The new Chinese sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by twintwin, Jan 29, 2008.

1. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm living right now in HK for a couple years, and I'm planning this fall to ride the Silk road in China with my wife, trip organized by the BMW HK club. A sidecar would be a good way to enjoy this adventure, but mine is in the US:cry. One of a member of this club (Franki, he is on ADV also) told me that Jialing is manufacturing a sidecar (JH600BJ) for the Chinese army, 13000 are on order, and the compagny just finished a couple month ago to produce the first 1000 units. I was told that only a handful were sold to civilian.
    After a Google surch I did not found many specifications about this rig, but the 2 wheels 600 Jialing's ones are already known.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/highway1/la-hy-throttle28nov28,1,244138.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
    Any way, I have found a couple pictures on Google and wanted to share them with you, what do you think!!.:wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Transalp Jas

Transalp Jas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's sweet!
  3. Pigeon

Pigeon because white owl was taken

Oddometer:
    COOL!! looks like the wheels interchange.
  4. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    A dual Sport hack. The hack looks light for a military application. no side step to mount the hack. tire rack is familiar. I don't see the machine gun mounting bracket, It would likely do better then 55 MPH, the flat olive drab is a color familiar to many of us. well the chiness army has come of age with this new machine..
  5. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's about 2 feet tall.
  6. Nick in PRC.

Nick in PRC. Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl
  7. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Nick in PRC, you are on site, so do you have more info on this new machine?, specifications, availability for the civilian, price or is it a military secret!
    [​IMG]
  8. Dr Jim

Dr Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a full page for the 600B here:

http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/cn_web/600_yd.html

The civilian version looks like this:

[​IMG]

and apparently sells for about $4200 USD in China.

The same bike is being sold in France as the 'Rocaine' and apparently meets all Euro3 pollution-control requirements.

Looking at the various pages, I'd guess that it's a pretty direct derivitive of the Aprilia Pegaso/Cube line, since it retains Aprilia's high-mounted gas 'tank' as opposed to BMW's in-frame fuel cell, and uses a licensed version of Mikuni's DP fuel-injection instead of Bosch.

I'm pretty happy to see the sidecar outfit, as we're been stupidly pleased with Katherine's F650/Ural outfit, which has proven itself to be both a durable and practical daily commuter, and to be capable of running with the Urals until the conditions get more pukey than I'd like to ride in:

[​IMG]

If this rig could be imported and sold for under 8 Kilobucks, I think that it would be a commercially viable product - there's an untapped market for what sidecars really shine at, as urban transport modules - neatly slotting between a car and a scooter for utility and fun.

Cheers

Jim
  9. Dr Jim

Dr Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Nick in PRC.

Nick in PRC. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thing about living in China is.........you are always the last to know.....anything.:wink:

China's big cities are bike unfriendly.......I'll be virtually impossible to buy and register one in Shanghai.
  11. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except you aren't splitting lanes with one, which makes it loose a lot of utility in an urban environment. Not saying it wouldn't be fun, but seems like it combines the downsides of motorcycle travel with the downsides of being in a cage. Out on the open road/offroad, I suspect it would be a blast. Couldn't see commuting in one.
  12. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    Don't know what it's like in San Diego but here in NYC a sidecar combines the all-weather utility and capacity of a car with the ease of parking a motorcycle (almost). Yes splitting lanes is nice and saves a lot of time but you can still find more efficiencies in traffic relative to a car.
  13. Dr Jim

Dr Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Spags -

Different environments breed different solutions - up here in the Specific NorseWets lane-splitting isn't legal, if you fall afoul of a particularly hissy Orificer it can get you a negligable driving ticket. We also often have a situation where liquid actually falls from the sky without having to turn on the sprinklers - sometimes it is even frozen too. In these conditions, having a third wheel can significantly reduce the number of times you end up laying on the ground wondering what you've broken now.

Yes, down where the weather is basically decent, the road grid flows (or at least has alternate routes), and lane-splitting is legal - a bike makes terrific sense. Up here, Katherine reports that there's "Almost no time savings with the two-wheeler over the sidecar rig, both of them are 10-15 minutes faster than taking my car, and free to park too."

Note also that I'm predjudiced - I'm crippled enough that I either ride a 'hack, or don't get to ride at all, so a sidecar rig is an ideal solution for me - it slices through the city quickly, parks damn near anywhere, and costs less than $15/week for gas - your needs and mileage may vary.

Crawling out of my knothole, and back to the point, I believe that the increasing sucess of the Ural - which with its *AHEM!* 'quaint' design, size, weight, and limited speed has to be somewhat of a special-needs vehicle - shows that rising gasoline costs, and an aging population, have opened a window for other manufacturers to address.

Cheers

Jim
  14. bvardi

bvardi Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer:
    Here in Toronto (pretty urban) as a commuter with a sidecar (except when its too slushy or rainy, and thats more my limitation than the machine) I see the following advantages (for me)

1. Way cheaper insurance for me than owning a car.
    2. Free motorcycle parking downtown on street in Toronto.
    3. Cargo capacity
    4. Can park in backyard (can't do that with a car)
    5. Coolness factor of driving it (the Ural might not be the fastest thing on the planet, but on the other hand I keep finding myself humming the themes to various adventure TV shows while driving... c'mon... admit it guys you do it too.... I hope...!)

Besides which - with the Ural for some odd reason drivers seem a shade less impatient/idiotic - maybe they see it better because its unique, maybe they just think vintage machine so they allow more space.... who knows.
  15. wunlung

wunlung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There will be plenty of those in the U.S. in a few years.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty cool:clap
  17. tcs

tcs Palmer

Oddometer:
    Hmph! Yeah, a civilian version would benefit from the addition of a step, windscreen and tonneau snap-downs.

Say, does it have reverse?

Maybe when or if Jailing USA ever imports the JH600, they'll at least offer a side car accessory with the tub & frame, the four interchangeable wheels w/ flat tread tires and low trail triple trees if not the complete factory outfit.

tcs
  18. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much dhfox for all these valuable info. I assume that the sidecar is manufactured in the City of Chongqing, as you told me to go overthere to have a test drive!, maybe I will wait that it will warm up a bit[​IMG] to visit this area. Keep coming the revues, comments, pictures if you can get more through the Chinese forums, Happy Chinese new years:clap .
  19. Papa Pete

Papa Pete RIDES RED

Oddometer:
    Well they went and made someting in China that I would want to buy. :D

JUST DON'T LICK THE PAINT:puke1

We all knew it would only be a matter of time before they had someting
    cool we'd all want. I would be inclined to just buy the side car and mount
    it to something else unless it's picked up by dealers other than pep boys,
    auto zone and the hillbilly that fixes chainsaws down the road!:rofl
  20. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Anyone decipher what size tires those are. Wonder if they would fit a Ural?