The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by basketcase, Nov 12, 2011.

1. jeepster33

jeepster33 streaming bits Supporter

Oddometer:

That looks interesting - what app is that ? It doesn't look like motionx gps.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not. My apologies. I didn't mean to derail this thread, just to add to the discussion that other GPS navigation apps aren't friendly to those with old(er) eyes.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    awww , I'm sorry. I had two browser windows open so once. I'll delete the misinformation. :-)
  4. jeepster33

Oddometer:
    No worries guys - it's interesting to see how other apps handle the same problem.

I thought carrying a magnifying glass wouldn't be too handy. :photog
  5. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This app really consumes the data and does run in the background.
    So if you must shut off location services to avoid super data consumption
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    It doesn't use data if you download the maps of the area that your riding in. That's why you don't need a cell signal for it to work.
    EmmEff likes this.
  7. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok got it,
    But what if you accidentally leave location services on?
    Like....for a week
  8. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    If you're hanging around in the same area you downloaded, nothing. Only GPS locating would be active, which probably half the apps you use are doing anyway unless you turn them off.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Location services is enabling the GPS and allowing apps to access the position data. Location services and the GPS itself does not use data. Apps that download use data.
  10. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As of iOS 8.3, the GPS works in airplane mode, I proved it a month ago in Northern California. Just downloads maps at home on WiFi.
  11. jeepster33

Oddometer:
    +1

I did a trip through Wisconsin recently (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) and had no cell service for portions of the trip. I had downloaded the maps at home ahead of time and motionx still showed me my track and maps. Only time the GPS went wacky is when I rode through a tree tunnel.
  12. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    TWAT......... lol
  13. 2 Dogs

2 Dogs 2 Dogs Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always wanted to ride the TWAT #middleschoolhumor :lol3
  14. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    gents,

i had a couple of motion x question and was hoping for advice on where to post if not here. complete GPS noob but working my way through the manuals and trying to test things as i go. currently i am downloading tracks posted to the internet/advrider, placing them in a "GPS tracks" folder on dropbox and importing them into motion x on iphone 6. tomorrow i would like to take a test ride out in west texas with this setup. some questions please? advance apologies for not understanding some terminology or workflow.

1. is there a difference between a file name and a track? also, i guess i can rename /tracks/ in motion x to make them more understandable? also, i seem to have imported a gpx file that had a number of separate tracks in it which i assume is how things work, yes?

2. how do i turn on and off tracks so that i only have the one on that i am planning on following? right now i am looking at five or six tracks which i opened to see what was what but i only want the one track i plan to use tomorrow.

3. is there a way to have waypoints associated with whatever "track" (file?) they came in with? i seem to have some waypoints on for a track that is not on and i would like to have all the waypoints for an individual track associated with it on the map so i don't have one on and not the other. it is sort of useless to look at waypoints if i can't see the track. ALSO, is there a way to /group/ the list of waypoints so they are grouped under the track they belong to? right now they are all listed all together (along with eifell tower, mount everest etcetera) and since i did not NAME these waypoints it is almost impossible for me to know what track/route they belong to.

4. some tracks appear to be very polygonal and don't seem to follow actual roads or trails. they seem to be almost heavy polygon approximations of a track and if i can't see the actual road they are taking it makes it hard to try to follow it. anyone know what i am looking at here or if i have a setting wrong or if the file is just a bad file somehow?

5. if i find a track i want to follow tomorrow do i just turn it on so i see it on the map and then how do i tell motion x to follow the track so i can take the bike out to follow it?

thanks in advance for any help. i didn't seem to find these in the user manual

- jon
  15. ktm360mx

ktm360mx Woof

Oddometer:
    Well the last post was from July, but I have a similar question- how do I get MotionX to follow the track so I can follow it?
  16. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open motion x, go to menu, RH Bottom of screen, open tracks and select your track.
    With the track up, go to the RH top of your screen (three lines menu bar) and hit it.
    Go about half way down and tap 'follow'

17. ktm360mx

ktm360mx Woof

Oddometer:
    Thank you Juno!

Not being on the road or near my track, this will give me turn by turn directions?
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    No, tracks are like a bread crumb trail.
  19. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember to click on the little location arrow to toggle to the screen that keeps it in the center of the screen. If you don't, you will drive off the screen.

The ability to import a gpx file AND get turn-by-turn directions to follow is a "holy grail" and I don't think any system can do this today.
    juno likes this.
  20. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scenic claims they can do turn-by-turn, but I haven't tried it. It also costs more.