The most difficult championship to win is...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SnipTheDog, Jun 13, 2019.

1. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    I would agree that to win a championship as an individual champions league is the hardest, along with ufc/mma. Indeed You have to be better than all but a handful of people in the most played sport in the world, to get on the handful of teams that have a chance to win it. The level of talent on Barca, Bayern, Ajax, etc is just incredible.

However, on the team level I don’t think so. There are, like I said, only a handful of teams with a shot, and those are the ones with the deepest pockets, and they have no salary cap to stop them from loading up on the best of the best. Just look at the list of winners, it’s pretty limited. I still think that World Cup is the hardest team sport to win. Worldwide, only occurs every four years, etc.
  2. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Swimming is exhausting, and probably the best long term exercise you can do fir fitness, longevity, and joint health.
    neanderthal likes this.
  3. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea that horse racing's triple crown is the hardest sports championship to win. The triple crown has been won 13 times in it's 144 year history. And if you win the triple crown, the rest of your horse life will be consumed with mating as often as possible for hundreds of thousands each time. Those side perks aren't found in any other championships.
  4. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    ^^^^. Well, wilt chamberlain is said to have slept with 20,000 women. And a pro basketball player is a oneinamillion guy
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Lols.
    How many D1 college swimmers could make it through a rugby practise? Much less a full 80 minutes of game time? Just because they are using the muscles differently doesn't mean it's that much harder.
    I'm recovering from an accident right now. Not allowed to run or play rugby, but I am allowed to swim. Did 85 laps in the pool yesterday. (2125 meters) I only started swimming again about a month ago. Prior to that was probably 2005. Prior to that was probably high school, where ...

I played waterpolo in high school. That's a tough sport.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Not many I would guess. Most D1 swimmers can't run worth a damn. It isn't nnecessary in order to be good at swimming.

The most difficult championship to win is not the same thing as the most physically demanding to win. Anyone who has done several sports at a reasonably high level has probably learned not to overestimate the difficulty of their own sport compared to others, nor underestimate other sports compared to their own.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Tell the hockey guy who started this line of conversation.

Back in the stone ages I went to boarding school and playing sport was mandatory. We also had inter- house competitions at the end of every term. Being reasonably coordinated I ended up playing every single sport. (Cricket, basketball, waterpolo, track, rugby, hockey, squash, tennis, volleyball, swimming, soccer, and the one I hated most, cross country either at school level or in inter- house sports.) It was a boys only school with the resulting machismo and ego shit.
    The first thing that taught me to appreciate all sports was a challenge by two new PE teachers we had, to improve our fitness they wanted us to do aerobics. I must have been 14 or 15. In that environment that was a complete non starter. So they made a deal with us, if we could do it for 20 minutes we wouldn't have to do it again, ever. So all these big buff waterpolo players, hockey players (field hockey) and rugby players and other school athletes met at the gym one afternoon, and we embarrassed ourselves by being completely winded within 15 minutes. Those two PE teachers turned our little school into a powerhouse of athletics. Who made it? A couple of cross country guys and soccer guys.

I disparage baseball and golf because I hate them, but I acknowledge that every sport (actual sport, not horseshoes or darts or some bullshit) requires a high level of skill, coordination, concentration, effort, usually fitness, and often acute intellectual brainpower in the endevour. I used to overwhelm squash opponents until my friend Ralph thrashed me just by using angles. And making me run a marathon in the process. That was a revelation. Once I applied that volleyball and tennis it completely changed my ability to compete.
    A dude who lived in the same hostel wasn't an imposing table tennis player. But, he could return whatever you threw at him. My wicked serve, literally my only weapon, was completely neutralised by him and the mental edge that he had with his game plan; he'd just force you into making mistakes due to impatience.

All these things helped me become a better rugby player and athlete. Was never the biggest, best, fastest etc on the field, but my multisport background helped me approach the game with patience, learn how to apply pressure or dissipate it, how to manipulate defenders into creating an overlap, identify space etc, until I ended up being one of those players who ended up in the right place at the right time a lot. That's helped in my coaching too.

I watch a lot of sports, that aren't baseball or golf. I appreciate the difficulty. And the hardest thing i've ever done was cycle a century. Never again. That requires an absolute bloody mindedness in your mental will that i'm too cowardly to apply. I pride myself on knowing my limits, but that requires exploring beyond the outer limits of your outer limits. Once was enough, I'll stick to 2 hour sports like the wuss I am.
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It requires sewing your jaw shut after getting a puck to the face, and even then you might not win.
    rd400racer likes this.
  9. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Dont you chaps wear vast amounts of padding helmet gloves and slide everywhere..?
  10. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently the hardest prize in sport is the Bledisloe Cup.
    Australia has been trying to get their hands on it since 2002.
  11. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:

Has that ever actually happened ?
  12. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Has anyone won an argument on the internet, or did anyone think they won one?
    They answer is zero for the former, and a bazillion times for the latter...
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  13. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those of you who think playing baseball at the major league level is easy haven't ever tried to hit a 99 MPH fastball , or harder still , a curve ball that starts out coming straight at you head and ends up crossing the plate at your knees in an impossible curving arc . Hell , most athletes can't even make contact with a curve ball , ask Michael Jordan .

In light of this , winning a World Series in baseball is the most difficult .
  14. Oscar

Oddometer:

I have faced a 135km/h bouncer in cricket - that was carefully and deliberately aimed at my head.
    In Test Cricket, these deliveries have been clocked up to 161.3km/h (100.2 mph).
    And depending on your skill level, it's not like you face them until three strikes or four balls - it can be hours at a time...
    [​IMG]
  15. ritz3

ritz3 n00b

Oddometer:
  16. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    Skiing World Cup should be ranked way up there.
    These guys / gals are in supreme shape and it takes a lot of skill and commitment. Most of them train all year long for a season that starts at the beginning of Nov and goes until March.
    And it's a true WORLD Cup.....
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  17. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt that hitting a baseball is difficult, but winning baseball's Triple Crown is up there with horse racing's triple crown. The last to win it was Miguel Cabrera in 2012. The previous winner was Yaz in 1967. https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/triple_crowns.shtml
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  18. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    However, last season ManCity lost to Spurs in the CL. The money sitting on the bench for City was more than the starting eleven for Spurs. At least that was the claim by the pundits.

And Spurs easily outspent Ajax, but I can’t think of a reason not to like Ajax.

Two players for Barca cost more than some clubs at the Championship level in England (slight exaggeration? Think how much Messi would cost).

Chelski bought a few trophies. And I suppose all teams regardless of sporting endeavor do. Except the Dallas Cowboys, they spend like drunken sailors to provide practice squads for the rest of the league....
  19. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Never understood this game.

Looks interesting, sounds interesting, but the length the matches can be is insane.

And the scoring just sounds nuts.
  20. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Five-day test matches that swing one way and then the other. Mini-battles between bowlers and batsmen, field-placings always critical. Can't be beaten for sporting strategy.