The most difficult championship to win is...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SnipTheDog, Jun 13, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Rugby player here. No way hockey is physically as difficult as rugby. Unlimited subs. 17 minute intermissions. You're skating, not running. You're skating in a small arena (compared to a rugby field.) You get banged about, but you get banged about in rugby, soccer, basketball, field hockey etc

Yeah. Sorry. Hockey ain't it.
    Thraan likes this.
  2. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These discussions are a waste of time.

My dad can beat up your dad!
  3. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about hockey is amount one line plays at a time. Maybe the top line plays for five minutes and then sits for ten while the other lines are in. Sure hockey is physical, but when done, you're playing 20 minutes of the 60 minute game. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    neanderthal likes this.
  4. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rugby is one bad ass sport and very physically demanding BUT when they play 82 games and then another possible 26 in the playoffs, you can talk smack. Ps. My BIL played for New Zealand in the 7's, he's a bad ass too

typical shift is @45 seconds then wait a few and do it again. A ton of ice time is 20 minutes a game.
  5. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You aren't arguing which is the most difficult to win. You're arguing which is most physically challenging or (potentially) damaging, or which requires some undefined degree of toughness, whether it's the beating you take in hockey or rugby, or the brutal climbs over a 21-day Tour de France (or Giro d'Italia).

That's not the question posed by the OP. Which is the most difficult to win? I'd argue team sports are out, right off the bat, in favor of 1-on-1 matches of some sort. No teammates to cover for one player's weaknesses. No subs to cover for someone who's not "feeling it" today. Just you and an opponent. I'll argue the US Amateur is more difficult than the US Open, as any one of 50 players can have a spectacular day and win the US Open. The US Amateur is a knock-out bracket...just two players in each match. Same with tennis tournaments, though they're actually playing against each other, which isn't quite true in stroke-play golf.

You also have to look at who is the reigning champion. Can they be beaten? Can they repeat, meaning nobody else can win? How dominant? How likely/unlikely an upset?
  6. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Winning an argument on the Internet.
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your "guys play with broken bones" argument is silly. In many other sports you wouldn't be competitive if you were suffering from a serious injury, but in ice hockey you are saying that even handicapped with serious injuries you can still play well enough to compete. By that logic other sports are more difficult as the demand a higher standard of physical ability in order to succeed.

That said, I haven't lived in Canada for 25 years without picking up a bit about hockey. And yeah the Stanley Cup is hard to win.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Or your wife.:lol2
  9. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    So, ... 100 games of a total of twenty minutes of actual action? In 45 second shifts? Sign me up.

Elite, professional rugby players in New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, England, etc will play 10- 15 test games a year (country vs country) 12- 18 games at representative level (add another 5 games i they're going all the way to the final of a championship.) , 10- 15 games at club level. There's 3, maybe 4 friendly games. Games are 80 minutes, you play for 80 minutes unless you're subbed out. If you're subbed out you stay out; none of this catch a breather and go back in nonsense. The only exceptions are for excessive blood or head injury assessment; both are 10 minutes. If you're not back in ten minutes or you don't pass the ding dong test (HIA) you don't continue.

Because of the physicality of the sport players are dissuaded from playing every minute of every game, and are required to be rested for parts of their representative season (hence 12- 18 games) and club season. They may play 60 minutes of 80% of the games, be rested for two and play the full 80 minutes in the rest of the games, or some combination. It's no walk in the park and it's not 45 seconds of action followed by rest, then another 45 seconds.

We call that interval training in rugby, and we do that for about an hour (high intensity interval training) and we also do about an hours worth of endurance training, about an hour of weight training, an hour of film/ strategy, an hour of skills training, about an hour of stretching, and about a 45 minute team run. That's just on a random weekday. There's four of those a week, plus match/ gameday.

Again, hockey ain't it chief, no matter how much you may want it to be. They're hella athletes and they're hella tough, but it's not that tough in comparison.
  10. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love winning an argument on the internet, it makes me feel like a winner :imaposer
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  11. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Triple Crown of Horse Racing.

Neither hockey nor rugby players could keep up.

And the horses don't see any money! (being put out to stud must be a nice perk though)
    devo2002 likes this.
  12. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's certainly tough to win, plus there's a new group competing every year. It's a one and done type of race.
  13. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    And yet, half of the trainers are there every year. The best trainers get the best of the young Kentucky 1yo and 2yo horses.
  14. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's the most difficult, but it is certainly more difficult than winning a Super Bowl. A 7-9 team can make the playoffs and win a Super Bowl. No college team at less than .500 could get to the "make believe" playoffs. Typically, a one loss college team stands no chance of making the playoff unless they're in a power five and win their conference championship (exception Notre Dame ass-hat, chicken shit, coat tail mother f*@#%ers). The system favors particular teams that have significant advantages in wealth and conference affiliation.

Repeat after me... Ohio State-penn, Okla-homo, Clem's Son, Ass-la-bama

It's rigged and until it becomes at least an 8-team play-off it will be the same rinse and repeat shit year in and year out.
    BillsR100 likes this.
  15. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, but does anyone win the Tour without doping?

The only reason Armstrong was singled out was he is an American. Even his tem mates admitted that doping is rampant and the only way to actually win the Tour.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rugby and hockey are damn close but I have to side with hockey (no, my 40 years of playing the sport don't make me biased:D). Sure, 20 minutes of play compared to 60 doesn't seem like much, but you are typically at full out sprint speed for the entire 60 second shift. That equates to running at a full sprint every 3 minutes. Go out side and try that right now...as a matter of fact that is a drill we use in coaching. Then do it for 20 minutes. Run as hard and fast as you can for 60 seconds, stop for 120 seconds, then run full speed again. Let me know how you feel after that 20 minutes.

Now add in the factor that players typically skate at 20-25 mph, and that is the speed of the guy that is going to be crushing into you during that 60 seconds you're out there...possibly multiple times. So as you do the little drill I described above, finish by running straight into a wall at full speed, then take your 120 second break before you do it again.
  17. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Saw a story I thought was very ... rugby.

Like I said earlier, we do that in training. It's basically interval training.
  18. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    It’s not the Stanley cup. Not because it isn’t extremely difficult to win it all, it certainly is with the hard cap they implemented in the 2000s and winning any title in professional sports is extremely difficult and takes a lot to go right. and not because it isn’t a physically demanding sport, that’s true as well, but rather the talent pool is necessarily limited by access to ice and equipment. There’s just not enough people competing as compared to a sport like soccer.

It’s not premier or champions because teams can stockpile talent and spend as much as they want. Similarly baseball basketball, all are subject to who can afford to pay the most in taxes. NFL haas a hard cap but it’s not an international sport, not a world title.

I’d say it’s either the World Cup or an MMA title.

World Cup because teams are less subject to stockpiling, the talent pool is massive, most likely the largest of any sport by a wide margin, and you only get a chance once every four years. Lots has to go right.

UFC-MMA because it is one of the most physically demanding sports, is international, isn’t limited by equipment or income, it’s one on one, and you have to work thru a massive field of fighters while staying healthy. They also fight way more often than boxers. I’m not a fan but it’s a monumental task winning that title.
  19. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  20. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are not consistent - wrestling and boxing fail on your first rule.