The neverending search: light, performance, and QUIETER? WRR vs EXC-F vs ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by radioflyer20, Jun 29, 2021.

?

Which ADV bike to pick for lightweight, performance, and QUIET?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2021.
  1. Yamaha WR250R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. KTM 350 EXC-F

33.3%
  3. KTM 500 EXC-F

44.4%
  4. Honda CRF300L

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Honda CRF450L

16.7%
  6. Suzuki DRZ400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kawasaki KLX300S

5.6%
  8. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay Triumph you are getting a nice list- now go execute on it.
  2. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first company to produce a sub 300lb dual sport with 35 or so HP, power delivery down low with upgradable suspension, fuel injection, a 6th gear and cost around 8k or less preferably without the race MX service intervals will murder everything in this segment.
    Fast1 and radioflyer20 like this.
  3. Whoscook

Whoscook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like and would recommend a wrr. I looked at the ktm line but maintenance schedules are not interesting to me. I’ve got a better bike than the kaw or honda 300s. Ridden them all. Lightly modded wrrs are very capable machines in all types of terrain.
  4. radioflyer20

radioflyer20 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with the WRR for some people - it just does not fully jive well with me. Fun on the street, trailworthy, lightest of the Asian 250s... it just does not have enough low grunt torque for my needs. It is a 4 stroke that rides like a 2 stroke. Adding mods for the small power it gives on this bike only makes them louder.

So that begs the question - would adding a Rekluse to a WRR help its gutless bottom end be more luggable or just be a bandaid where there is no replacement for torquey displacement?
  5. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Absolutely more luggable and not a bandaid. I have a Rekluse in my WR and also did a CBR300R engine swap into a CRF250L back in 2017 so have ride knowledge in the same terrain on both. Put it this way. I have no desire to change from my WR to a CRF300L. Can link ride videos which may help you to see if it is doing what you need. My riding buddy in the videos has a stock WR clutch so good for comparison.
  6. radioflyer20

radioflyer20 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would be interested in seeing your videos!

The biggest reason I wanted more luggable torque was to throttle bump the front wheel up easier in rough stuff and have more guts when climbing in the mountains. The poor WRR survived Colorado passes but was sometimes hard work getting it there. It is completely gutless above 11,000ft but thats to be expected out of a 250. Dropped it several times trying to chug over Imogene Pass and even though it is light for a DS was still exhausted by the end of the day. I’m a smaller light guy so it makes a difference.
  7. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    This one has plenty of slower riding in single track for comparison. I basically use the clutch for gear changes, popping over obstacles when needed but the vast majority of the time I'm not having to feather the clutch through the tight sections. Have since made a tweak to the clutch cable adjustment and idle speed to eliminate the rare stalls.
    You can watch the Glasshouse sunshine coast adv ride vid for other bikes being followed (lots of crf450l). You may have noticed I haven't tried to push my WR barrow in my answers (threw KTM freerides in as suggestion and modifying stock 350 exhaust). Just responding about the WR as I do have a Rekluse in it. Always plenty of polarisation about Rekluses.
  8. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you. My 2021 500exc is a far superior dual sport than my previous DRZ and WR. Just finished a 1,000 mile loaded ride and the KTM was outstanding. My experience anyway...
    Fast1 likes this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Hows 42 HP, under 300 lbs and under $7000 with all the rest you listed grab you? But I think the 2021.5 and early 2022s are all sold out.

GPX FSE450.
    Emgo and Bhart89 like this.
  10. TeamGreen500

TeamGreen500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FE350S

Period
  11. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM and Husky 350s are revvy with the power up high. They are kind of like the WR250R with more oomph. Great if you like that kind of power but the CRF450L is likely a better choice since you get similar up top feel with more power and once the throttle is fixed with an ECU and pipe change about the same money. If the OP is looking at tractor like power, light and without the buzz of a KTM 500... not sure that bike exists.
    Fast1 likes this.
  12. Whoscook

Whoscook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with ktm500 being an awesome machine. I looked at one for myself. But i like the performance of my wrr enough to justify not doing the ktm maintenance or reliability when you go 3000 miles or more and don’t think about anything but riding!
  13. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Routine maintenance (well just oil changes really) I understand but I've never considered reliability an issue on a 500.
  14. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Plus you won't have to worry about that WRR fuel pump failure ending your ride.
  15. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that there's anything wrong with the 500 EXC , but I think I'd loose more sleep planning oil changes than the WRR's fuel pump .:snore
  16. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Why would one bike need the oil changed more often than another ?
    I don't change the oil in my KTM more often than any other bike I've owned.
    Fast1 likes this.
  17. Takataka

Oddometer:
    One bike is assumed to be running on the rev limiter most of the time and thrashing the clutch.
    The other is assumed to be cruising along and also it is pitching to a market that is more likely to buy with a longer interval.

I am yet to see credible evidence that there is any difference if the bikes are ridden similarly.
    Fast1 and Royce Cochran like this.
  18. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    Oil capacity is a factor .
  19. Takataka

Oddometer:
    I think the WR holds about 10% more oil.
    Anyway this has been discussed to death I guess.
    Hasn't anyone here worked on the engine design and specs of these bikes and can give us some insight into these decisions? Is there a forum full of people who know this shit somewhere? How do we get entry to this mysterious and top secret organization?
    Fast1 likes this.
  20. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    I'll quit :pot.