The Moto Guzzi I always wanted but never knew I did

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Dracula, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a more modern attachment that would be a solution to a host of issues we experience on the road...

gbtw likes this.
  2. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    That would make my commute a lot more interesting.
    aftCG and Hoak like this.
  3. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would probably make my commute a lot safer... Last week there was a woman in a big black SUV wearing a Niquab or Burka; one of these things:

[​IMG]

And all I could see was hair poking out of the eye slits as she wrestled with a cell phone, and slammed into yet another SUV (almost hitting me), driven by yet another woman wearing a similar costume. Yes, in Minnesota... I suppose it's insensitive of me to consider this garb unsafe for driving, or assuming they were women...
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deer whistles are bunk, the only safe way to avoid deer are to stay off the roads. Since that isn't going to happen, imo we just need to do what drac does now and SLOW down during the at risk times, dawn and dusk. We try real hard to never be riding after dusk around here. Just not worth it, and I typically didn't worry when driving in my truck but have started to slow down after dark, especially where we have the deer signs.

They put them there for a reason, although on a few of our better, read secondary highways, the sign will say "Deer next 70km". Gee thanks for that.

I don't like to be complacent and am not but our mule deer tend to graze like cattle at the side of the road, and don't seem to spook easily, White tail on the other hand are freaking spastic, unpredictable morons. And unfortunately I'm seeing more of them lately so am always on high alert.

Heard someone describe a white tail as "a frayed nerve, with ADD, on crack", pretty much sums them up.

Careful out there boys and girls,
  5. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    All righty, no deer whistles for me then, but maybe a few billion candlepower floods. I'm more concerned about, and wary of my fellow humans then Bambi anyway; there's been way too much 'Demolition Derby' drama on my commutes to work -- the last two weeks alone would make pretty good non-stop action camera video that have been like something out of a bad dream.

I've also had more close brushes with the inattentive then I'd care to have in a given window of time; these weren't adrenaline juicing, aim for the hole situations; I was way ahead of everything that happened, but it's raised my stress level quite a bit and has taken some of the fun out of my commute -- we have some really horrible drivers in Minnesota...
  6. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Poor woman
    WitchCityBallabio and Hoak like this.
  7. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know... Created a lot of stress in my day, but hers looked like it was going from horrible to worse...
  8. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a 77 850 T3 section? My uncle want me to get it running again after setting 20 yrs.She turns over fine,he put oil in cylinders every so often.
  9. Xlratr

Xlratr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll probably be better off on the Wildguzzi forum for T3 related stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  10. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the bikes from that time, big blocks especially, were essentially mechanically the same. Stroke was the same at 78mm , bore was either 83 or 87. Valve sizes, carburettors and bodywork were the only other *Important* differences.

As John says probably best to ask on Wildguzzi. Lots of very good people there but a lot of them seem to have frozen up in about 1985. That won't be an issue if you want to talk about a T3. Charlie Mullendore who posts under his business name of Anteitam Classic Cycles is probably one of the best resources. Also become familiar with Greg Bender's 'This old tractor' site and you should be golden.

Pete
    Dracula, Xlratr, Hoak and 1 other person like this.
  11. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be able to carry enough ammo to get down the street :), also the 19ct per km my boss pays me for my commute won't cover it either.
  12. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bad for steering this great thread off the original and great topic: The Discovery You Didn't Anticipate. Vic is a great inspiration here, nails it, and inspired many, me among them, that would never have considered a Moto Guzzi as a capable ADV machine to take a closer look -- an amazing number of us ended up buying the bike!

And it is a surprising discovery: that the Stelvio surpasses the competition in many important regards -- without even competing, making it a true sleeper that has unfortunately been marginalized by it's parent company as far as marketing, the media and the press...

It's a shame and a loss that it won't be made anymore, but even worse there's nothing coming from any other manufacture with the same approach to design and engineering remotely like it that offers the real benefits this bike brings to ADV... The good news is I expect my Stelvio will last as long as I do, or as long as we're still allowed to ride them.
  13. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Bump ^
    Dracula likes this.
  14. Cuzen

Cuzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a rumor going around that Lucifer might get resurrected in the near future:-)
    Dracula likes this.
  15. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think she collected enough cobwebs. I'd be surprised if that lithium battery had any juice left in it. The wheels have been swapped several times over - convenient to have fresh and ready tires. Hard to even remember which screws I loosened on it so I guess it will be a great winter project to start it all from scratch. It will be the Italian Clutch Job.
  16. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If, when you get it apart, you find that the disintegrating clutch has damaged the front case of the gearbox enough to warrant replacement let me know Vic. When all the parts arrive I'll loan you the gearbox splitting tools which make swapping the case a breeze. I did this with another bloke I trust in Mass. Worked out well. His tale is up on WG somewhere.

FWIW I think most of Lucifer's problems can be traced back to a shaved ape buggering about with the throttle stop screw or TB linkage rod. Slap a good set on and I reckon she'll be golden.
    bobw and Dracula like this.
  17. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Pete, although most my time I spend here on ADV, I know exactly the story, printed it and saved it for when my turn comes. Knowing you will be 'shadowing' this project is worth to me all the confidence I need to get this started. It's coming.
  18. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, are ya gonna document the transformation of Lucifer to Luke here on ADV so we can see how this all comes apart and goes back together for you?! Please? :-)
    Dracula likes this.
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Yes, I intend for it to be as entertaining as it will be instructive. Any and all valuable opinions and advice contributions appreciated.
    Xlratr and Hoak like this.
  20. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm ready for enlightenment and entertainment.
    Hoak likes this.