1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The New Schuberth E1 Finally a True Adventure Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GCecchetto, Aug 28, 2015.

1. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the Schuberth E1 and really like it but I do get some visor buffeting at over 70-ish. Did a mod today to see if the visor will stay a little stiffer and not buffet. I am 6’1” and ride a BMW GS1200 with a Z Tech screen for reference. So in trying to stiffen the visor I ran some threaded rod through the visor with nylock nuts and a sleeve around the threaded rod for a more finished look. I filed the rod so it would seat up in the inside of the bill. Not 100% on seeing the nuts on the outside but we will see if it improves the ride. E95F9611-2D0A-4BD8-A41E-F35B6A5E4C86.jpeg 9ADA9C63-994B-4F6F-B19B-6B785E065BA2.jpeg
    Dale402 and eddyturn like this.
  2. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people i see with issues and buffeting have an after market screen.
  3. karter18

Oddometer:
    The stock screen is much worse for me and the riders at local dealer (6) run the adventure screen on their regular GS’s or an aftermarket screen.
  4. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    IMG_1571.jpg Could be that some guys are donning these new Schuberth lids for the first time and if that's the case I totally get the reason for trying to come up with ingenious ways of conquering the Schuberth let down. But, what I don't understand is the complete lack of backlash complaints to a company that's selling $1000 helmets that have issues.

I have spent my good money for two of Schuberth's C3 Pro helmets through the years and I can tell you that Schuberth has consistently stripped away more and more quality from every iteration it puts out. They are at the point now where their newest offerings the E1 & C4 have grown in size akin to bobbleheads. The original C3 Pro was small and the as time went on the C3 Pro's got larger and didn't fit the same. Mind you, they were very slick about how they went about changing up the helmets and even I didn't realize it until a lot of time had passed.

I was unfortunate for me that while riding in Laos I crashed pretty bad and face planted my original C3 Pro in between the handlebars and the asphalt. Long story short I get back home take advantage of their exchange program at the time and get a new C3 Pro. Happy to have a new lid but it never felt the same as the old one but never in a million years would I have any reason to think that it was not identical to the previous model. Normally with the lid exchange program one has to surrender the old lid back to the dealer but for some reason I ended up keeping the lid. With no more use for it I simply put it on the top shelf of my motorcycle closet where it sat for the next few years.

Haven't ridden much at all since moving back to the US from living in China and building a new R1200 GSA but that's another story for another time. For some reason back in the US I suddenly able to notice little things the chin strap wasn't as comfortable and the metal on the buckle had changed along with the length of the insert IMG_1568.jpg IMG_1569.jpg IMG_1570.jpg , the noise level inside the helmet was noticeably louder and, most of all the danm visor would not stay opened at even reasonable highway speeds. At this point I'm looking for a new lid and so desperately want an adventure type helmet but when I look at what's being offered in the market I have to question what the hell is being talked about in these companies meetings? The problems that consumers have with products are most often known and discussed before these products ever arrive on retail shelves, I know this because I lived in China for the better part of a decade. The point that I'm trying to make is it's the old bate and switch just carried out with much more precision. It's the same with car manufactures, they always through everything at the first model and slowly strip stuff away to save cost as time goes by and in the case of Shuberth these new models are what we the consumer have ended up with.

Why in the world would someone have to come up a rod & nylock nuts to make a visor stay up on a $1,000 helmet? Are you kidding me!

At the very least, why would Schuberth not update the E1's antiquated SRC system to the SC1? Even if I were to overlook the E1's shortcomings why on earth would I voluntarily buy in to an SRC system that is unable to effectively deal with my cellphone and GPS independently (two channels)? This is 2018 not 20111.

When they first announced that the E1 was coming to market I did a small writeup on Revzilla talking about why I thought and continue to think the E1 would not make for a good adventure helmet. One of my main reasons was the mechanism for the sunshade is highly susceptible to getting clogged and caked up with dirt and mud. The photos of my crashed helmet shows the evidence of what I was talking about. On the helmet in the photos that cable system no longer functions effectively and dirt in and out of all of the vents speaks directly to why dirt helmets exist.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned how they hoped that the next generation of E1's would address some of the known issues. Well, if they do address the issues that may work out nicely for the new kid on the block buy his or her first Schuberth but what about the suckers that bought the first models, who are they chopped liver? And, if you were one of the first buyers that spent $1,000 are you telling me that you'd actually be willing to ante up that same money again? Not me. You fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
  5. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Got mine last week....after leaving the tags/stickers on for a couple a days...finally decided it fit well enough to keep it. First day out road 200 miles with no hot spots.....so far so good....first time having a modular, that features comes in handy. Retractable sun visors a nice touch as well.[​IMG]
    SoPaRider, Offcamber and karter18 like this.
  6. karter18

Oddometer:
    I agree with Staudio above as this is my first modular. I like the modular features for sure and I am vary happy with the helmet overall as it is quiet and the built in communication works well and the flip down sun visor is awesome. I would buy one of these again.

The mod on the visor appeared to work well on the way in today but the turbulence is mainly from the windshield set up as if I stand up the visor is pretty good.
  7. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    There has been no evolution in the C3 Pro.
    First there was the C3, the one on the right in your pictures, then there was there was the C3 Pro (on the left).
    They were both available simultaneously for about a year or so.
    The E1 is based on the C3 Pro which does have quite a different shape than the E3.
  8. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but you are mistaken about my helmets. They are both C3 Pro's. And, that's exactly one of the points that I'm trying to make, Schuberth has been quietly downgrading them along the way and if you don't have them side by side it's really hard to know the difference.
  9. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for comparison: I have about 3k miles on my E1, riding 2015 R1200GS with a stock screen set at various positions and stock seat, from high speed freeway to forest roads and trails. I am about 5’9”. I find almost no buffeting. I keep the beak in its middle position most of the time, and the lowest when the sun is low. On the GS, I can adjust the beak while riding with my gloves on - set the cruise control on a straight piece of road, and adjust with both hands in a few seconds.

Once or twice I took the beak off for highway stretches, which made it a bit quieter, but now I don’t bother.

I find the helmet comfortable and quiet (I always wear good earplugs).
    mosey.levy and karter18 like this.
  10. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I just double checked and I do apologize, it is my mistake. You are correct that one is indeed a C3.
    mosey.levy and Schussboelie like this.
  11. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Got to say I have had lots of adventure helmets in my time. Mainly Shoei and Carlberg.
    I have a E1 and do not have any issue with
    : peak rattling
    : ratchet strap comfort
    : visor not staying up
    : comfort
    : noise
    : fit

I ride a 1200 and 700 Gs. I am 5 ft 7. Standard screens. That might be the reason it all just seems to work... or I am just lucky.. personally I think it is a very well made helmet.
    karter18 likes this.
  12. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    No problem.
    Still no excuse for them to downgrade quality and upgrade prices...
    Huckwheat likes this.
  13. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I am so glad that you pointed out the difference in the photos because it actually reinforces my point. For the record I’ve since been looking around for another C3 because my experience tells me that the C3 is the best helmet that they’ve made to date.
  14. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    You'll be hard pressed to find a new one though, they haven't been produced for a few years now...
  15. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Just got one of these. Nice helmet, but it's not an adventure helmet. It's a road helmet with a peak, nothing more. I'm happy with it for my purposes though.
    karlb and Schussboelie like this.
  16. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    There isn't a great selection of sizes and colors but I've spotted a few in the size that I need on Ebay UK and Europe. The bonus of buying abroad is the ECE rating that comes with the helmet as opposed to the DOT version that you get in the States. DOT is a joke and antiquated at best. ECE & Snell are the designations that I look for.
    Schussboelie likes this.
  17. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    You can get "brand new" C3's at Louis.de:

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/schube...1698252&list=ab1c64d94a2fb3468006f13f6c3276a4

Louis.de allocated a bunch of C3's and are selling them as their own "special". All sizes were available when I checked a couple of years ago. Price includes VAT so minus that if shipping outside EU.
    Schussboelie likes this.
  18. Hates_

Hates_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my E1 for two years now and I’m starting to notice some play in the peak. So if I look down the wind will cause it to move down and then if I look up the peak will move up. The movement is happening at the mounting points and isnt just the peak flexing. I’m fairly certain this is a new occurance as the movement is quite noticeable. Has anyone had this issue?
  19. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a bronze or brown visor for these?
  20. Billy52

Billy52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rings to which the visors attach fill with crud over time. Clean with water and a toothpick. Should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk