The new RYP

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Thesolidman1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Is that a VCR tape or a disc?
  2. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RYP training videos are DVD

jonnyc21 likes this.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, every time I walk into a modern motorcycle shop it reminds me why motorcycling numbers continue to fall. Not the same type of camaraderie of the 60`s through 80`s. Like I always felt when I walked into a new car dealership all my life. The 6th sense told me to get out of there now!
    Paul7, SherpaT, Huzband and 1 other person like this.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why I love the Tryals Shop, it's still 100% Old School Bike Shop of our youth. It's a real Dinosaur!
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Does it smell like castor oil when you walk in?:D
    jonnyc21, rokhopr, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  6. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tryals Shop and Mike Komer are the real deal. Mike has devoted his life to the sport. Proud to call him a friend.
  7. Super Dirt Dud

Super Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know Mike until Norman directed me to him to buy the 125 Scorpa so it is Normans fault that I drive a day to get Mike to work on my bikes or get me trials stuff .

Thank you Norman his shop does feel like home just a little more cluttered .
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Kylee Sweeten is off Factory One now.
    jonnyc21 and LowPSI like this.
  9. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand why importers would want a high standard for the dealerships. But I believe for trials, the
    'Mom and Pop' shops have their advantages. Run by enthusiasts, having their finger on the pulse of the sport. Trials experience and knowledge. Low overhead, it's often where trials riders could get a decent discount on their bike. The dealership I bought my 2019 from is now gone with the new importer. When I walk into one of these cycle superstores with multiple major brands, i don't know, it's like they got no soul, no history. And most likely have little trials knowledge. Like Linewaway says, feels like a new car dealership.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't like that. Dennis will fix that.!
    Norman Foley, jonnyc21 and LowPSI like this.
  11. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You make some good points Solidsman, both types can be successful. Look at Apex in Colorado. One of the biggest multi-line dealers in the US. They have over 50 years in the Trials business. I remember when the owner DB had a Bultaco shop the size of two phone booths.

Some Mom and Pop's do great also. It all depends on the amount of interest the dealer has in the Trials market. I've seen small dealers who's only interest was to get bikes at dealer cost for themselves and their buddies. I've also seen small dealers outsell the big ones 10x1. The dealer plays a huge part in growing the sport and business in his local market.
    Brewtus, Huzband, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  12. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to RYPUSA to get some Sherco gloves, both Trials and Enduro, and there was not only no Sherco gloves but no pants or jerseys. I did score some S3 Alaska gloves and RYP Sherco trans oil measurer. Just got the feeling everything there is on close-out, once gone its gone. Sad that the decades and energy spent to build not only a business but Trials interest is being put to rest. Its like the new importer is begging me to make a TRS my next bike.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well to be fair, they are moving across the country. This year is a bust. Next year the first National will show the true colors of the New Sherco.
    KKeltner likes this.
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    The question will be, “with who?” by that time. I think they can safely put the team buses on the market now.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  15. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    After talking to Ron, I feel a little different. They are closing out items, as they are moving to Texas. Less inventory to move. RYP is transitioning to Sherco USA/Factory One, in part so Ryan can control his name and brand for his riding school and other future ventures. Sherco USA as a commitment to grassroots trials, will provide ribbon to mark sections free of charge to any club. The Empire Tryal Club, which is is the Tryals Shop based club, just got a box from Sherco USA. It will be enough for a few trials.

On the Trials Team.... the truth is that the 13-15 rider team was unsustainable financially. When you sell 250 Trials bikes a year, it hard to have 26-30 bikes for your team (1 race, 1 practice bike per rider), plus the other costs even with no or minimal salaries. TRS doesn’t even have one Importer supported rider, other than Jim’s nephew Jesse. Ron said he thinks it’s better for the sport to spread the top riders around to more manufacturers, as opposed to RYP cornering the market on them.

Some new stuff coming on the Trials front from Sherco USA/Factory One, that will surprise people in a good way.
    Johno33772, Huzband, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  16. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    That’s how it works for the most part.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Riders (from various makers) were “loaned” a bike and then could sell it at the end of the season. If it sold for below cost, they paid that. Most were essentially on free or subsidized bikes.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  18. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps Ron should put out some sort of public statement so the US trials market has some idea what is going on. Lack of communication is going to cost them market share in a ridiculously tiny market. I'm glad we have @Norman Foley here with some insider info, but trust is built when the info comes direct from the horses mouth.
    KKeltner, Johno33772, y4m4 and 5 others like this.
  19. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with Norman and am feeling a bit different after reading his note. Giving away 26-30 bikes a year is not a "for profit" business decision. But, it may also point to how good the Brad Baumert/Ryan Young team was to our sport and it's riders. To provide that much sponsorship has to be hard on the profits and my guess is that Brad made his money from his other business and did what he did in trials for the love of the sport. The Sherco "youth camp" at TTC is another example. A young friend of mine got to train with and stay in a cabin with Sam Fastle and Alex Myers for a week. All just for the cost of getting there. The camp was run for how many years?? I think we all wish things has stayed as were but with Ryan, and especially Brad gone, trials has stepped back into the real world proper business decisions have to be made. Thank you Brad and Ryan for doing what you did! Good luck Ron trying to step into those big shoes.
  20. 6thGearMotorsports

6thGearMotorsports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what was going on with them. Good read hear. I went to place a order at ryp and the shipping was way to much. I'll wait and see what happens. Need s3 #5 bar ends.