The new RYP

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Thesolidman1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    It’s not like these guys are going to go and play golf........

Roper this morning:

A8494365-AF37-4D7A-A20B-C3608D0CEDAC.png

:rofl
    bobbywarner, 10K and LowPSI like this.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    No facts, just conjecture at this point. Here is some fact.... Covid-19 has affected trials around the world, with declining sales in some markets and competition schedules cut. Prime example was Vertigo and the Gelabert brothers parting ways recently. This happened without them ever competing on the brand, as TrialGP was postponed, and then Vertigo withdrew from the Spanish Championship (CET) as it started up. This was mutually agreed to and announced by all parties. Both riders have found rides on factory support teams since.

For Sherco (Scorpa) Factory One Trials Team, it's still conjecture on my part..... I assume that these riders were contracted to ride the NATC and the Super Trial Series? These series aren't happening, so the reason for their contract doesn't exist anymore. I'll assumed they have been released from their contracts, and any support withdrawn.

As noted before... Christie Williams the Factory One Trials Team Manager stated in an interview 7/2 that she was still in this postion, but on 8/11 she's interviewed riding a Montesa in Montesa gear, stating that if it weren't for the pandemic she would be a trials team (not named) manager in the USA. I'm guessing she's been released from her contract?

Ryan Young sold out his shares in RYP earlier in the year. He was no longer Team Manager, but was still to be involved in rider training and developement as an employee. He was laid off in April due to Covid-19.

Not hard to read the landscape on Pat and the possibility of a move to Gas Gas. He's National No.1 and KTM Brands love those riders. In the Enduro World Championship. The Italian Husky Factory Team (before KTM owned them) were the defacto Farm Team for KTM. Fabrizio Azzalin at CH RacingHusky was great at spotting new talent, and winning championships. Then Fabio Farioli at KTM Team would make them an offer they couldn't refuse.
    Gas Gas Team Manager Geoff Aaron is close friends with Pat's brother Phil who is supported by Gas Gas, and I believe they are both trying to push Pat that way.

The owner isn't at RYP in Kentucky, that's part of the problem. My dealer isn't allowed to call for parts orders, has to be through dealer site email. It took them 10 days to reply to my dealer when I need an OEM Scorpa part last time. As a Scorpa owner I can no longer buy OEM spares directly from RYP and I'll respect that, but don't make it more difficult for my dealer to get it.
  3. Rle

Rle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Norman for a very intelligent reply :) I agree 10 days in not acceptable.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How you treat people is everything.
  5. Rle

Rle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The owner is in Kentucky. I get the not being able to call and order parts we all did it for years but I had to step back and think how many people call and it ties up work time. It's faster to process emails. Technical questions sometimes require a phone call and I think those will still get a personal response.
    Norman here's Rons email ron@shercousa.com if you would like send him a email with your contact info and he will call you, he would like to visit with your dealer too, he wants to make things right :)
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking new inmate Rle could have some inside connections :-) That would be good because ears would be listening.

Riders will find ways around impediments, real or perceived. Customer perception and loyalty is hard to gain and takes time. It's an asset that can be quickly lost. VERY hard to earn back. Once a rider switches to an equivalent brand, the tendency is to sell out of the former brand (making more used bikes of that brand available), and they will stick to the new brand as onto glue, at least until disappointed severely (how easily that happens depends on the rider's personality).

As the trials world continues to struggle with being tiny and what it means to become 'modern', there will be more road bumps and because feces takes place and humans are flawed. Many believe trials should be treated differently and separately from the now larger 'Enduro' market segment because trials is so small and very peculiar.

Some riders are critical influencers. They have often overlooked value to the new owner of a long-established business. These guys are often swept out like so much flood dirt, and it hurts the new owners more than they know. And what about riders far from their territorial dealer? What if they don't like their dealer?

How about selling through dealers AND sell direct while rewarding the dealer in a particular territory with some percentage of sales? That's hard on dealers if they don't also sell a lot of other things from lots of sources, but what if they were rewarded with an annual check for direct sales by the importer? The importer could apprise dealers more immediately of sales and tech issues from riders in their territories. The dealer could then call the rider and ask, "Was your problem solved? Well good! If you need any further help don't hesitate to call me." Let the dealers earn loyalty instead of forcing riders out of direct support.

The double approach requires an importer to maintain more overhead. In USA that would mean salary and benefits for a 'Kevin at RYP' while giving up some margin. But collapsing market share by impediments and perceptions can be worse, MUCH worse!

During the really lean years, Ryan had to become everyone at RYP. But always, a rider could get what he needed direct, including problem remedies. It's why RYP survived the big economic downturn of 2008/2009.

I wish the best for all the trials importers!
    soupbill, Beatprojim and jonnyc21 like this.
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    The problem seems pretty obvious, & common, in my view. I've seen a lot of successful businesses sold to new owners that new how to "run it better". It doesn't matter whether its a motorcycle importer or a dental laboratory (my business). All too often they are so focused on the bottom line they overlook what got the business there in the first place; the current customers & the model that brought them in. Then they proceed to work very hard at "making improvements", and at the same time are scratching their heads wondering why suddenly they are in decline. Sadly many times they end up shuttering the doors because they can't recover, other times they do make a recovery, but with a completely different customer base. But in this case the pool to draw new customers from is extremely limited.

I, too, wish them the best. But they'd better get their head out of their ass before it's too late.

One last thing; having a minion or insider or whatever he is come throw fire crackers into the fire doesn't help nor improve the perception of what's happening.
  8. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. My dealer is my connection to the company and Ron should contact all the dealers. And especially the Trials only dealers, to find out how the changes implemented are or are not working for them. Mike Komer at the Tryals Shop is my dealer.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    "One last thing; having a minion or insider or whatever he is come throw fire crackers into the fire doesn't help nor improve the perception of what's happening."

Whoever Rle is, I don't think that's what he's doing. But I do think a little more info and management of perception would be good (read on).

"How you treat people is everything."

This is true. Also that companies pay attention to what current and former customers are thinking and saying about them. Monitoring forums with some critical influencers sharing their thought is certainly a savvy thing to do.

The virus angle in this case - from what I heard directly - stands up. Some businesses have been on the upside of the the real and perceived effects of SARS CoV-2 and the Covid-19 symptoms it causes in some. Other businesses have been hit hard or are already dead. Some business owners have been hit very hard in the cash flows of other ventures, forcing serious belt tightening in another business. Starting a new venture, it's tough to get smacked hard in the critical early transition phase when you make or break customer perception.

How a business owner chooses to communicate a difficult time to customers varies greatly with personality and business realities. Some will remain tight lipped to the last day. My guess is this approach is the vast majority for the same way many lurk in forums to not 'risk' how they might be perceived. A few will be more open. "Our factory was struck by a storm. Please be patient as delivery times may be slow", when actually it was an F4 tornado and they are picking bodies out of the rubble :-O

There is a risk to being closed, partially open, or fully open in problem times. But managing customer perception is a safe bet all the time. Sometimes that means innovating around a problem. Sometimes it means being open like, "We're in serious trouble, but hang in there with us, we're going to survive this and come out better for it."
  10. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always had good, if sometimes slow, purchase and shipping experiences with RYP. Starting sometime in the spring I had 2 experiences that did not go well. Not horrible but bad enough that it drove me to look other places for parts.

1. Stock online shows zero but a call to RYP results in me going to my local dealer to order the parts that are actually in stock. That was ok but it seems like most Sherco/Scorpa dealers have very little experience ordering P and A from RYP for customers. Driving the business through the dealer is great but RYP needs/needed to support the dealer when that was being rolled out so the dealer can provide the expected service and create a good experience for the customer.
    2. I attempt to order S3 grips from RYP online and I am surprised that I can based on my previous attempt. I put the ~$23 grips in the cart and then see the $25 shipping charge. Regardless of the myriad possible reasons for that shipping charge it creates another negative experience.

My point being that it only takes minor issues to send people looking for alternatives that don't present similar problems. You can't please all the people all the time but you can anticipate what obvious hurdles will come up and be prepared. Both of my issues, in my opinion, are things they should have sorted before they happened.
    Buschog, FASTRacing, jonnyc21 and 4 others like this.
  11. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be honest to admit I ran Sherco - Scorpa bikes for a few years not because I felt it was a better product but rather because of Ryan and the great parts supply Kevin always followed thru with. I am not afraid to admit I am a spoiled Amazon user and once you have that service of parts at my door in 3 days the price was never an issue but felt was fair. I am happy to report I have TRS dealer that offers that same great service (Miller Brothers) that I was used to getting from RYP thus I have yellow now.
    PMK, Beatprojim, Johno33772 and 3 others like this.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    If you have a good idea/plan that has good potential but it is implement badly it will likely be as affective or even worse than not having the idea/plan in the first place.

Just my experience...
  13. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fully agree. The outcome is basically the same
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Doesn't Ron Lee ride a TRS? I remember him being on Beta before that?
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Silent partner of the new Sherco/Scorpa distributorship..?
  16. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Ron Sallman gave me a call tonight, and we had a nice conversation. Ron is living in Kentucky running the business, and it will eventually move to Texas. He said they are working on many changes for the better and there will be some interesting announcements soon. Shipping of parts and accessories will be getting a big overhaul. With many aspects of the big picture very different than we perceive from the outside. There is a higher level of continuity with Ryan, Brad, and Ron than we suspect. Ron is also quite willing to accept that there have been some missteps and bumps on his part in the transition. Some surprises ahead so it seems.
  17. Rle

Rle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear you received a phone call! Sounds like it went well.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding shipping parts direct - One distributor here in NZ has a system where you can buy online directly from them for recommended retail. During the checkout process, you select your local dealer (or any dealer you favor) and the dealer gets their cut/margin.

Seems like a good system. You get your parts fast, dealer gets their cut and wholesaler makes a sale.
    soupbill, 2whlrcr, motoc and 2 others like this.
  19. Beavis353

Beavis353 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...you spelled Honda wrong.:photog
    Beatprojim and Boom Boom like this.
  20. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out with the old RYP, in my opinion when you quickly distance your business from the long time established RYP and devalue the RYP products nothing good can happen? Example the Trials industry standard RYP trials training videos at $5 Yes, this a bargain hunters dream. Factory One is telling me RYP has no value to them?
    KKeltner and Harry Potter like this.