The Montesa Cota 314R Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Oct 8, 2013.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hair of the DOG!
    Brewtus likes this.
  2. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go see Don at Cascade Motorsports. He has lots of Montesa 314 parts....He's close to you. http://cascade-motorsports.com/
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  3. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    S3 has piston and rings. https://shop-s3.com/gb/piston-/436-piston-s3-racing-for-montesa-hrc-4rt.html
    Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  4. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Johnny, what fuel are you running? the 315 will knock on low octane fuel.
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Totally blown fork seals, blown shock, oil drenched front brake pads, noisy crank bearings...... 2nd place in Amateur today. Not bad for a fat sandbagger on an old bike. :D

20201010_182805.jpg
    BEEF706, DyrWolf, 2whlrcr and 3 others like this.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It's a Honda. You can't kill them.
    Brewtus likes this.
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    True, but when they get cranky they may try and kill you....

How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, @Brewtus style. The 'ol '14 had pumped out the very last dregs of fork and shock fluid on Saturday's NMTA Haystack event. Nothing but spring left in either end Sunday morning. "No problem" my ego said. "Let's do this!!" :gdog

Evidently that's when the fuel needle had decided it had had enough also. This thing vibrates horribly (especially on decel) mostly due to it's very unhappy crank bearings. 5 sections in (on a short loop) the fuel smell was getting worse, and that's when I noticed it dribbling out of the skidplate. No leakies idling, little dribbles on rev-up, LOTS of leakies on the buzzing decel. Dammit. Back to camp, bang on the carb, no change whatsoever. Fine standing still, OK idling, dribbles everywhere else with the vibes up.

Well crud. :(

Thought about "mining for carburetor" in camp, wasn't convinced I could 1) Do the job in the time I had left, and 2) could solve the problem. What the hell, I was riding for fun anyway, and this old beast owes me nothing. It's largely ignored for the better part of a year every year, and I haven't seen the inside of that carb in over 8 years. I let the regular Amateurs battle it out that day, and had beverages in camp before going out to score that afternoon. Shown here with Miss Bitters' Fantic while scoring (ridden out there VERY slowly as to not "spark strike" the skidplate) -

20201011_140326.jpg

More to come. Sometime....
    jonnyc21, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Was in a Honda dealer today. I spy a Montesa 300RR. I notice the spokes on the rear wheel, and think I’m seeing something new. Then I see the rear wheels on the Montesa’s in this thread, and discover the joke’s on me! Anyway, here’s a pic...
    IMG_6258.jpg
    jonnyc21 and LowPSI like this.
  9. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Crap, now I gotta do a better pic!
    IMG_6255.jpg
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    1992 311 Montesa for the spokes, 1987 Beta for the rim and we started using hydraulic clutches in like 1990-91. And 1990 for the full aluminum frame.
    Brewtus likes this.