1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The New Schuberth E1 Finally a True Adventure Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GCecchetto, Aug 28, 2015.

1. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    The E1 is heavier, noisier and catches more air than the C3 Pro but, i'll bet it is better than any other modular flip up DS helmet.. I bought it when there were no other DS helmets with flip up chin guards. Where it stands out is the Schuberth support. Yes, it is pricy but no other helmet company takes care you like Schuberth!
  2. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I am using E1 for almost a year and did about 25.000km with it.
    Pinlock sucks. I have two other Arai helmets and never had a problem with their pinlocks. With E1 it is a constant problem. The pinlock insert moves whenever I flip the visor up and it makes a hole between it and a visor. I took it to the dealer, they kind of set it, but the problem remains.
    Here is the picture of the visor a day after a visit to the dealer.
    [​IMG]
  3. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem. Did you read my post a few back on how to adjust it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    motolover likes this.
  4. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I did. The dealer took the pinlock off, cleaned it and then installed again. It looks I will have to do it alone, to make sure it is done correctly.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Disappointing to read the complaints about the helmet stability issues with windscreen turbulence and crosswinds. I've had several issues with this with my RF1200 and a couple different bikes, was hoping to hear different. For those that came from a Schuberth C3 Pro (the regular modular helmet), was it better? Might go that direction instead.
  6. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    Maybe it is a problem with taller riders. I am 179cm and it is O.K. for me on my GSA.
  7. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking the insert out doesn't mean he adjusted the posts. Unless I'm reading wrong.

8. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

Same here. Zero issues with wind.
    I'm 5'9" and ride a GSW.

9. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    He was fiddling something with a small screwdriver..
    mosey.levy likes this.
  10. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok well either he fiddled wrong or you need new visor or insert.

My insert was slipping straight down not holding at all. I turned the pins and now it's holding perfectly. Check it out let us know.

11. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    One little plastic screw is broken, so it cannot be adjusted with the screwdriver. Managed to adjust the other one and it looks good, the pinlock is in position as it should be. Will test tomorrow and see, if it holds the position.
  12. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Screwdriver should not be anywhere close to pinlock pins. If you take a very close look, there is an arrow on the outer side of the pin. It should be pointing back. This indicates that it's in correct position that keeps the pinlock insert nice and tight.
    akgsa likes this.
  13. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it was broken before I even touched it. Good information about the arrow, will check how mine are pointed.
  14. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the E1 still use a true Pinlock brand insert? WebBikeWorld reported the Pinlock copyright expired and Schuberth was going to start making their own inserts.

Fresh from the dealer my insert didn't seal at all. I turned the pins to their tightest and it seemed to seal fine, but a week or two later riding in the cold the visor frosted up all over the inside of the pocket. This is less than 2 months after purchase (not sure how long it sat on display). It seems to fog over in general more than my C3 did, although it has been a couple years since i rode much in winter so difficult to recall specific conditions...
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps he was using the flat side to pop the pins out? I wasn't able to turn mine easily, so just removed and reinserted with the new orientation.
  16. ADVRKD

ADVRKD Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    It is a Schuberth anti-fog insert. I reviewed the TT Mod Helmet for the BMW Owners News. I've not had any issues with the insert in my TT Mod helmet.
  17. krumgrinder

krumgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nor have I, with my TT Aventuro Mod - I put my insert in a month ago, working well so far.
  18. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To you guys who have had the E1 for a while - care to sum up your experiences in adventure conditions? I'm especially keen to know:

- How good is the ventialtion?
    - Can you use it with goggles?
    - Can you ride with it flipped up if you need extra air?

And any quality issues (apart from the recently mentioned pin-lock) you may have experienced :)
    smuty likes this.
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ventilation is an odd one. I've been using it in cool weather and the ventilation is too much. There is a bit of a permanent vent to prevent CO2 build up, but in the cold I find it's a little too much. I've been meaning to blank it off a bit.

In hot weather it could do with more. That being said, I've happily used a HJC helmet in 39c and 98% humidity without a problem. Or 36c in the dry heat of the Sahara.

Not tried goggles.

Yes you can ride at lower speeds say up to 50mph with it flipped up without issue. It then becomes top heavy though.

No quality issues at all with mine, certainly nothing wrong with the pin lock either, works as well as any i've used on HJC and Arai helmets.
    fastcompany and smuty like this.
  20. The Blue Kazoo

The Blue Kazoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've recently purchased an E1 crossfire hi-viz. Have just returned from a short 4 day ride in Oman.
    I am coming from using an XD3 and C3 in the past.
    I like the fit of the schubert so thats why I've gone with this model. Its a good compromise between a decent road bike helmet and having the peak and flip up is a bonus when touring at a more sedate pace when you are stopping frequently to look at maps, see tourist sights and take photos. That was my reasoning anyway.

So on the ride into Oman the weather was particularly windy, strong crosswinds and big gusts played havoc with the tip of the peak. I could see it oscillating / vibrating like mad in the top of my vision through the visor. It was quite annoying to be honest and not something I ever gave a huge amount of notice to on my arai XD3. I was riding a KTM 990 and a lot of wind buffeting from the screen was hitting just at the right height of the peak so maybe it was just a perfect storm of alignment.
    I was considering stopping to take it off but just pushed on through the next hour of riding until I was past the worst of the weather. With the heat and strong wind kicking up a lot of dust I kept the visor and vents closed for the best part of two hours. This made me heat up inside the helmet but it was tolerable with just enough ventilation coming through to stop it being too stuffy.

Once the windy weather settled down I could ride with the visor open and tinted inner visor down which was perfect for fresh air to the face. The drop in wind speed and crosswinds also meant the tip of the peak settled into a more normal stable position with little noticeable vibration.

The next day I was adjusting the peak into a higher position when one of the little plastic adjuster locking pins snapped off, WTF. I was pissed. I thought the whole mechanism was stuffed but after closer inspection I was able to attached the helmet visor back in place securely, albeit without the use of the little lever that was now packed away in my jacket pocket. I must say this was only day two of me wearing the helmet and probably about 8 hours max on my head in total when this failure happened. I know its plastic and can be brittle, but I expected it to be more robust for a piece of equipment that may be adjusted daily in some circumstances.

[​IMG]IMG_8107[/url] by gormedic, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG]IMG_7152[/url] by gormedic, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG]IMG_7689[/url] by gormedic, on Flickr[/IMG]

Its the weekend so I haven't been able to contact the supplier yet. But I am hoping its an easy replacement job. Either way the helmet and visor were still functional and it didn't stop me enjoying the trip. I did however resort to completely removing the peak for the return motorway journey as it started to vibrated again at motorway speeds. And I just couldn't be arsed with that bugging me. Doing so also reduced wind noise too.

Overall, my impression of the helmet is that it is not a huge improvement over a c3/c3 pro. The visor is something I can live without most days, but I like the option of having it for long touring days when the sun is low in the sky. Its a compromise helmet for me, not fully off road oriented with the lack of venting and poor ability to fit goggles. But for most of the time I prefer the ability to flip-up the front when needed, I like the drop down inner tinted visor and most importantly for me its a helmet I can wear comfortably all day long. Now just to get that plastic peak mechanism fixed.....

Attached Files: