The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by basketcase, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Yes, plenty.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're having some kind of phone issue or maybe your WiFi connection.
  3. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zoom level 12 shows the maximum available amount of detail available (dirt tracks/etc). Anything closer in than that just shows you the same detail but less of it at a time, which is handy at a fork in the trail or something but 14 is plenty close enough.

At zoom level 16 you can only see 1km on the map, that's not useful to me, I never go closer than 14.

That can't be right, zoom level 14 should be almost 16 times faster. If you're downloading 100,000 tiles at zoom level 16 then you will only need about 6,250 tiles for the same area at zoom level 14.

You said it took 27 hours to download to zoom level 16 so zoom level 14 should take an hour or two.
  4. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    27 hours is less than 1 second per tile (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=27+hours+/+100,000).

Because of the way MotionX has setup their download system (where not being physically close to whatever city the server is in will cause horrible performance issues), it is perfectly reasonable for downloads to take 1 second per tile - griffo lives in the same state as me and mine is about the same speed even at work where we have an infrastructure grade internet connection that is guaranteed to run perfectly at all times.

Hopefully MotionX will fix it one day... I've already complained. There should be a single latency hop for the entire connection, instead of hundreds of thousands of latency hops.
  5. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try it gain tomorrow when the current d/l finishes...... :D pretty sure last effort at that zoom level was pretty sparse.

thanks guys

PS I have complained to MotionX. Had a couple of back & forth emails.

PPS nothing wrong with my wifi connection. I d/l entire mapset for Oz (155meg) for Galilieo in a few minutes.
  6. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am just now fiddling with motion X. I downloaded and some tracks. I also downloaded the MotionX Terrain maps. I set the zoom to be between 3 and 16. However, it will only show 9.2 and lower. 9.3 and higher shows "no data" on the map. What am I doing wrong?

Also, am I to assume that laying a track over the above map will do what I need when on a backcountry route with no data? I turned off my cellular data in hopes of mimicking an offline situation and the map showed, but only between a zoom of 3-9.2.

If anyone can give me any tips and let me know if the above is correct, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, and other map links that I should download?
  7. Shunpiker Dan

Shunpiker Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if there is a limit but that is an awfully wide zoom range. Of course, your needs may be different than mine but I usually download at 8 - 15 or somewhere thereabouts. You might try downloading the same area again at 9 - 16. The answer to your second question is yes as long as I'm understanding you correctly. With the maps downloaded locally, you should see the terrain and lay tracks without a network to your cell data network.
  8. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do. It wants me to "Drag To Change Radius." I dont know why it wants me to do that and, if necessary, how I should handle it. Any suggestions?

Also, looks like it is just over 1gig download and is going HORRIBLY slow even over wifi. Is that normal?
  9. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

changing the radius increase/decreases ow much area you download. So long as the area the circle covers where you want to ride, you're ok.

read some of my earlier posts regarding the slow dl speeds. it took me more than 2 weeks to d/l the mapset for a ride earlier this year. each d/l was usually reported to be 1+GB but usually ended up being approx 200meg (in 1 case it was about 20meg) but these were taking in excess of 10hrs each.

which reminds me, better start now for my upcoming rise.... :eek1
  10. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Fugured it out after I asked the question. :-/ I just downloaded pretty much all of WA (center dipped into OR and up into BC), turned off the data and wifi and opened it up. At first it would not display most of the state in my zoom settings. Set the phone aside and turned everything back on for 10 minutes. Looks like it shows the state between 10-12 now. Seems like enough detail at those zoom levels as well. Thanks!
  11. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question - I note that the cursor moves off the map instead of the map scrolling across to keep the cursor centered. Is there a setting to change that?

And thanks for all of the help!
  12. Shunpiker Dan

Shunpiker Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you want to tap the location arrow (bottom middle of the map screen) to change the way your app is oriented and follows
  13. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill try it as soon as the 1.1gig download stops...which should be some time next month at this pace. Decided I wanted more zoom when I took a look at how it was on the drive home this afternoon. Going for a 10-14 zoom of WA state.
  14. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So..... I have a frustrationg problem & an interesting comparison.....

first the problem. I enabled the option to backup my maps in iTunes and now neither of my devices will complete a backup. If I disable the option then the backup goes fine. The error in iTunes is that the device disconnected. This happens on both an iPad mini 2 & and iPhone 6+
    Motion-X support have been next to useless. Their latest advice it to contact Apple support even though I have repeatedly said that the backup works fine if the option is disabled............. :kboomthis wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't take tens of hours to download the maps for me on the iPad. I have lost count of the number of hours but it would almost be in the hundreds now.

secondly.....

I recently bought the iPhone 6+ and as part of the deal I got an additional 25GB of data this month, so......... I tried an experiment. I dl some maps via the 4G instead of my wifi, and lo and behold it is amazingly quick (compared to previous the d/l on the iPad) only approx 2hrs for similar d/l that took 12+hrs on the iPad.

SO I got a SIM for the iPad to try d/l via 4G on that. Nope, even slower than the wifi....... so I tried d/l via wifi on the iPhone 6+..... and it's the same speed as the 4G d/l. so all my slow d/l are attributable to the iPad itself ........

don't get me wrong, it is still very slow compared to other GPS Apps I've tried. eg Galileo d/l the entire continent (190Meg in a matter of seconds) but I'm about done with this App and need to try something else. Thank GOD it wasn't too expensive. :baldy
    Anyone got any recommendations??

cheers

g
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Wi-Fi direct from iPhone to iPad?
  16. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    I am using Galileo for offroad stuff, muche better than Motionx.
  17. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you mean connect the iPad to the iPhone via bluetooth or the hotspot? tried that (hotspot) was even slower........

as an aside I had to reset my iPad this weekend (for other reasons) so of course I lost all my maps :dog however downloading the first couple of sets was much quicker.... no idea why. it now backs up to iTunes but the iPhone still doesn't (iPad currently has 1.2GB of maps, iPhone has approx 2.7GB) so maybe the iPad will stop as well once I get another GB or so of maps on it.

as a further aside, I now have custom maps on it thanks to someone on the KLX forum. give you the ability to d/l Google, USGS etc for offline use.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    no, i meant to push the maps you already have on one device, to the other. that's if you're trying to have redundant maps on both. i may have misunderstood your wants. :)
  19. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

aha!, didn't think of that. not sure how to go about it. will experiment with that.......
  20. rolandtiangco

rolandtiangco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I've just downloaded Motion X and have been playing around for an hour or so. This is my first foray into GPS, so please pardon any ignorance.

I've downloaded .GPX files for the Puppy Dog Route here and I've imported them into MotionX. I've also uploaded them to gpsvisualizer.com. I'm getting different results between the two. Motion X doesn't seem to be plotting the track with the same accuracy as gpsvisualizer.com.

Can anyone educate me on why? Image below for reference. GPSvisualizer on the left, MotionX on the right. You can see how MotionX is drawing a straight line instead of following the road.

Thanks a million,
    Roland

[​IMG]