1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The New Schuberth E1 Finally a True Adventure Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GCecchetto, Aug 28, 2015.

1. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ccieurzo and Blissed. Burring doesn't bother me; can just sand it off. Thought it was missing a gasket or something.

Secondary, interesting story:

Revzilla has a couple of E1s on sale for $299 which i thought was a good deal on these. They only have sizes XS and S available at that price.
    For anyone ordering this plus an M or L liner ($50) like i did; the M liner is actually thicker than the S liner that comes with the helmet. That is because apparently even though the shell is the same, the EPS is Thinner on the larger sizes so they counter that by making the liners thicker. So if you are thinking of buying the S with a larger liner, that's a no go.

Per standard measurements i am an L, sometimes M depending on brand. But i always prefer to get one size down, suffer for 3 weeks and then the helmet will mold perfectly to my head as it takes shape and expands. For the last 6 years i've had an Arai Corsair V that i got at size S. Torture for 3 weeks, but after that is like a second skin.
    Size S on the E1 feels slightly larger than my S Corsair when brand new, so i think it will mold just fine.

Mini review based on wearing it all day yesterday:

I wish the ear pockets were larger. Added my old Sena SMH10 speakers and the padding hugs the ears (with or without the speakers). I prefer bigger space there.

Weight; it is not light.

The head liner (for forehead and crown) is a larger diameter than the interior bowl. So it has to fold in two places. It tends to fold/create two ridges on the two sides of the forehead: frontal bone? (high on the forehead, above the outer edge of the eye). These dig in. Will have to pull the head liner to force the folds to happen in the back of the head and velcro/double tape them there.

So far these are my 3 gripes with it.
  2. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have successfully deepened the ear pockets in my Schuberth helmet with a small soldering iron. Heat it up, and slowly and carefully approach the center of the pocket. Don’t touch it! It softens and melts the material away. Or use a Dremel tool.

The fold in the liner may create a pressure point. I’d cut the extra material away and either stitch it, or glue together with a backing fabric tape.
  3. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    You guys broke rule number one in buying a helmet. You bought one that doesnt fit you. Mine was fine straight off the shelf. No reno,s required. That is the way to buy a helmet.
    Motodisiac likes this.
  4. mac inger

Oddometer:
    Disagree. IMO a helmet should be tight when brand new so it does not become a slouchy down the road. Every helmet i have bought that is a straight fit from the showroom becomes a loose bucket/unsafe later.

@Blissed it is not that bad. The other trick i have heard is using a spoon to just push it a bit. Honestly i think it will be fine after breaking in and/or fine for most users. I am just kind of weird when it comes to room around the ears. Want to feel 0 pressure, if not nothing touching the cartilage.
  5. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:

Interesting.........my helmets have never loosened up like that.. but there again they fit well when i get them. I certainly would never adjust ( apart from lining thickness available from a manufacturer) any aspect of the helmet safety features
  6. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's probably because you have an average head. Some of us, with oddly shaped skulls or protruding large ears :ear, need to make minor adjustments to achieve a comfortable fit. When done judiciously, what I described above does not compromise the safety of the helmet.
    EastRoad likes this.
  7. mac inger

Oddometer:
    That Is interesting. Every well used helmet that i have is definitely looser than when new. Over time simply the act of putting it on will compress the cheek pads.

I prefer to have my helmets skin tight, i.e., the helmet still pulls facial skin with it if you move it around by grabbing the chin bar. Up, down, side to side. For my money, if the helmet does not do that, even after years of use, it was too big to start with.

Have not done any modifications before either. Not thrilled about doing it, just think that the E1 is close enough that a tiny push will make it perfect. Plus CHEAP (299) compared to original price.

Arais and Shoeis have had nice cavities for my ears. Once bought an AGV S4 (i think?) which had zero space on the ears. No idea how people wear them. Swear i don't have abnormal ears.
    Zubb likes this.
  8. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree ;)
    Ok - not completely.
    Sure buying a helmet that FITS properly is the most important aspect... but there's a difference between a good / great fit and a helmet that has one or two pressure spots even after a generous breaking in time.
    I'm perfectly fine using a spoon or other such tool to make MINOR adjustments to FINE TUNE the fit to my head.

it's a bit like buying a pair of trousers and having to shorten them slightly... perfectly fine, if done nicely... but if you have to alter 50% of the trousers to get them to fit, you might have chosen the wrong size or model to boot with.

I've had to modify the ear pockets and sometimes have to reduce a hot-spot mostly here or there to make the helmet long-term and long-distance friendly.

some helmets allow you to remove padding in layers from the comfort liner... but by far not all do offer that feature.
    Others fit "perfectly" but for that one tiny annoying spot.

sure, your idea of buying the ONE helmet that fits, works if your head matches the average design head the manufactuer models their helmets on... if it doesn't according to your logic, some wouldn't be able to buy a helmet at all.
  9. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Look i understand your points
    My point is if an Aria or Shoei fits without adjustment as you say and a Schubert doesnt you should stick to what fits. Just my thoughts
    As much as we think we can do a “ minor adjustment” safely , manufacturers and testing authorities wont see it that way.
    I suppose my point is buying a helmet by brand is starting out wrong.
  10. mac inger

Oddometer:
    Sometimes people like to try new things
  11. ChuBrocka

ChuBrocka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I have just joined the club. I was lusting after a C3 for a few years but could never bring myself to spend the money. My HJC IS-Max 2 has worn in to the point that it's unbearable loud so I started researching my options for a replacement. Luckily I stumbled across Chromeburner out of the Netherlands. They saved me $450 and had it to me in Canada in one week plus included some free silicone earplugs with and aluminum key chain storage tube. Can't wait to get this lid out for a test ride!
    eddyturn and I82l8 like this.
  12. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having a hard time with my current E1. I had one, adored it, had a minor off in it and relegated that to a backup duty and bought a new one. But damn, 1,000 miles in and the new one still feels as snug as the day I bought it, no break in at all. (The first did the same, but by 500 miles felt like it was custom made for me)

Anyone with a new one experiencing the same?
  13. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought an E1 and got to ride with it a few hundred miles. Compared to my last AFX helmet this is very nice except for a couple of things that I hope some of you guys may be able to help me with.

1.- I like to ride with all the shields in the up position except during rain and/or cold. When going over 60 MPH, the clear shield comes down by itself and is annoying to me. It seems like it's ratcheting mechanism is not strong enough to keep it in the up position. It is much more sensitive (touchy) as the bike speeds up, this maybe due to the flutter.... Any suggestions?

2.-I'm experiencing higher level of flutter compared to my prior helmet, especially on the outermost sun shield. This sun shield seems to vibrate/resonate, and increasingly gets worse, as the bike accelerates. This is probably due to the air flow pattern of my windshield hitting it directly under.

Any suggestions to improve these two issues is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  14. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some have posted with positive results to put a piece of felt like material between the face shield and main body of the helmet, below the screw that hold the shield in place . Sort of a shim to keep the shield up and prevent it from closing once the speed of fun is achieved. I like to ride with shield up as you do, and my E1 does the same thing and its quite annoying. I haven't tried the shim trick yet, but I'll give it a whirl one of these days. Other than that I really like the E1 and its a very comfortable lid
  15. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tnx 413Sean, i just happen to have a couple of pieces of thick felt and it seems it may work ok. I will not be able to give it a try run today since it is raining here in Arkansas. I will post the field report in a couple of days. Tnx again
    413Sean likes this.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    And how much was the cost of this True Adventure Helmet? Rigging up any helmet just shouldn't need be done and when the pricing gets up into the premium range you'd think the testing would have eliminated an issue that would require some rigging like that one.
  17. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I paid 999 beans for my e1, I NEEDED the adv version due to a trip out west.... I immediately adjusted the sun visor to adv position, then removed it permanently and felt the need to stand up on my pegs even tho my GSA pals were long gone sipping lattes in Jackson Hole. My c4pro shield also comes slapping down at the speed of fun (132mph)so who knows... once I got out too Montana on the magruder passage I truly felt like a badass with my E1 for the monies spent.... especially wearing the right tool for the job on my noggin and the bike, my 99r1100rt. Yes my sense of adventure had been accomplished by far, especially knowing I had the correct lid on and it was adventure time. Joking obviously about my response. The E1 is essentially a c3 with with a shitty sun visor that flutters ar speeds of 30mph+ and the face shield comes slapping down over 60mph. My arai corsair X doesnt do that, but I do like modular helmets, not having too remove the helmet at fuel stops, to grab a quick drink or to snap a pic at a cool location.
  18. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yessss, it works. As suggested, I put 2 thick felt pieces between the clear shield and the helmet body (just under the pivot point) and yes, it held the shield better, the clear shield did not come down by itself, not even with the air flutter.

Further, I put two pieces of wheel balancing weights (from Walmart's tire shop for free) on the sun visor to de-tune it and stiffen it some. Worked well up to 60 mph, but not as well above it. I think i have to stiffen it some more.

Tnx 413Sean for the tip. Too bad we have to play with an item that we paid top dollar for it. Having known all this, I don't know if I would of bought it, I have mixed emotions. Maybe time will change my opinion1... REGARDS!
    413Sean likes this.
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The shield flip down isn't that huge a deal to me, it isn't a primary function of the helmet and has an easy, simple, and cheap fix. I think I send mine back to them soon after purchase and they were able to adjust it.

A more prominent problem to me is that you can't ride like that without ruining the fog insert. I have yet to find any helmet that has solved this problem without sucking hard some other way...