1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The New Schuberth E1 Finally a True Adventure Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GCecchetto, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have an idea how to remove the ring parts from the peak? Trying to replace the ring that has a broken adjustment tab, but looks like other tabs could break if I force it off...
    [​IMG]
  2. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a few months but I am happy to report that after cruising the internet between the UK & Europe I finally found a brick & mortar online shop "thevisorshop.com" in the UK that was able to provide me with my once again coveted Schuberth C3 Basic helmet. Between the purchase price and shipping to my US front door they were by far the least expensive option.

Out of the box the helmet was missing the pinlock and the velcro chin curtain. That might be something to be mindful of if ordering one of these none production Schuterth helmets. I was a little bit disappointed with the box lacking those two pieces but it didn't move me enough to contact the company about it because this is my 3rd Schuberth helmet and I have a couple of face shields and extra pinlocks & chin curtain spares laying around.

The first things that jumped out at me were the same things that I've known all along, the physical difference in size and weight are noticeable. I immediately removed the face shields of both helmets and put them on a digital scale. The C3 Pro weighed in at 1560g vs C3 at 1360g = 200g difference which is a substantial weight reduction to carry around on someones head.

After putting the helmet on I felt a sensation that closely resembles the effect that one gets when putting on a set of noise canceling headphones and I am extremely happy how this helmet feels while sitting around my kitchen table, LOL. The weight difference as noted before is very noticeable.

The C3 Pro is still in great physical shape as it's never been dropped so I will retire it for now to the top shelf of my motorcycle closet to sit amongst the other helmets.

They way I see it, I've probably get another 4-5 years of good use out of this C3 provided nothing happens to it. I hope by then maybe one or two of these helmet manufactures can get their shit together and produce something special. I am not holding my breath, perhaps a little ways down the road with some spare cash I'll purchase another C3 and shove the box in my closet for safe keeping.
  3. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily want to have a play at being debbie downer here...
    *but*...
    consider this:
    your coveted C3 is a "dated" helmet... has been released in 2008 and then replaced by the C3 Pro in 2012...
    Not sure if there was an overla during production end... but still at best your "new" C3 is already 6 years old... at the very worst it's bordering on 11 years of age.
    Sure shelf-stored in a box... none the less. Helmets do indeed have a shelf-life.. and your"new" C3 might be well past that by now.
    put 4-5 years on that, and you're looking at a 16 year old helmet... just saying.
    Me I wound't be too happy about the thought of protecting my lovely face with a 10+ year old helmet... not it if I can avoid it.

I get the old is gold and everything was better in the past thing (*sarcasm*... yeah...)
  4. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    Everyone is intitalled to their own opinion I suppose. Nonetheless I am quite happy with my decision because the helmet satisfies my needs. My C3 Pro now lives on the shelf. And just what is this shelf life all about anyway? One of the first things I did was to take it apart to check it out and I saw no signs of disintegration in any of the materials. Aren’t eps liners made up of some version of styrofoam? As far as I know won’t that stuff live in a landfill forever? I think that this so called shelf life that you speak of is just hyperbole that you are regurgitating but have no firsthand knowledge of, sounds like BS to me. There are other helmets that I have retired to my shelf that are only past their time not due to age but because they are just plain worn out and nothing more.
  5. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Shelf life in helmets:

essentially it boils down to a few different factors...
    1. EPS foam... the foam over time will loos some of it's plyability (I guess due to "evaporation" of some oif the chemicals compounds)... resulting in a HARDER & easier to break EPS foam than it should be.. delivering LESS impact protection...
    2. Shell.. depending on the type of material plastics turn "brittle" over time (sure UV Exposure speeds this up, so a boxed helmet is not that much impacted by that)...
    In laminated shell materials (carbon fibre, etc) the actual fibres are rarely an issue, but the bonding compound (epoxy, etc) can be an issue.
    3. there's a few more of those factors, when it comes to material degrading over time...

Last but not least, shoei for example once published a figure of FIVE years IN USE... and SEVEN years of Shelf-Life for their helmets.
    And shoei isn't the crappiest lid maker in town either.

Now say those figures are - especially with higher end helmets - on the low side... again, worst case: 11 year old helmet.

And nope, material deterioation is a lot of things, but Bullshit it isn't.
    it's science.....

I've worked with enough different natural and synthetic materials for the past 20 years, to say, that I personally would not give much trust in a 10+ Year old helmet.
    but hey, your brain, your pain.
  6. Wei Feng

Wei Feng Iron Man

Oddometer:
    You site a so called report put out by Shoei without anything other than your word or memory to back it up. Further more you offer no dates nor time periods in order to add proper context of said report. You also omit the helmet or helmets that said report was actually referring to. With the commission of all of those things and probably a lot more that I cannot think of at the moment you go on to apply broad and sweeping strokes across the board for the rest of time and millennium solely based on some magazine article that may have been read in an airport toilet stall at one time or another. Further more even IF I were to consider entertaining your unsubstantiated conjecture you attempt to offer some 20 years of working with various materials that have no relation whatsoever to the makings of any types of helmets. I wonder if Shoei had any ulterior motives with further sales by providing said report? By your own admission said report talks about SOME breakdown in materials but no mention as to the percentage of said breakdown. Generally speaking these types of top of the food chain helmets pretty much all employ at least dual density eps headliners supposedly made of higher end materials so, even if over time there could be some minuet percentage of eps degradation your said report makes no mention of unsuitability for use. Since you have taken it upon yourself to put yourself out as some type of helmet expert I would simply ask you as to what percentage does an eps liner need to degrade that pushes it outside of the range of acceptability? I eagerly await your your expert test procedures to apply to my new helmet.

Just so you know, I was armed with the awareness of the rumblings that you site over said shelve life prior to my purchase. The reduced cost of the discontinued C3 is by all means welcomed but that cost reduction was not factored into my purchase at all. As my earlier postings indicate, the C3 helmet purchase was not a destination but rather something that I arrived at. I reiterate the relief of still having access to the discontinued C3 because I have not been able to find another helmet currently available in this modular category that meets my needs in terms of airflow, quietness, and all day comfort.

I have no plans to allow your skewed thinking to sway my sound judgement so, I will happily wear my severely degridated Shoei reported helmet if it's alright with you. In the future I will be sure to consult with you first before any helmet purchases and if you should happen to possess a masters degree or PHD in any other areas of adventure motorcycling please don't hesitate to forward your doomsday reports.
  7. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an E1 on Sale at Revzill....$300 off! Took me a couple of days wearing it around the house to decide I wanted to keep it as it fits much different than my Nolan which admittedly was to big for me. Added the Sena 10U to it and am very happy with the helmet so far. Gonna give it an extended work out this weekend. The only buffeting I have is at higher speeds 65+ its more visual, I can see the visor vibrating. I don't feel my head is being moved. Riding a S10 with an MRA Xcreen wind screen. I'm 5' 11". I may need to adjust the angle of the wing on the screen to get more air off my head. Very impressed with the sound level in the helmet. Air flow could be better but its about what I would expect from this type of helmet.
  8. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just installed a 10U in my E1. The provided instructions were nonexistent..had to scour the internet for tutorials but overall its not difficult. Sound quality is excellent. Only had a few days so I can't report on much more but I have had great luck with Sena products in the past.
  9. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this much needed contribution... now how about a xanax?
    wow... sensitive topic I guess?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read this thread end to end before buying an E1. The lighter weight and quiet described here sold me. So, I bought a L and XL because I am precisely in between on their size chart at 59-1/2 cm. If you are like me on size, order down because the XL was too loose. The L fit perfectly if a touch tight. It believe it would break in and be just right.

But, I also just returned both helmets to Revzilla because neither would close right. Either the rest of y'all got lucky or I got really unlucky with two strikes in one purchase. Maybe it is right for these but not for any other modular I ever tried. They constantly close and only lock on side. Which jams and makes it a pain to reopen and try again and again and again. As far as I can tell, there is no way to reliably close either of the helmets I received. I would think maybe it was me if every other modular I tried hadn't worked perfectly for me. These two sure as hell don't close like any other modular I tried.

The L was really hard to get on my head over the neck roll. I guess that is a Shuberth thing and why they are quiet. It was doable but difficult and fit well once I squeezed my head past that. But then it gets weird. I almost couldn't even get the XL on my head. I could not find a way to get my head through that neck roll. Once I did by pulling ridiculously hard on the straps, it was a normal enough fit. But, then I had to get it off. That hurt. WTF is with those neck rolls when XL is way, way tighter than the L? Plus the liner on the XL was sewn wrong and didn't fit the helmet right. There was also no way to fold the tabs back to unblock the vent holes like the L allowed. Then the visors had me rethinking these altogether. They are much less substantial than any offroad or adventure helmet I own or have tried. I can imagine them surviving a branch smack and yet another of my all too frequent tumbles onto rocks.

I really, really wanted to like these with the $550 sale price. But the build quality of the two I received was not even what I have come to expect from my sleazy Fly Trekker or my two HJC helmets. I can't imagine HJC letting either of these out of the factory with a balky mechanism much less Arai or Shoei that are typically in that $550 realm. I also wasn't crazy about the 2016 build date for these helmets. I guess Revzilla isn't moving many - hence the big sale. So, they went back. To me, the Scorpion AT950 is simply a better helmet. Pretty much every modular I tried is. At least I can close the face on those. I'm not wild about the tight cheek pads in the Scorpion. But at least I can get my head inside them.

My bottom line: I could maybe live with the pain in the ass face closing mechanism in a $200 helmet. But, to me, a $550 helmet should be perfect much less a full MSRP $800 helmet. Maybe it was just the two I received. But that begs the question of why a company selling $800 helmets would let two out of the factory that way. I tried on several Scorpion AT950's and some other modulars off the shelf at Cycle Gear and every one of them opened and closed perfectly. So, I just don't get this quality for a very premium price.
  12. ADVRKD

ADVRKD Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Three seasons with the Touratech Adv Mod Helmet and it's still the best Schuberth helmet I've owned. My first Schuberth (BMW branded) was purchased in Italy in 1996. Photo was taken for a review, wait for it to load fully to see the visor in action.

[​IMG]
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You know there is a difference in weight between ECE and DOT spec Schuberths? The shells are different and that makes the US versions heavier. This happened with the the C3 pro and C4 as far as I know.
  14. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I coudn't close the chin bar on the one I received either. Have to spread the helmet a little to close. That was only when it was not on. When on my head, it actually opened and closed perfectly. Not sure if this is intentional or not. The large was tight on me even though I measured in at 59. So I'm waiting on an XL to see if it fits better. They had actually sent me another L by accident instead of the XL the second time and that one was the same with respect to opening and closing. Wouldn't close right off my head, but when wearing it, no issue.
  15. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Same- closes fine on your head as your head spreads it apart a bit. I assume this is known and expected.

Grreatdog, really stupid question, but you're putting it on/taking it off with the chin bar raised, correct?
  16. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    My E1, six months old now, works as suggested above. No issue. Easy for me to put on and off.
  17. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Did it loosen up at all so it closes easily when off head? I have an old c3 and it closes fine off head.
  18. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I just got my E1 in XL. I noticed that the cheek pads are quite tight on this helmet. So can someone confirm my logic, if I want more room, I need to order 2xl cheek pads?
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes on trying them chin bar open.

Both I tried only latched on one side on my head unless I slammed hell out of it. Even then it was hit or miss latching both sides.

Very disappointing helmets. I also wasn't crazy about the 2016 build dates. Y'all could be trying newer models by a couple of years.
  20. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Nope. The ones I’ve been trying are 2016. I’m ok with that at close to half price. However I’ll agree the latching when off the head is not confidence inspiring and I thought something was wrong with it at first myself.

I do have two old c3’s here. One L and one XXL. Neither of them do that. But I’m guessing if that’s the case on both of the e1’s I’ve tried and everyone else here, it’s probably normal, or possibly intentional. I’ll reserve ultimate opinion until the XL actually shows up. IMG_1010.jpg