The most extreme off-road ride you can do in the western USA in 6 weeks...maybe???

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, May 23, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Extreme –

/ik-streem/

Adjective

Exceeding what is usual or reasonable; showing immoderate, excessive, severe, dangerous or life threatening behavior

Who knows…you can come up with your own version, but this is my crazy plan for a solo summer of stupid!!!

This is my riding criteria/ guidelines

#1 - Stay below the 52nd parallel north and not cross into Mexico in the south
    #2 - Ride hard and take LOADS of photos
    #3 - If you get lost; make sure you’re not breaking rule #1; that happens in 2016
    #4 - Add a little bit of Canada in there too, so you can replace lost photos

So it began…I have the summer open, I wanted to stay here in the US (my RTW continues in Jan 2016) and cover some of the areas I haven’t seen yet using the Backcountry Discovery Routes and the TAT, to ride the whole thing coast to coast, then I read a CDR ride report, so now I wanted to do that too…

I began to look at all the route lines on a map and tried to connect them…that’s how this has evolved; if you’re not familiar with all of them, the routing is primarily on dirt roads, fire roads, logging trails, back roads double and single track.

I have roughly calculated it out to something in the region of 14,000 +/- miles.

My route (opinion) is this:

From Vegas (home) east bound cross country initially riding the northern section of Dave6253’s GCBDR (Grand Canyon backcountry discovery route)…then onto the TAT for about a day or so (west to east) I’ll detour off in Colorado to a buddies place for food/ bed/ service and an oil change

Then drop down to the OKBDR west to east. (Yes it does exist)

Then it becomes a little sketchy to get to New York City but I have pieced routes together using dirt tracks I found on a few ride reports, some GPX websites, maps, and Google earth. When I used Google earth/ maps and all I could find were roads I would grab the little guy that drops you onto a street view. At this point all the roads a car can go on are blue; if the road isn’t highlighted I used that road, hoping it would be dirt or well off the beaten path.

Once in NYC at the Statue of Liberty I will start the TAT from Freedom Way/ Flag Plaza here 40.692849, -74.056572

…Initially I’ll ride a mix of the TET and TAT then onto the TAT proper from Tennessee, I’ll be using a mix of Kevin and Sam’s routes dependent on weather, road closures etc.…all the way to Oregon and the Pacific Ocean

Once I have dipped my dirty motocross boots in the Pacific Ocean, I found a nice dirt detour south back into CA and loops to OR, which leads nicely to the start of the ORBDR #3, (http://www.oohva.org/OBCDR/route3.html)

When it ends I have some trails from www.gpsxchange.com and a little WABDR to get me to a friends house in western Washington for a little service work and new tires waiting for me that I think I’ll need to do by then.

Then is back at it with some more WABDR and other tracks until I get to the Canadian border, dirt thru BC and AB, furthest point north will be Banff.

Take in the scenery then head south on the CDR all the way to the Mexican border. The routing for this section I have to thank in advance inmates Canonshot, Countdown and BigDogAdventures; for doing the hard work and making some great tracks to follow.

Once Mexico is in sight, a few miles to the west is the start of the AZBDR and once that’s complete next obvious direction is the UTBDR, then head west to northern part of the COBDR, ride it north to south and ride back to Vegas via Kevin’s TAT to L.A. via Four Corners

You got all of that??? Maybe this is easier to comprehend…

The concise version of the above is GCBDR, TAT, OKBDR, mixed tracks, TET, TAT, ORBDR, WABDR, CDR, AZBDR, UTBDR, COBDR and TAT

Or

The order of states I’ll be riding through: NV-UT-CO-OK-KS-MO-IL-IN-OH-PA-NJ-NY-NJ-PA-MD-WV-VA-TN-AR-OK-NM-CO-UT-NV-OR-CA-OR-WA-BC-AB-MT-WY-CO-NM-AZ-UT-CO-UT-NV

Or if you’re a visual type of person, this is the rough idea…

[​IMG]

So if you’re anywhere near that line and have somewhere I can pitch my tent…please let me know

…and to make it interesting I’ll be riding a 15 year old bike!!!

:hide
    Roadrunner and rastawheel like this.
  2. JJMTCHNV

JJMTCHNV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could offer you a spot in Cold Creek. Probably not enough milage for you're first day though huh?:D
  3. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. Subscribed. If for some godforsakenreason you end up in Rhode Island, I've got a bed, beer, pizza, washing machine waiting for you with a view of the Narragansett Bay.

Cheers
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!
  6. NKOrange

NKOrange Puny homer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, been waiting for this one!

Got a spare room in Denver, if you want to stop by.

Are you taking the KTM? (Is it back and fixed?)
  7. flyinturbo

flyinturbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride. I have some shop space for you in Phoenix if your path comes through here...
  8. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant wait.....:freaky
  9. Crab bait

Crab bait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your plans involve getting off hwy97 and I5 to get over to the coast, we'll put you up in Tillamook
  10. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back on the road again.:clap

Can't wait for some pictures of what you see along the way.

Safe travels,

Scott
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :freaky

If you want some tracks for BC and Alberta let me know Paul

:freaky
  13. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    whut kinda 15 yr. old bike?..... :deal
  14. bstock1

bstock1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need a warm bed and cold beer or a garage and tools for some maintenance im in Colorado springs. I moved out here from Vegas a couple years ago. Spent 18 years there.
  15. heavyfinn

heavyfinn slightly wounded..

Oddometer:
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    i'll be heading out of Vegas north east towards Mesquite to catch my first dirt, so maybe we can hook up when i'm finished for some riding

that'd be one hella wrong turn, but....beer and pizza :hmmmmm
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    more later on this but for now this should give you an idea...i'll PM you about the room

[​IMG]
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    possibly 2-3 times...PM coming your way

look for a PM, no highways no interstates this ride but lots of OR

I'll be close so thanks look for a PM
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    LMK if you have anything from Nighthawk border crossing (just west of Osoyoos) to Banff via Kelowna
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    patience 'grasshopper' all will be revealed very soon