6 laps on a big Water Buffalo with zero suspension damping sure wears a guy out.... :knary
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Has it been a year almost already? Huh. Dug this relic up out of it's cubbyhole, fired it up and ran it around the pit a while. Now if there were only an event coming up soon to take this buffalo to..... :hmmmmm

20201004_105814.jpg

:evil
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.