The Natchez Trace, Texas Hill Country, Border Crisis Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PittsDriver, Mar 16, 2021.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's wall to wall on Fox news.
    longslowdistance likes this.
  2. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cable news and main stream media is the source of all divisiveness in America today. We would quickly heal and become a much more civil and moral country if everyone just turned that stuff off. Confirmation bias = profits for all of them and they're completely unashamed to capitalize on it to the ruin of our republic.
    st2sam, jwc, Jimdamit and 14 others like this.
  3. tmelesky

tmelesky n00b

Oddometer:
    Have ridden the Twisted Sisters more times than I can remember. One of the first times I was on a Laverda RGS1000, a gentleman's sporting bike of the day, so that will give you a clue as to my age! For your next trip; the road from Camp Wood to Rock Springs is worth riding. About 8-10 miles of it is a twisty 4-lane. Once in Rock Springs the place to stay is the Historic Rock Springs Hotel. No good BBQ in town that I know of. The next day ride south to Bracketville, a good highly entertaining road. In Bracketville there's an old civil war barracks that got turned into a kind of resort and motel operation. I quite staying there a few years ago as they're just not maintaining the motel part of the property. I rode down to Copper Canyon in Mexico two years ago solo, and didn't have the slightest problem. I stayed in Creel at a place called the Quinta Mision Hotel. The room was huge, and very nicely decorated and furnished. Last think I expected to find in Creel was one of the best hotel/motel rooms I've ever stayed in. FWIW if you think West Texas is empty and desolate the country south of the border between Ojinaga and Chihuahua is even more so. FWIW I was 65 when I rode to Creel and other points in Mexico and only have a smattering of Spanish. Lastly the road south out of Creel is very twisty but poorly maintained and very remote, only the occasional native indian village off the road.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  4. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    Nice RR..thanks for sharing. I did the Trace down to Tupelo from Outside of Knoxville. I think it was October and I planned to do the same thing...camp. Nope! I rode several miles out of my way near Tupelo to a campground. The park ranger gave my the info, but when I arrived facilities were closed due to Covid and you could only camp in a camper. I spent 2 nights in hotels, but it was fine. I was planning on going to the coast, but had to get home.

Attached Files:

PittsDriver likes this.
  5. je2000

je2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report and thank you for heading down there! Conditions are certainly much better than before.

That's a shame you felt to visit Franklin's for an example of TX BBQ. Salt Lick is amazing but not a great example. Next time find a shack on the side of the road. There is no reason ever to wait in line for Franklin's unless you care about Instagram.

I would imagine if those grandkids of yours were living in Guatamala, you'd do ANYTHING to get them over here including ford them across a river. Frankly you come off like a pompous and misinformed idiot on that front with the comment about their parents.
  6. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    We stopped at a few of those as well and they were OK but not at the level we had at the Salt Lick. I've made a lot of briskets at home on the Big Gree Egg using Aaron Franklin's method of trimming, seasoning, and smoking and they turn out as good or better than most of the brisket I had on the trip, Salt Lick excepted. And yeah, I'm not waiting in a long line at Franklins - that's just nuts.

I'd love to get recommendations for the next time I'm out that way! I didn't write it all down in the report but I reviewed a number of sources for the best Q in Texas but as a good ol' boy from the deep south, I know that the best BBQ comes from a shack with at least 2 health code violations.

I'm guessing this comment is about the incident where the kids drowned crossing the river? My comment, which maybe I didn't express clearly, was anguish over the desperation in the minds of those people that took their kids into the river. We'll never know what precipitated that but it seems obvious that there are some pretty nefarious influences on the poor people that are just trying to find a better life for themselves and their families.
  7. mrchips0401

mrchips0401 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pittsdriver

I live few miles from both downtown Austin and Driftwood/Saltlick.....good BBQ down here is like lobster is to Mainers.....it’s good but it’s around every corner so there’s that. I’ve lived in San Antonio and in Port Isabel (right in the border. Central TX is next to Cali and the SW region one of the best all year riding......all good bikes want to go to Mexico. I’ve been 4 times to central Mexico and will tell you it’s true what is said....it’s one of the most beautiful countries I’ve been to and that includes USA. Third world areas in America can certainly rival those in Mexico. I’ve seen more new Mercedes busses trekking the back roads in central Mexico than I’ve ever seen in the US. That being said, yes there’s violence everywhere, use common sense, don’t buy drugs, get drunk, late at night it’s a blast. Can’t wait to go back after my COVID vaccines.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  8. Brainsprain

Brainsprain n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for at least going to see. I’ve been involved for years with Presybterian Border Ministry and have written a book about the U.S. Mexico Border and Presbyterian work there. The border is a very complicated place with a complicated history. I dispute your comment about Sleepy Joe because much that is happening now is because of tempestuous Trump. Yet, this is no place for politics. The prob with the media is that all of it appoints someone to report on the border who had never been there. It doesn’t matter which source. We now have some people with actual experience on the border and with immigration from the Central Americans and Mexico that may actually develop a plan for dealing with the issue. Crises are a result most often of bad policy and not attending to the subject. I do hope in a year or so to ride the Natchez Trace. Thanks for your posts.
    rkover1, PittsDriver and jspringator like this.
  9. MotoPhotoAdventures

MotoPhotoAdventures Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a brilliant ride report!!! The Naches Trace trail is hot on my list of rides to do next year.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  10. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever n00b

Oddometer:
    This sounds like exactly my kind of riding. I'm in Kentucky so riding twisty roads is my regular fare. What I'd like is some modestly scenic views on decent secondary roads, with few cars and blind intersections so I can avoid the ride and not spend all of my time switching between orange zone and red zone.

Bonus if there's ample opportunity for Leave No Trace stealth camping.

Thanks for the enjoyable ride report. Next best thing to being there.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  11. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hang in there with the Nutisystems, Switchglide12! I started it at 295# and got down to 205#. I'm mainly sticking with it and am at 220# three years later.
  12. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report! I'm going to ride from Greeley, CO, to Caldwell, OH, for gathering of a few members of the NT-Owners.org forum, then drop down to visit Barber Motorsport Museum for a day, head up north to join the Natchez Trace in northern Mississippi, and then head home across Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  13. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. I once spent about 5 hours in the Barber Museum the day after a California Superbike School camp I did there. I felt like it took that much time to really experience the place properly and see all the bikes I wanted to see. Hope you can get off the slab for your trip from Colorado to Ohio. I'd be very tempted to tell googly maps to avoid interstates and follow that :)
  14. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Kentucky is a place that I haven't adequately explored and I'm due for a twisty road safari there with my camping gear. One place I've looked at a bit on the maps is the Daniel Boone NF area and I'd love to hear your recommendations about good places to ride some "old man adventure" rides :)
  15. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did the length of the NTP in the truck a couple of years ago. No, no comparison to the roads in the east but has it's own place and charm. Still enjoyed it and so did the pups. As far as Kentucky, the area around Land Between the lakes was simply dazzling to us. Ventured from there to Mammoth Cave . If you've never done the caves, there are multiple tours and options, though in this age of Covid, not sure what the options are now. Enjoyed your writeup, happy smoking.
    David
    PittsDriver likes this.
  16. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your avoidance of political discussion is appreciated! :lol2

You, as a Presbyterian with direct evidence border experience, may explain why the border crisis is Trump's fault. In less than 100 days of Biden's presidency, 19,000 (an all-time record high) "unaccompanied minors" are in US custody; 172,000 individuals entered the US illegally in March (71 % more than in February) 2021. Please let us know how the surge of, "non-documented" immigrants into the US is the result of Trump's immigration policies as you suggest.