The neverending search: light, performance, and QUIETER? WRR vs EXC-F vs ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by radioflyer20, Jun 29, 2021.

?

Which ADV bike to pick for lightweight, performance, and QUIET?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2021.
  1. Yamaha WR250R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. KTM 350 EXC-F

33.3%
  3. KTM 500 EXC-F

44.4%
  4. Honda CRF300L

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Honda CRF450L

16.7%
  6. Suzuki DRZ400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kawasaki KLX300S

5.6%
  8. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Shhhh, Don't tell anybody. I put 2 quarts in my "13 450xcw....same as a WR
    No problems in 3k miles.
    Takataka, renogeorge and Bitingdog like this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Oil capacity won't mean much when you have a loose fitting air filter that is improperly oiled allowing dust to enter for 3000 miles of use because the maintenance schedule indicated a 3000 mile oil change interval. By then the engine will be well worn from that nice graphite mix ...

The oil capacity on my MV Agusta is 2.5L for a triple 800cc.. Maintenance schedule indicates 9000 mile oil change interval for street use. Not happening with my hands on the grips.. maybe 4000 if I'm touring easy and have the speed limiter programmed to cut the ignition out at 100 mph....

If I owned a WR250 and was ringing the neck on that little piston to make it perform, I'd never follow the maintenance schedule.
    I'm not knocking the WR250.. it is a good moto but you need to factor in how you ride something to determine what you feel is appropriate for maintenance.

I rode the entire COBDR on my FE 501 and dumped the oil, it looked like I just poured it in, new.. it was that clean. Could have turned around and rode it again in entirety without worrying about an oil change.

Whoever makes these maintenance schedules reminds me of a wife telling their husband what he should do :lol3

anyone listening to that here?

Takataka likes this.
  3. radioflyer20

radioflyer20 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely understand how some may prefer the WRR ease of mind over the EXC interval jitters. My WRR gets an oil change much more often than the manual as many of those miles are in dirt and sandy conditions. But I can also read between the lines and realize that an EXC used as a dual sport and not a race bike sure does not need the oil changed every other ride.

Hey Triumph, can you make us some of these: QUIETNESS of a Honda CRF250L with the lightweight torque of a 500 EXC in the flickable frame and wide gear ratios of the WRR along with decent service intervals that will end thread arguments.

Back to the whole light/powerful/quiet dilemma - was able to get the EXC out this past weekend to stretch it's legs some in the wild. This thing is a grunty beast. Love the predictable linear power and how it can chug in just about any gear.

But then I was able to ride my WRR and EXC back to back swapping out quickly for muscle memory response and have some observations for those that may be on the fence between the two:
    1. WRR "feels" more comfortable for my longer legs - the lower ground clearance has the pegs lower. EXC is more cramped.
    2. WRR for sure shifts better and sounds more "refined". EXC rattles and clanks like a bag of nails and feels more like a cheap toy.
    3. Due to my specific body proportions - the WRR is more "flickable" than the EXC due to the more comfortable standing position. But that may have also been more confidence in the full knobbies I had on the WRR vs. the stock TKC80s of the EXC. Maybe some bar risers on the EXC would help.
    4. Standby observers agreed that the EXC is noticeably quieter than the WRR (both in stock form).
    5. Strangely enough - observers said it appeared I was having more fun on the WRR than EXC. Maybe more flickable and familiar in it's current form but the torque and light weight of the EXC (way easier to pick up than the WRR).

Of particular interest: Although I am an AGATT type rider - briefly tried the EXC with just earplugs and no helmet... WAY quieter and much more enjoyable (until I get above 25-30mph then wind noise sucks again). It is as if the helmet becomes a focal end point node absorbing all those big bore thumper vibes being passed up through my body.

Is it possible a lighter weight helmet may diminish the vibes? Something like a Klim Krios Pro, which is about 500g lighter than my Scorpion EXO-AT950? ~$700ish is a lot to spend on an experiment that may not make much difference. Or would a heavier helmet - much how bar ends diminish vibes? I'd say the vibes are the biggest thing I have against the EXC at this point. Otherwise keep the WRR and throw a Rekluse in it like Cuttlefish suggest.
  4. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    My old 6' tall body appreciates a few changes I made such as lowered pegs, bar risers, cut down seat foam, and lowered softer suspension. Coming from a back ground of old 1970's + dirt bikes, the KTM is wonderful and surprisingly user friendly, but the 264lbs (258lbs before mods) ready to ride was the clincher.
  5. Cam

Cam Long timer

Oddometer:
    When KTM bumped the compression ratio from the mid 11s to the mid 12s, that would give me some interval jitters for sure. You can ride a bike soft and go easy on the clutch but that is a really high compression ratio on a very light engine. I believe the slightly older mid 2010 models probably work well on less frequent oil changes but I wouldn't push the newer bikes nearly as much. On the plus side oil changes in these bikes are a snap.

The EXC is definitely more cramped out of the box but some lowered pegs can fix that up pretty quick and a rider is still going to have vastly more ground clearance. I find the KTM to shift nicely particularly with its hydraulic clutch even if it is a bit stiff. At no point was I missing in any gear or did any of the shifts feel vague which is the real problem on many dual sports IMO. Essentially when I can feel the shifting through an MX boot and feel confident it is where I wanted it to go that is all that matters to me and the KTM has that... well unless someone is running cheap oil in it. That bike does not like the cheap stuff. Also the KTM handles as good as many straight MX bikes to me. The only "unsettling" thing on the bike is that power band being so low and somewhat unforgiving so whiskey throttle is real on that bike... reminds me of the old RM 500s. The WR reminds me of a two stroke with its power band. I always feel like I need to shift the hell out of the bike going into corners, up hills, etc. The KTM 500 could give a $#@!... I could be lugging the engine in 3rd and it just pulls right on through. I know some guys flame out that engine easily but I think that comes from guys working the clutch over and getting sloppy with the throttle rather than controlling the RPMs and staying up higher in the gear box. Coming from XR400s the bike feels at home to me offroad so I am certainly biased. The WR felt more refined both in good ways and bad ways. Mostly though it fells underpowered to me but I am a big guy used to tractors.

That said the bike will rattle a person's nuts clean off moreso than any dual sport I have ever ridden.