The Moto Guzzi I always wanted but never knew I did

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Dracula, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's going to be a while, as I have some travel to do and see my parents. So I'll have time to think how to start this. Right now, that bike is propped on a small rolling dolly, tucked away in a corner of my small garage. I have loosened and removed the rear shock to swap the Wilbers onto the new bike. To hold it together I bolted it's old Sachs shock back on but just loosely holding it together. The brake calipers are in same state, as I have swapped wheels several times. I think I need to determine whether it's worth getting it on the table lift or just set the work area on the floor. Or if I could get it on the lift with the front forks and both wheels removed. Not sure yet... like I said, I will take suggestions.
  2. Cuzen

Cuzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say part it out, make the motor into a coffee table to put your feet up on and wait for the arrival of the V85:jkam:beer:ricky
    Dracula likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a scientifically proven phenomena known as " bgrit "- motor vehicle reliability is directly proportionate to parts availability, with correction for proximitry.

Apparently, the really smart number crunching guys have documented a process called the herd response - keep two of the same bike but only use one, all members of the herd benefit. But introduce a deviant species into the herd and chaos maths steps in. Sometimes putting a donkey into a herd of horses gets you mules, but often you just get dog food.
    flybynite, River Rat, sinned and 2 others like this.
  4. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Can you even imagine how it feels to have been able to ride a Stelvio, for exactly a year now, and nearly 27,000 miles as of today, all problem free?? There are many days I am really pinching myself to ensure it's not just a dream..

[​IMG]
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have the time to ride 27,000 miles. Congrats on your Guzzi sequel.
    Dracula likes this.
  6. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I never realized a Guzzi was going to win me over so much.. as for the mileage? Any free time I get, I ride! Being in a great area to ride in - Central NC - and not having other hobbies such as golf :D helps me allot to add such mileage.
    davyjones likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Drac,

Just read through your trials and tribulations when you serviced your CARC in post #16959 of the MG Stelvio (merged) threadfest. Sorry you had to be "the poster child for why everyone should check their swingarm bearings" as pyounbl stated. Lubing the swingarm and bearings just jumped to the top of my "to do" list....
    Dracula, bobw and davyjones like this.
  8. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I am glad this actually helped/helps perhaps more folks realize some of the "Achille's heel" of this motorcycle are quite easy to address, or even better, prevent. As you will see later, my new Stelvio was greased, by me, since brand new since it had very little grease from factory!
    black 8 likes this.
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I just placed an order for the CNC CARC tool and hope to get it next week, I’ll be using your CARC service as a guide along with the one posted on Guzzi Tech... thanks for sharing.....
    bobw and Dracula like this.
  10. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eyes
    Dracula likes this.
  11. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes I can! WP_20160511_031.jpg
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The above pick was when it was new, this is after the last BDR.
    IMG_0527.JPG
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome shot with a good "feel". I can't believe you were actually using a Garmin 26XX series! Those things weigh a ton, but worked well.
  14. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good catch on the Garmin! It was a 2610, I couldn't upload BDR tracks and instead had to do them out of "base camp", which explains why I never saw any of the "easy" bypass's for a BDR. LOL! It lived on my KLR, then the 990 for 50,000 miles.
    A couple days after that shot I was caught in the rain and the screen delaminated. Been using the Montana ever since.
    As for "feel" for the photo, Nah, just luck and a phone! Thanks though!
    bobw and Dracula like this.