1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The new RYP

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Thesolidman1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my experience so far, $25 shipping to ship a jersey, and the dealer who I bought my 2019 from, and has been great, is no longer a dealer. Sigh.
    Thumbster, KKeltner, edgerat and 3 others like this.
  2. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if they are going to do the typical try and copy KTM thing and fail like everyone else. I sure hope not.
    Thesolidman1 likes this.
  3. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I caught wind of Ryan no longer being there I took Sherco and Scorpa off my list. Not because of Ryan but because of all the turmoil there and when Ryan left I felt that was a bad sign.
  4. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're willing to try something new, you may take a look to COMAS. I've testing it for a few months and I'm very happy with it:

www.abadtrials.com

Feel free to reach me if you have any question.
  5. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I have some comas made Vertigo gloves. Just that model is pretty bad, they are paper thin and have stretched to the point they bunch up :(
  6. utopia

utopia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Similar experience here. I've bought 2 bikes and all my parts over the last 11 years directly from RYP because there are no dealers near me. Now they won't sell parts direct and the nearest Scorpa dealer is over 5 hours away. Had to call an out of state dealer to place a recent parts order. He charged me $25 shipping for parts that came in a $12 flat rate USPS box. So now I call a dealer, he has to call RYP to check prices and availability and then get back to me the next day, before I can even get the order placed. I understand they want to support their dealers, but now it looks like orders will be more expensive and take longer to receive. I love my Scorpa, but my next bike will be something else.
    KKeltner, Boom Boom, jonnyc21 and 4 others like this.
  7. Thesolidman1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, love the bike, the plan was to replace it with another for 2021, now, not so sure. Seems so lame, to have the product, that people believe in and want to buy, and then alienate them with the business practices.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  8. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered a clutch part and a clutch gasket for a 13 Sherco from a dealer pretty far away from me (the internet said there were good supplier of parts) I was told by them that if RYP would drop ship them directly to me, it would add $25. I agreed to have my parts shipped back to the dealer with their bigger parts order and they would then ship to me cheaper. I was in no big hurry so I said ok. A couple days later I get an e-mail from the dealer that the Sherco distributor doesn't have a clutch gasket and doesn't know when they will have them. I think to myself, how many hundreds or thousands of bikes are running around the states using that same gasket (Gasket #3135 is used from 2011 to current) and they don't have any or know when they will get one!!! A few days later I check with a closer dealer and he has the gasket in stock so I order from him and immediately e-mail the original dealer to cancel the gasket. I got the reply that they did in fact get one in another shipment a couple of days ago, and they will mail it out tomorrow. Then they say "I wish you would have told us you got one". My response was. "I e-mailed you 5 minutes after I found one and you should have told me you got one when you did and I wouldn't have kept looking!" So, instead of refunding me the $27 that they charged me, or the $19 after the re-stocking fee they said they would charge me, they went ahead and shipped it to me even after I told them I found another. No biggie, $27 bucks. But it did make me wonder about the mindset of this dealer. Why would they not want to keep this part as part of their inventory? They have a hell of a lot better chance of reselling it than me needing a second gasket. Are they worried about losing the Sherco dealership and don't want stuck with parts? I'll stop there. Anyone need a Sherco Clutch gasket? I got an extra.
    laser17, jonnyc21 and Thesolidman1 like this.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I just bought a rear sprocket from them direct. I tried to go through my dealer and he told me that they still sell non Scorpa/Sherco parts direct. I can't remember for sure, but I think the shipping was about $15.
  10. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you can order all the accessories and aftermarket parts the way you always have at RYP. It is specific Sherco/Scorpa parts that you need to go to a dealer for.
    Thesolidman1 and Norman Foley like this.
  11. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I buy most of my stuff from SplatShop now, thanks again @lineaway , even with shipping from the UK it is still cheaper to ship than RYP. They wanted $25 for a set of S3 grips and a pair of S3 gloves..... Come on now.
    Cascao and Thesolidman1 like this.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I usually get my helmets (trials) in the UK. I have always bought good helmets, except for trials. I grew up in the no helmet era. But reality is I usually break a helmet in other ways. The side stand gives way and my helmet gets pinched in the bars, I drop it walking a section, a wild rider runs it over while I am scoring a section. That list is endless. No pricey helmet for the go slow sport. (Yes I have cracked a few crashing too!) Those that I ruin from a crazy crash get mounted on my wall of shame.
  13. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, who else in the USA sells CSP parts for my Montesa?
    I had a bad feeling when I heard Ryan parted ways with RYP.
  14. bfd402

bfd402 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've received good service from Trials Superstore
  15. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems crazy to me that mfg's/importers keep trying to push the enduro market-style onto the trials market. I mean it's not like there aren't other perfectly fine traditional options - for now.
  16. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my CSP skid plate from Lewisport.
    Whiskeywarlord, Buschog and jonnyc21 like this.
  17. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From on the pegs magazine:

"For those of you who know Ryan Young and are wondering what he is doing now, Ryan sold his shares of RYP and is semi-retired and will be focusing on trials schools and supporting the sport of trials through his trials schools, which he started long before he founded his business. “I started trials schools in 1988 and I’ve been doing it steady for the last 32 years,” says Ryan. “It’s a pretty successful thing for the local clubs. It gets them pumped up. They learn everything. Local clubs are the best way to do them; through a club or an organization. Basically they can get ahold of me at RyanYoungTrialsSchools@gmail.com."
  18. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I heard the same a couple weeks ago from someone who knows someone. Now that I have a contact email, I think I'll reach out on behalf of my club so I can start talking the other officers into it... Depending on cost.

Not only do I really (really-really) wanna attend a class, but I also see it as a way to help draw attention to the club.
  19. Thesolidman1

Oddometer:
    Messing around with the RYP website, apparently they have a $25 minimum shipping charge. Order one small $1 decal, $25 shipping charge. Most customers won't stand for this type of gouging.
    jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  20. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I know I am not. The crap thing right now is all the international mail coming into the country from the UK is going to International Service Center O'Hare. They are over 8 weeks behind on processing stuff......

Also, when you can buy S3 grips in the UK for 10 bucks and have them shipped here, that still beats the $50 flipping that RYP gets for grips and shipping.
    Thesolidman1 likes this.