The New Motoguzzi V85TT vs Stelvio 1200 NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Berardi3, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there everyone who has a Current Stelvio and are considering the new V85TT what are your thoughts concerns? looks pretty awesome to me and the new features are looking pretty appealing . The one downside i feel is the engine size . Price point is pretty competitive would love to hear others and what they think.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    I don't have a "current" Stelvio. I have the first version '09 but...

For me anyway, engine size is the least concern. Power to weight ratio isn't that dissimilar to the Stelvio. My concern is mostly centered around the suspension. 41mm forks doesn't seem adequate to me, and I'd also like to see a good picture of the swingarm attachment.

Watching the promo video, I watched the suspension working and it seemed a little "hobby horsey" to me. Running over similar terrain on my Stelvio is like riding on a magic carpet. The suspension working and the bike remaining almost perfectly still.

Numbers wise, the suspension travel and ground clearance appear to be pretty similar. I'll have to ride it for myself, but like I mentioned in another thread, even if it's very good and I buy one, I doubt there's any way that it could replace my Stelvio offroad, or comfort wise. I think it'd be very hard for the V85TT to match the usability of the CARC and suspension on the Stelvio. There's very little that the Stelvio doesn't do well.

I hope I'm wrong about the suspension and the V85 is a monster win for Guzzi. It is a terrific looking bike.
    davyjones and Dracula like this.
  3. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's 100lbs less than a Stelvio. That can only help off road. It also has traction control. With TC set at 1 on my 1400 it's very, very good driving off corners and minimally intrusive on gravel(though the 1400 is a pig and barely rideable on gravel). The V85 should turn a lot easier with less rotating mass and being 100lbs lighter. It's not going to gobble miles the way a Stelvio will but it should be quite a bit better cruising gravel. I think it's a shame the CARC bikes went away because the drive system has proven to be bullet proof but the V85/small block system is a lot lighter and should be easier to control wheel hop on rough roads. I share your concern on the swingarm attachment. I also don't think the rear subframe looks super robust.
    davyjones likes this.
  4. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 Stelvio and love it but really love the looks of the V85TT
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    Yes have tp agree about CARC its bullet proof from what i have heard.
  6. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Not just bulletproof. What it's amazing at is controlling the shaft effect. For all intent and purposes, it handles and feels like a chain bike. It basically eliminates any shaft effect. I don't see how the V85 can do that as well. There's no reactive rod or anything that I can see.
  7. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was thinking why you started this thread, as the past few days I have been thinking how it may be nice to add a lighter weight Guzzi in the garage. Then I quickly realized what I was involuntarily doing was mentally listing what I would not want to lose from the Stelvio experience, what else can be better, and except for the weight and perhaps mpg I see everything else nearly perfect on Stelvio as of today. Mind you, let's not forget ease of all around DIY maintenance which is very important to me.

Since I see most concerns are over frame & suspension, I said to myself let's just keep it road worthy without off road pretensions - how bad could it be? I then did a quick check on cycletrader and the V7 II and V7 III started growing on me, with real Guzzi character, awesome mpg and nimble weight - what's not to like? I recall sitting on one and it felt like a bicycle - light weight - compared to the Stelvio! So, OK I hear maybe half the horsepower is bit of turn off for some, I'll have to try it first..

So I am still very much attracted by the V85TT and await real ride reports and to see one in person. If anyone has a video link, I'd appreciate you sharing it. Edit: I just checked the official web site, and seems I should do it more often because I see new videos... :nomystery
    davyjones likes this.
  8. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    I think it will be a while for real world riding experiences will be able to influence our decisions for now we are all in the what if mode.
  9. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    But that 1250 GS sounds awesome .
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    May be just me, but to me that's a totally different class of motorcycle I no longer seem to be attracted to, due to overly sophistication with everything. If I wanted to go the high tech & performance route I'd also look at Ducati's or KTM. :dunno
  11. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    Just saying i know over engineered is not necessarily the best
  12. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I hear you. To me that has two aspects that are negative, dealer dependency, and higher risk of unpredictable down time. And I like to ride allot when I can, not wait for parts or service. I put 45,000 miles on my Stelvio since fall 2016.
    Vagabond68 and Utrider1 like this.
  13. Berardi3

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about BMW or Guzzi
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    You said GS. No?
  15. Berardi3

Oddometer:
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on and checked it the V85 at the recent Long Beach motorcycle show. My impression is that I'd need to ride it before making any sort of decision.

If I didn't have a Stelvio I would be very tempted to buy it. It's the size I wanted when I was shopping and ended up with the Stelvio. The primary concern centering around weight and seat height. Comparing to other bikes in the class it would come down to the Tiger 800 (pick your flavor), the BMW 800GS, Multistrada 950, maybe now the KTM 790. I'd probably also include the Africa Twin and Vstrom 1000 as they weigh about the same. The V85 is the only shaft drive option. So if that's critical there is no other option.

I've got my Stelvio very well dialed in and it works excellent for long distance touring. I've got other lighter bikes for various roles so I don't see buying the V85.

I WOULD buy a standard styled bike based on that drive train. I really want to buy a modern 850 T3 / 1000S type Guzzi and the V7 Special isn't it for me.
    davyjones, Dracula and Utrider1 like this.
  17. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in adding one to my stable. I would use it primarily as my "Utah" bike. I would use my Stelvio as my cross country adventure/sports/tourer as it is such an amazing mile gobbler, but use the V-85 for the quick and close 200-300 mile rides around here that would include dirt and other challenges that the Stelvio is a little overweight for comfort.

I would still get the luggage and racks, and would be very interested in an Ohlins option for the suspension from the factory. I see a fly n ride in my future, just have to get my beloved Stelvio sorted and rockin' again.
    davyjones, danketchpel and Dracula like this.
  18. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping they will make a V85 Cafe Racer - that's the one I'm interested in :evil

I'll wait for the new Stelvio or buy a used NTX when the time is right. The V85 is a cute looking bike and 100lbs lighter is just what the Dr. ordered, but for a road bike I suspect 100hp is going to be my personal line, YMMV
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:

Close, but I'd have preferred carc so will wait until I ride it before I sell the stelvio
    Dracula and JNRobert like this.
  20. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I was thinking Dr John Wittner but point taken :D
    Dracula likes this.