The Montesa Cota 315 R Thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Yeah, this stuff is addicting. 3 Montesas, 2 TY80's and a Reflex in the "Scuderia" tell me that I'm hooked.
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    How in the world did you get this hooked on this crazy sport? :dunno

:poser
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

:bluduh
  4. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have two TY80s? Care to sponsor an 11-year-old whose G-G no longer fits?
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

You know, I surely would! That would be awesome to have Erin on a TY!! :thumb
  6. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican

Oddometer:
    Care to sponsor a grandpaw that's never swung a leg over a trials bike? :lol3
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

I knew I should have responded to RideNM in PM....... :lol3
  8. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican

Oddometer:
    I'll take that as a no. :(: :lol3
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Oh, believe me you were not the only one. Just the only one to ask on the open forum! :thumb

Offer only good to 11-year old blonde girls that belong to NMTA and have outgrown their GasGas 50's! :lol3
  10. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican

Oddometer:
    So I'm not alone in the "no money, beg like a dog" trials group?
    I'm afraid those extra stipulations rule me out dammit! :(:
  11. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    NMTA seems to have a run on young, blonde trials girls that ride awesome! Take him up on it Erin and go after all the Novice boys!! :thumb :icy

:ricky :ricky
  12. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - I'm new here and have just seen the Cota 314 pictures.

I have a Honda TLR260F 1994 here in New Zealand (an import), which is identical almost to the 314R - it was the Japan only model and getting parts and details on it are a pain. - but I'm getting there care of Sandifords in the UK who are brilliant.

Can anyone tell me what the engine oil capacity is - I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I reckon it is about 600 to 700ml based on similar Honda trails bikes.

Hoping someone can help me here.

Cheers

Tuscan
  13. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an '01 315R yesterday evening. Couldn't resist a quick spin around the yard before it got dark :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any advice on the best place/brand/distributor to get fork guards? I'd like some of the full length ones as in several of the pictures in this thread. I particularly like the red ones (or real carbon fiber would be nice too - fake carbon bothers me and that's all I've found so far :lol3).

Also, I noticed that most of the bikes pictured here have a chain guide on top of the swingarm that goes between the tire and chain. Mine doesn't have this. Should I get one? What's its use?

Next I'd like to freshen the bike up with new footpeg hangers and pegs. Should I go for OEM hangers or is there a better option? Garthe, are those stock hangers in your picture? Which pegs are those, looks like lewisport has many options.

I'd also like new clutch and brake levers as mine are a tad bent and floppy. Best source? Anyone using something like ASV or ARC levers?

Anything unusual about changing shock oil (that'd be different from doing the same on a MX bike)?

Anyone using the aftermarket link plates that are said to make the rear suspension feel a bit more lively?

My Cota 315R has seen a fair bit of use, but isn't badly worn. It has fairly recent tires, chain and sprockets. Levers and pegs look to be original. All linkage bearings were recently serviced, air filter, transmission oil etc. I noted it has a B6ES plug - I'll replace with a BR6E** as I've read the resistor is critical on this bike. I plan to change fork and shock oil, fit new levers, pegs and peg brackets and fork guards. Any other guards or maintenance items I'm likely overlooking? Chances are I'll crash it a bunch getting the hang of this stuff:lol3

It has a skid plate with the little tab in the front to help protect the header pipe. I'd love a CF wrap-around style pipe guard but haven't found a source for one yet. The header has several small dings, but nothing alarming. Hopefully I can keep it that way.
  16. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already checked them out, see http://www.lewisportusa.com/parts_montesa.htm for lots of blingy stuff for the 315R as well as the 4RT. Adrian took over from Apex as US parts distributor and he has a wealth of knowledge about the bikes.
  17. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've scoured that site quite a lot, plenty of nice stuff there. Couldn't find the fork guards though and not sure about peg brackets.
  18. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    I bought all my stuff from Lewis. The peg brackets and pegs were VERY $$$. But worth it to me. Lewis has some cool levers and side stand for the 315. I have the Delta plates...don't know if it really helps. I'm big and tall, so, I thought it couldn't hurt.

When I bought mine it looked good, but, was beat up inside. I fixed her up and I'm glad I did so. Those 315's will outlast us.

Good luck with your new bike.
  19. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    V-mar makes some nice stuff. I have the rear brake pedal and the shock linkage on my 315.

I really like the brake pedal, it's much shorter and tucks out of the way so it doesn't get snagged on obstacles (which is why the stocker got replaced). It's also easier for me to reach with my small feet.

I can't really comment on the linkage since I've never ridden the bike without it.
  20. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks Charla :thumbup

I'll probably get that brake lever. Would be no good to bust mine and not have a spare. I can fit the v-mar and keep the stocker as a spare:) Probably will get a shifter too.

I guess I should have a look and make sure my Monty doesn't already have the linkage too. To me the back end feels just a tad low and squisy so I think it probably doesn't, but then I'm a n00b.

(btw we met a few times summer '08 when I was interning in Denver - I was on a 919 and staying with Casey).