The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by basketcase, Nov 12, 2011.

1. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone got an answer to the slow d/l of maps and/or the 1000 tile limit. all my d/l seem to be at the 1000 tile limit and say they are approx 1GB. However once they finish (sometimes 10hrs later) they are only in the order of 100 - 400 meg. :huh

thanks
  2. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just d/l no issue and relatively quick,, minutes not hours

Try smaller sections along route - any overlap wont be duplicated -

I've not d/l that many tiles but I know the tracks/waypts are limited the reason I started using a better app..

3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    If you download maps that's zoomed in closer than 14 you will get into some huge data files. I always use zoom levels 9 thru 14.
  4. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be ok on a short route but the one I'm currently planning is 1400kms one way.

yea, my range had been 7 - 15. I'll try a couple at 9-14
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    There is a huge size difference between 14 and 15!
  6. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    and again between 15 & 16+
  7. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s slow because motionx hasn’t setup their server properly for fast downloads and you have 75,000km of cabling between you and the server, which makes it worse.

The downoad size is just a guess until it has been downloaded. It’s pretty accurate in the city but outback maps are smaller.
  8. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, so I got to use it today for the first time...... I thought I was going to get directions & voice prompts for turns etc. but I got nothing...

did I do something wrong? I created a route in Mapsource & converted it to a track. I imported that track via iTunes and followed that to my destination. :ear :ear
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Tracks don't give directions, they are just bread crumbs along a line.
  10. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that was the case. and this only seems to import tracks not routes. :cry
    so then my next question is going to be how do you create routes in MotionX so that you do get directions???
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need MotionX GPS Drive
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Routes are not a good idea when your trying to stay on a specific path.

Here is how I look at the difference between creating tracks and routes from a similar thread in June. This relates to creating a track and a route in Mapsource (or any other mapping software) on your PC.

TRACK: YOU tell the GPS exactly what path you want to ride. You use a magic marker (track tool) and draw the track on the GPS’s maps. The track is a series of points connected by straight lines The track NEVER changes, you can give your track to 50 different people with 50 different GPS’s and when they load the track they will see the exact same track you do, no matter what GPS, what maps or what version of software they are running. As a matter of fact they will see the same track even if they don’t have maps in their GPS. Modern GPS's allow you to use up to 10,000 track points in creating a single track.

ROUTE: You give the GPS a series of points (waypoints or via’s) between you and your destination and THE GPS connects the dots using roads and trails it thinks are best. THE GPS tells you what path to ride. You can make the route more closely follow your desired path by inserting more via and way points. If you give your route to 50 different people with 50 different GPS’s you will probably end up with 30 different routes and 20 people that can’t even load your route. Once you start riding the route if you are not careful your GPS will calculate a new one for you.

Can you make a route that looks exactly like a track? Sure, but the longer the path or the farther you travel off major byways the less likely they will be even close. It may look like they are the same but they will be far from the same when you hit the trail. The more pavement you ride the more likely the track and route will be the same, the more off pavement or secondary roads you use the less likely they will be the same. If you ride pavement all the time you may never use (or need) a track. If you ride off pavement all the time you may never use a route.

So in a nutshell, if you are doing a ride and it is critical that you follow a particular path you probably need to use TRACKS. If you need to get from point A to point B and the roads and trails you take are not critical, or if you have to have your GPS give you instructions on when to turn, ROUTES will be your choice.
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    The above is true in general and certainly for most GPS devices and all Navigation Apps. The exceptions being the zumo 590LM and the BMW Nav 5. Those two units can covert Tracks to Routes (Trips) and navigate them as you would any route yet the route path is identical to the Track it was created from -- roads or no roads. The one drawback is that those Routes most not be recalculated since they only have a Start and Destination (End) -- the rest of the route data is Garmin magic (shaping points).
  14. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that doesn't appear in the Oz app store. Looks like it is NA & Canada only.
  15. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, this is just fucken crazy...........

it has spent more tan 24hrs d/l a mapset which was estimated to be 1.2GB. however it turns out to be less than 20MB. WTF!!! Galileo d/l the complere OZ map of 155MB in less than 10mins.

Whats up with MotionX??
    If I didn't have so much time & effort in this I'd delete it and try something else.
  16. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    What area and zoom level are you trying to download? I've got half of queensland downloaded in MotionX and it was slow but not 24 hours.
  17. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's a section of my route south. goes from the GC to Warwick. Zoom set to 7 - 16. It just finally finished after 27hrs. and it's total size is 15.7MB (est was 1.2GB)

I did a similar route section last week but forgot to change the min zoom so it was 15 - 15. It was actually 1 GB and it finished in 10hrs........

the other big gripe is the 100000 tile limit or maybe that's a good thing........
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It's your zoom level, keep it to 14 and you'll change your download time to minuets instead of hours.
  19. 2 Dogs

2 Dogs 2 Dogs Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is 14 enough detail in our neck of the woods? (Southeast that is)

Thanks!
  20. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

yea, tried that. there is not enough detail for the areas I'm traveling in at 14 & it still took 8-10hrs for that same area even then........ :cry at this rate it has taken longer to dl the mapsets of my trip than the actual trip is planned for... :huh