The most difficult championship to win is...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SnipTheDog, Jun 13, 2019.

1. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    So... 7 400s, if you're fast, 300s if you're slow. That's a tough, but not unusual workout for any sport that needs any speed-endurance work. Weekend warrior 5k runners do those type of workouts.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

But they aren't getting drilled by another 200+# man going 30mph while they're doing it:D
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were comparing to rugby, and using the above as a baseline. I cant imagine there top guys aren't doing much more than those workouts, and they are getting clocked, and having to stay out there much longer. (And let's be honest here - not every shift is exactly a full sprint )
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

True...that's why I played defense:D
  5. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Can't believe Wrestlemania hasn't been mentioned.
  6. Jetmech

Jetmech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone who claims running is harder than skating has never skated in anything other than couples skate at public skating. You use many more muscles skating than running.
  7. sparks27

sparks27 n00b

Oddometer:
    UEFA Champions League as @Thraan said, it's really hard to win the championship or even predict the champion, to win you must play against best teams in Europe (also the best teams in the world)
  8. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    And someone saying that probably hasn't ever run at more than a leisurely jog... You can almost always push harder, in either sport, but from a pure cardio exertion standpoint, I'd bet you can push your heart rate higher (re work harder) running than skating (I'd guess this because that's the case in cycling, and skating and cycling fitness seems to translate very well).
  9. ricplayer

ricplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your opinion only.

I played competitive hockey most of my life until I aged out and ran competitively (10km).

I have never puked from exerting myself running, but have filled many garbage cans at the end of the bench in hockey rinks after a shift, and it’s not because of an end to end sprint. The battling in the corners is exhausting, I would compare it to scrum that last 45-60 seconds. It’s reverse tug of war. There is a good reason why the average age of an nhl player is dropping.

Hockey is a tough sport, the boards don’t give when you are hit into them, and that puck is frozen and getting hit from that hurts (defenseman here), throw in the sticks and elbows you take during a shift. In my later years, I rarely played without some type of injury. Never played rugby, seems like a tough sport to.

Regarding the OP, my vote would go to cycling. Doping or not, those guys bust their asses to win.
    rd400racer likes this.
  10. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run faster? :)
  11. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meh.
    I did that playing goalie in football.
    Knee popped out as I jumped to collect the ball and got hit by a centre forward.
    Went back in as I hit the ground.
    As I was lying on the ground, writhing a bit and holding my knee and trying not to puke,one of our fullbacks said "..that noise...was that your knee...?" and looked a bit pale himself.
  12. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Olympic Decathlon
  13. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So hard, winning it can be a gender changing experience.
    garfey, Wa Ho Thuk, Ridge and 4 others like this.
  14. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    1) the rugby guy is full of himself.
    2) hardest physical? I will bet you a hun right now that neither a rugby or NHL player could make it through a Div 1 college swim practice.
    3) hardest to win. Go with the chess guy. Take a 1000 random people, make it 10,000. Of those one might win a championship in their discipline. Ain’t none of them gonna win the chess championship. Maybe if you picked a half million, but I doubt that too.
    4) just confirmed. Every athlete who does intervals in practice could waste an NHL player.
  15. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    By that thinking (chess, if it is a sport) the Numbers in soccer are way bigger.. Billions of people play soccer at a competitive level world wide all year round. But only 28 get to play in a Champions league final.
    To get on that pitch, Not only do you have to be better then Billions of players, but you have to be better then Half the players on your team's roster
    We can argue all day long about which sport is more physically demanding but the truth is, They all are. Any athlete at a top level in his sport is going to give 100% every time . Making them all equally demanding
  16. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    How hard can that be? A woman won it in '74
    2whlrcr likes this.
  17. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, considering
    - the OP did not mention ‘Sport’ in his Post,
    - every athlete does not give 100% every time; they’re good but human.
    - championships for team sports, due to their nature of multiple people involved, have a reasonable element of chance (to win or to lose),
    - you don’t have to be on the pitch/field/rink to get the championship. Bench players all have rings too
    I am moving on from your ‘ thought’ process on this one.
  18. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're correct that I didn't mention sports. However, we are in the Sports sub, so I assumed that it would be in sports. Lots of activities are lumped under sports, including ice dancing, platform diving, rugby, hockey, and chess. I'm not here to argue which one of these should be included in the 'Sports' category, but which of the broad number of sports have the greatest competition and have the greatest variety of champions.
  19. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected in that point.

Interesting way of looking at it. Variety of champions is pretty quantitative so that could be sorted. Therefore your answer comes down to how you want to define greatest competition. Define that, lay it over variety of champions, and the debate should be over.

Edit: If greatest competition comes down to how many entries, then international sports like soccer will rule. Forget about the number of teams in the World Cup, but one has to consider all the countries who competed to get selected or not. That will bury any organized sport like hockey football and baseball and yes even rugby. Heck college sports would kill them too. Possibly looking at organized professional team sports might get to some reasonable common ground. Or make several categories. Just got me wondering how many people compete to qualify for the Olympic 100 meter sprint or the 100 fly or any individual sport for that mater. Regardless the 28 or what ever nfl teams do not stand a chance.
  20. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    :brow

Oh the pain
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.