The New Schuberth E1 Finally a True Adventure Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GCecchetto, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With no modular experience, I might have believed the E1 closing issue was OK except for one thing. I drove over to Cycle Gear and tried a bunch of AT950's to see if my expectations needed recalibrating. All fit consistently and closed perfectly on or off for 2/3's the sale price of the E1.

Like I said, I really wanted to like these helmets. But the ones I got really weren't right.
  2. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    It has
    loosened up a bit. Closes on and off head ok. Must say i dont close it much off my head. Dont see the need
  3. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrote to Schuberth and asked about this opening/closing thing. I'm curious to see what they say. Anyone sprechen ze deutsch?
  4. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the E1 and it fits my head very well and snaps closed either one side or both very easily. My first modular so when I started to try it on in the store they said wait and flip it up first as I was putting it on like a regular helmet. I also saw the person there Schuberth trained adjust a helmet by widening the part of the helmet where You checks are so the mondular chin bar would align better so maybe that’s where some are having trouble. Mine has latched since day one easy?
  5. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Yes, widening the helmet where the cheeks are causes it to work fine. But I didn’t have to do that on the C3. Given it was used so I don’t know how it was on day 1. The XL I just got works a little better, may just need some “breaking in”. That being said I feel like I need a L liner in an XL shell and I know that’s not possible. The L gives me a headache in a few minutes and I think the XL is a hair to loose. My lips hit the chin bar and the scratchy filter thing in the L. I can stick thumb in between helmet liner and my head in the back pretty far up in the XL. I may just be the princess and the pea in schuberth world. My HJC size large was perfect size. Might have to stick with a different brand.
    Grreatdog likes this.
  6. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Good conclusion Wandergives, sometimes if a helmet doesn't work it's better to move on.
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You aren't. The chinbar in the L was way too close for me and the XL was too big. These helmets just did not work for me.

And the latching issue simply should not exist on these at $400 much less the $800 retail price. I don't buy any of the rationalizations. To me, they should work out of the box like other brands.
  8. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Question please
    How did u widen the helmet?
    Cheers
    Paul
  9. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    FYI - from Schuberth themselves.

Thank you for your support of the SCHUBERTH brand and for taking the time to contact us. As you mention, the chin bar closure on the E1 can be a bit finicky when not on the rider’s head. In cases where the helmet is too big (more common than you would think) it can sometimes present latching problems even while being worn. When properly fitted, the latches will engage securely and you won’t have any trouble with them at all. You can trust them completely. You should never use the helmet if you can’t secure the latches while wearing it.

We can service the helmet so that the latches close consistently when not being worn if you’d like. Please provide a copy of your purchase receipt to verify warranty and we’ll take the next steps from there.

So that answers that. For me this helmet just doesn't fit properly. The chin bar on the large shell is too close to my mouth and XL is a smidge too big which I assume would get worse as it breaks in. Like others, I really wanted to like it, but unfortunately it's just not right for my noggin. FWIW My head measured 59 on the dot.
    Grreatdog likes this.
  10. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:

Question please
    How did u widen the helmet?
    Cheers
    Paul
  11. karter18

Oddometer:
    I saw the person at the dealer literally spread the helmet apart while it was open. I was supervised how hard she pulled on it but I would be pretty careful YMMV.
  12. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    I just spread the flaps apart with the straps. I didn’t permanently widen the helmet.

Funny enough, the last XL revzilla sent me closed fine without being on my head. I tried in one of the neotec 2’s at a local cycle gear. Fit me like Cinderella’s slipper. Oh well.
  13. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunno if anybody cares, but the Scott Hustle goggles fit nicely with the E1. Used them extensively when off pavement riding the COBDR last August/September.
    Just took off the visor:
    FB_IMG_1536453664013.jpg
  14. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got an E1 delivered today. What is weirding me out is that behind the visor, i can literally see the unfinished edge of the shell. Is that how this is supposed to be or am i missing some gasket?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much what mine looks like. I think it's normal. That being said, the plastic surround on the visor seal covers the edge a bit better on mine.
  16. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems so shoddy. Thought it was missing a gasket of some sort at first. If you have a chance would love to see a close up pic of yours.
  17. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait what? You can spread the E1 apart to make it bigger? My girlfriend has a size small E1 and it's a touch too small. Gives her hot points at the forehead after about 30 minutes. What do you do ? Literally just pull it apart?
  18. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Here’s mine. E8ABC18C-A646-4BD5-B808-BBDDA19DEBA7.jpeg
  19. karter18

Oddometer:
    This basically made the helmet wider where you cheeks are not where here forehead is. They also said you can take the backside of a spoon and compress the foam behind the liner VERY LITTLE to make a little more room if you have a hotspot but this is not sanctioned by the manufacturer of course.
  20. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just looked at mine and compared to all your photos. Mine looks almost exactly the same. The edges of the white foam inside mine are cleaner, yours look little burred.