1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Motorcycle Cannonball is coming to the PNWet Sept. 21-23, 2018

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Ladybug, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    2017-cannonball-run-dates-set-2018-1.jpg

The Motorcycle Cannonball is something else. Riders riding 90+ year old bikes across the United States keeping the engines running and the bikes rolling. Their chase trucks, if they have one, aren’t allowed on the same route and are only able to assist at the stop over point each night.

You can read all about the Motorcycle Cannonball here: http://motorcyclecannonball.com/ I always enjoy reading about the riders and their bike. Check the Riders tab and choose your favorites to cheer on.

Friday 9-21-18 Spokane, WA. Stop Over.
    Lone Wolf Harley-Davidson is going all out

The riders will be there from 4:20 pm to 6:00 pm.
    After that the riders are free to head to their Hotel to do any needed work on their bikes but the fun will continue on.
    2018 Spokane.jpg

Saturday 9-22-18 Kennewick, WA – 12:30 – 1:00 PM
    Rattlesnake Harley-Davidson will be hosting lunch for the riders.

The bikes will be on display as the riders have lunch.

The Dalles, OR For the night. 5:00 – 6:30
    On Federal St. between 2nd and 3rd.

Hosted by The Dalles Chamber of Commerce.

Sunday 9/23/18 Grand Finish 1:30 PM
    Skamania Lodge, Stevenson, WA.

The riders and bikes will be there until 4:00 PM.
    I hope there is a good showing of PNWet ADVers to cheer on these riders as they cross the finish line. In 2014 they ended in Tacoma and they were treated to a show by the Cossack's Drill team. In 2016 it ended in Carlsbad, CA and it was blah. Let's once again show the Cannonball riders and organizers that we appreciate them coming to our part of the country.

26112210_1717735844915531_8935881677767688539_n.jpg
    The route and descriptions of the stop overs are here:
    http://motorcyclecannonball.com/route/

The organizers ask, for safety sake, that other riders not try to join the route. With that they do not publish the exact route, in fact the riders just get the route the night before each stage. I will be at the Fri., and Sat. stopovers and of course at the Grand Finish Sunday.

If there anyone would like to join me I will be camping Sat. night at Beacon Rock State Park.

Sunday how about a lunch meet up before we head to watch the bikes roll through the finish line?

Sunday 9-23-18 at 11:30 AM
    Big T’s Diner
    73 NW First Street,
    Stevenson, WA
    http://www.eatatbigts.com/location-and-hours

ADVs very own RTWDoug will be riding the Cannonball again this year sporting his 88 number. If you are not familiar with him look up his ride reports and see if you can figure out what make this guy tick. You can also check out his rides reports here: http://www.motosapiens.org/forum/ I first met him when he returned to the United States after riding around the world on a chopper, yes a chopper. I was following his ride report and was thrilled to get to meet him. I have had the pleasure of our path crossing a few more times over the years.

Doug_promo_pic.jpg
    Ride Now, LC Garage, Motorius and 3 others like this.
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Please post if you will be camping at Beacon Rock and/or if you will be showing up for lunch in Stevenson prior to the Grand Finish.

Lunch Meet up:
    Ladybug
    Mortimersickle
    Baroquenride
    Bsky
    Mista Vern
    OldMonkeybut & friend
    LC Garage
    Lil'Red
    TwinDuo
    LoudAl

Camping at Beacon Rock:
    Road Rash and DiggerD like this.
  3. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, I would really like to see that
    tymetrvlr and Ladybug like this.
  4. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this, I guess I didn't read into the schedule that well as I thought their last stop was Portland (it was advertised as Portland Maine to Portland Oregon). But that's OK, I was planning on seeing them in the Dallas anyway, and Skamania Lodge is a way better place for this then anywhere in Portland.

What makes Doug tick? :dunno :loco
    tymetrvlr likes this.
  5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    This is right on top of Apple Valley Rally, but bailing from that Sunday morning for Stevenson is easy peasy.
  6. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea, is the route locked in as far as the roads they ride or do they just have to make the checkpoints along the way and can choose whatever route they want to take? Avoiding all interstates along the way maybe? Paper maps only, no gps etc? Looked over the website but didn't see anything other than the daily checkpoints.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was a little bummed when I saw AJs event was overlapping this - Ride cool motorcycles or go see cool motorcycles riding by interesting riders - I like that both can be done.
    Bring everyone with you so we can show Doug and the rest of the Cannonball riders a great big PNWet Welcome from a bunch of dirty ADVers.

Yesterday I was having a difficult time finding the time for the Grand Finish and finally messaged the organizer to get the time. It only took a few minutes and I received a nice message back with the time. Later I found the time on the website. :doh

It was promoted and Portland to Portland all these months and just a few weeks ago they announced the Grand Finish location. I had been trying to figure out where they would do it in Portland, OR and all I could think of was traffic and a cluster F#*k for the riders coming in. I was thrilled to see they are not going into Portland and have a large, nice area for the Grand Finish.

In 2016 the finish at Carlsbad, CA was awful. There were only maybe 100 spectators, little to no parking for them - I parked my bike in a no parking construction area and hoped not to get a ticket. Rapidly my bike attracted about a half dozen other bikes - - No tickets to be had. The end was surrounded by one way streets and lot of traffic. It was over 90 degree out and humid. The area for the Cannonballers was a narrow parking lot at a visitors area (that wasn't open) and the people were in the way for the riders to get into the parking lot and off their bikes. The riders were dripping with sweat and there was no water to be found. YIKES, it was aweful.

Tacoma in 2014 showed them a spectacular welcome at the the Lemay Car Museum https://www.americascarmuseum.org/ - There was plenty of parking for spectators and clear roads for the riders to come in to a huge area to park their bikes. It looks like Stvenson will provide the same type of arrangement with plenty of room. The Cossack performed in Tacoma and I won't be surprised if they show up this year too.

I think motorcycles make Doug tick and the cool thing is he has a super supportive lady in his life. She lives in Bulgaria and runs their motocamp while he lives in Alabama. Talk about a long distance relationship. She's a sweetie and will be there probably riding the Triumph Doug bought her for Christmas a couple years ago.

RR if I remember correctly you have met Doug and enjoyed a little time with him?

Paper maps and roll charts.
    They are pretty locked into the designated routes, losing points if they get off route.
    There was an article I read early on that the route is only 10 miles of interstate during the entire 3400 miles - that alone is a challenge for the route creators especially in the east.

Something I found entertaining in Tacoma was watching Pat Simmons of the Doobie Bros. drooling over the Cossacks and taking pics of them with a point and shoot just like a tourist. Until then it never crossed my mind that a celebrity would be impressed by a motorcycle team. Pat will be doing the first half of the ride as #100 but has to go be a Doobie Bro. so he won't be able to finish. His wife Cris Sommers-Simmon #89 will be riding the entire Cannonball.

I snapped a few shots of Pat Simmons and Cris being tourists in 2014.
    219.jpg 220.jpg
    I wasn't close enough to get the full shot but Pat was standing on one of the Cossacks' bike posing for Cris.
    222.jpg

Cris is known in the motorcycle (Harley) world from years ago - '80s and '90s. If I can remember back that far she wrote for one of the motorcycle magazines and I believe she wrote a books as well. She worked hard at promoting women motorcyclists. Oh yes, an interesting fact, she got Pat into doing the Cannonballs. 2016 they were a team with another couple and Cris is the only one that completed it. The other couple was out when he was injured in an accident early on. Pat's bike broke down beyond repair quick enough to get back on the route. He continued on and was there each day at the finish to support Cris.

I wanted to meet Cris and made a pest of myself and walked up to her in Pueblo, CO at the stop over hotel parking lot. Pat was working on her bike as I was talking with her. He kept looking at her and beamed with pride as he was watching her talk with one of her fans. She told me doing Cannonballs is tiring and crazy - - - and she is doing another. :clap
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff LB !! Sheesh!!
  9. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    In for lunch.
    Ladybug likes this.
  10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I've been reading about these Cannonball rides and take every opportunity to be around old vintage bikes.
    I even bought a T - shirt from Doug to help support his ride.
    For the riders not familiar with the old bikes, they can't stop as quick as modern bikes.
    That said, the vintage guys don't like other riders on modern bikes riding along with them.
    That is one of the reason they do not publish their routes.
    Sure is fun to sit along the side of a road and hear them come and go.
    Hum...note to self, bring a chair...
    Mista Vern likes this.
  11. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    tymetrvlr and Mr Dual Sport like this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mista Vern - We have a couple more ADVers to cheer for:

Doug Jones ~ DJones
    [​IMG]

Terry Richardson ~ riggpigg
    [​IMG]
  13. Road Rash

Oddometer:

I have not met him person (although I'm looking forward to it), just chatted with him online. We have a mutual friend from the UK (another World traveler) who keeps a camper van and small bikes at Doug's place when traveling around Europe. We have been offered use of the van when it's parked............as long as it's not during bike week :lol3
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Find me or I'll find you at The Dalles and I will be happy to introduce you to Doug and then I'll walk away so you can visit with him. :D

I know Pickle got to meet him in 2014.
    Road Rash likes this.
  15. Road Rash

Oddometer:

That would be cool.........................but I don't know about you leaving me alone with that nutball :lol3
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    PKB :D
    MortimerSickle likes this.
  17. Vincenthdfan

Vincenthdfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at the Lemay Museum arrival in 2014 and it was well, well worth the trip up there to watch everyone roll in.

I really enjoyed it, looking at all the oil weeping old scoots riding in, the weary riders celebrating having made it across the entire country.

I highly recommend attending the finish if you can.

Very fun event!
    Ladybug and Mista Vern like this.
  18. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are planning to be there!
    tymetrvlr and Ladybug like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    LC Garage I'm counting on you being at the finish. Maybe you can even show up early enough to have lunch before although I know I'm pushing that.
    rg sw wa. and tymetrvlr like this.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I hope a few others join us for lunch but if not at least the three of us will be able to visit before heading up to the finish line. :D

Tommorrow Fri. 9/7/18 is the Grand Start of the Motorcycle Cannonball. If you would like to follow RTWDoug's progress here is his Spotwalla link:
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2e1b4de3265776584
    rg sw wa. and tymetrvlr like this.