The New Motoguzzi V85TT vs Stelvio 1200 NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Berardi3, Nov 22, 2018.

1. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following my post on July 25th. I've since bought a V85 and, much to my dismay, it vibrates everywhere. Pegs, then the seat from 3800 - 5000 rpm and the handlebars above about 3200 rpm. I've just done the first service at 709 miles and adjusted the valves. They were out, but not by a large amount: L Cyl Int: .006 Exh .008 R Cyl: Int .008 Exh .006 Adjusted to spec: Int .004 and Exh .006. I'm thinking that the US bikes have had some changes made to the fueling compared to the Euro pre-production model that I rode, which was very smooth. I've tamed the seat vibration a bit by using an Air Hawk and I've just added some 1 lb bar end weights to try to quell the bar vibration -- waiting for the oil filter cover crush washer to arrive tomorrow before I can button it up to test ride.

Also of note, my suspension is much less compliant than the pre-prod model that only had 200+ miles on it at the time I test rode it.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    ??

I have a couple rides around 100 to 200 miles and don't notice significant vibration at all when moving. This is a U.S. market V85TT. It does vibrate at idle.

I would like the suspension to be a whole lot more compliant though.
  3. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Mine and another in the same shipment exhibit the same vibration characteristics.
  4. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About the V85 vibations.

I have put close to 7000 km on my V85 and been very curious about how the engine changes with miles. My bike had pronounced changes in vibrations when I hit 4000 rpm, from start they were slightly annoying. With the miles the engine has changed character to the better in my opinion as the vibes has "smeared out" over the entire rpm range.
    I still have increased vibes up from 4000 rpm but they do not feel bad, more like "pulse, tick" vibes then "buzzing". I can recall it was when I started to do longer runs at higer rpm's (5000-6500 rpm) after the break-in service that the engine started to loose up more and more.

My guess is, if you ride the bike easy and carefully it can take a looong time to get the engine to smooth out and if you, without to be reckless, using the whole rpm range and do some fullthrottle blasts now and then it will speed up the process of smoothing things out. My last bike was a V9 Bobber and continued to run better and smoother all the way until I traded it in for the V85 at 20000 km. :)

I also happen to buy new riding boots recently, boom, all footpeg vibes just magically disapeared.. so I actually got back and bought another pair to use when I wear those out!
    (it was SIDI all-road boots, if some would be curious). So the gloves and boots makes difference for sure.

It will be interesting to see the first reports of the AF mix as it might be running very lean from the factory.

I do think that these bike will always vibrate to some extent and its personal if you get used to like them, as I do now, or if you just give up and go for some other bike. One thing I'm pretty sure of though, give the bike at least 4000-5000 km before doing some final decisions.

Grettings, Daniel
    davyjones, bobw and ThruTheDunes like this.
  5. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I rode a v85 today for an hour with 1600kms on it and I didn't notice any vibrations. But I've go a Ducati and 2 x big singles. If you don't want any vibrations I personally think you should buy a Japanese bike. Or an electric bike. Or a pushbike.
    FFS, the vibrations are what makes it alive.
    Pabst, davyjones and Vagabond68 like this.
  6. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    What about service? I was told that for example a 2013 Stelvio ntx, can be worked on and tuned with a lap top and less than $45.00 worth of cables and software? Is that true?
  7. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can do some important service and tuning jobs with a laptop and cables, yes. You still have to get out the wrenches to do check/adjust valves, balance throttle bodies, and the many other tasks any motorcycle requires.
    Racegun likes this.
  8. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about the Stelvio. It's a cool bike. I am sure it is a good bike. But... looking over the MG forums, there just is not a lot going on. Then... one poster had gas tank issue. They could not find the problem. Then he took it to the dealer, they could not find the problem. So I got to thinking. Here I am, 500 miles from the nearest dealer. AND...... if I had an issue.... my $6,000 machine just became an expensive yard decoration. I wish there was more support. I also know that the 2013 and later models are better. I have a bad feeling that should things not go well, I would have to sell it. That might be a very difficult thing to do. I just learned a very hard and painful lesson with Indian ownership. As bad as BMW's can be, breaking etc.... at least there are thousands out there and help is just a mouse click away.

....at least that is my impression so far....
  9. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the support you need is right here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-stelvio-merged-threadfest.113158/page-2016
    Roose97 and Vagabond68 like this.
  10. 2wheelfrog

2wheelfrog Forever Noob

Oddometer:
    So, 50 + mpg on the V85 compared with 38 mpg on the Stelvio is "meh" to you?.....ummmm, OK.
  11. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's interesting what's important to people.

I was discussing the V85 with a mate the other day and made the observation that the V85 reminded me very much of the Hyundai Kona we'd just had as a hire car over in Perth. It did everything flawlessly, ran on the smell of an oily rag, was comfortable and had all the modern gee-gaws that everybody seems to want but it was also utterly without charm and as boring as batshit.

The V85 is a sort of two wheeled Hyundai Kona! Now that isn't a bad thing and it seems that boring and unexciting is what a lot of people want but I'll take the character and performance of the Stelvio any day, even if it doesn't get such good fuel economy!
    Roose97, Doc., TimmyTheHog and 2 others like this.