The Montesa Cota 315 R Thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brewtus is a high level connoisseur of many bikes with a certain patina :-)
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    True. I am getting a hankerin' for building a nice one, though. Problem is, I know I'll just go out and throw it up against a rock. Since my Cota 25 donor is so small, I'm making that one a nice build since it's too little to go do serious stunts on. I have other minis for that. :lol3
    jonnyc21, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  3. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello. How many watts does the stator put out on the 315r? Couldn't find the info on the manual. I need to source a new regulator for my new to me -99 Cota.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    *Sigh*

Miss Bitters hadn't ridden her 315 for the past couple of years, she's been having fun on her 305 Fantic. She had a hankerin' to ride it this upcoming weekend in the HPTA event, so I dragged it out of it's cubbyhole and fired it up on fresh Sunoco/Motul, rode it around to unglue the Sureflex clutch (:fitz), and generally got it warm and happy. Put it on a stand afterward and noticed this -

20191112_154333.jpg

Yup, rear shock just blew it's guts out. :bluduh Oh well, I was ready to have several shocks done this winter anyway. :rolleyes

Just can't have nice things..... :lol3
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sign from God to cut back on beer and burritos...... Maybe the more petite Miss Bitters wouldn't have blown the seal head right out!?! :hide :D
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Yeah, I'm sure that's it...... :rolleyes
    10K, Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  8. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Got Bob laughing, which just a dried out seal wouldn’t! :D
  9. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    DyrWolf, jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to prominently display your packet of Rothmans ciggys and light one upon receiving your trophy! Cool bike!
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Blech!! Smoking a Rothmans was akin to smoking a tire. Not nearly as nice as the Camels I used to smoke. :lol3
    FASTRacing likes this.
  13. ADV57

ADV57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! I wanted to share a video I made on how I modified a 4RT rear fender to fit my 315. Hopefully it will help someone. Thanks.
    Bounder, Rdway60, Mr. M and 5 others like this.
  14. ADV57

ADV57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made a video on how I modified a 1996 CR250 FMF Turbinecore 2 muffler to fit my Monty. It took a few months because my TIG welding skills aren't up to par, but I eventually got it done. The bike has a bit more bark on the bottom end with the FMF vs the slip on screen over the end of the OEM muffler. Hope this helps someone.
    Bounder, Rdway60 and jonnyc21 like this.
  15. motobene

Oddometer:
    Love the 'hope this helps' spirit!

Great work and video. Very clean looking muffler substitution. Sounds just a bit poppy. I wonder pop abatement is why the original muffler is quite long?

The 315R is my favorite 'Hontesa.' Wish I had a cherry example of the last year model. Love that 250 engine. Some parts are not easy to find for the 315, however, so videos like this are great.
    jonnyc21, ADV57 and Rdway60 like this.
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    @LowPSI was doing the Turbine Core muffler adaptation on 315s early on. Nice clean USFS approved spark arresting silencers, if not a bit barky. Every NMTA 315 I ever saw had them, both of mine came with them installed. I found a cherry OE 315 silencer for Roxy's Rat (the Turbine Core was beaten to a pulp), and it has a butt-plug screen in it to satisfy the Dumbest Law Ever.
  17. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did this also to my 2000 315 to ride the Ute Cup in 2000 to get a USFS spark arrestor, easy to do. (Along with a 280 kit, lightened flywheel, advanced timing, a milled head, aftermarket reeds, and Keihn carb.) Let Chris Florin try it, he was all smiles. Carried 1 liter of extra fuel because of the big engine, didn't know how much it would use, ended up giving a half liter to Martin's buddy Mike Griffiths who had run out on the loop. The next time I rode the Ute Cup, I had the large capacity tank on it. No more carrying fuel in my backpack. Put the original muffler back on soon as I got home. The FMF choked the 280 a little.
    Brewtus likes this.
  18. noyolk

noyolk Certified Preowned

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice on who to sent a shock too for a rebuild. Not in any hurry as I have a donor bike to pull parts from, but now it can not stand up on its own. Thanks.....
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    I don't do them any more. Randy Lewis out of California may still do them. The Showa is a nice big shock with a lot of potential. If the seals and reservoir bladder are still good (which they usually are), the Showa is a an easy rebuild. The rod threads and nut are swaged over in complete tamper-proofing overkill, but one can grind the edge around the nut to get the nut off to get at the stack to re valve the shock. No Loktite on the nut when re assembling, but if it makes you feel secure, do use it.

I re valve the Showas because they are notoriously slow, making the bikes they suspend feel dead and heavy. There are a bunch of small diameter shims in the top of the stacks. I use a few of them as lever shims. Speeds them up nicely without getting into wheezy pogoing. And the rebound bypass adjuster then makes sense. Otherwise it's wide open and still too slow.

Here's my spec, freebie... the right two columns. No new shims required. Pretty brainless. The 315 or latest Showas may be differently valved. You can check yours against the first two columns.
    IMG_20200718_112413.jpg
  20. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did one last week and replaced the seal head.
    Brewtus likes this.