The new TAT...???

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    TAT Mapping

<HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Just received Sam's TAT maps/roll charts and downloaded the entire State of Tennesee within an hour using Mapsources routing tool. So far haven't had to use the Track tool yet as all of Sam's routes were in the updated Garmin Mapsource 2010.1. Although haven't been able to find the Tennesee Leeve route.

I am currently using a Garmin Zumo 450. Mapping on Mapsource and then downloading the routes to the GPS has been rather fast and easy!

(*) According to Sam, he will travel to Oregon and update the State section at the end of June.

Hope to see you all out there....
  2. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ummm.... the levies are in Mississippi towards the end - not in TN.

You'll get there though.....
  3. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Why are you calling it the New TAT? I don't think anything in the East has changed in a long time.

Even if you can map the entire route with routes, it doesn't hurt to have the tracks also. I did both myself and generally used the routes, but if we had to detour for any reason, it was nice to have the tracks to visually see the TAT on the map so we didn't get too far off course, but at the same time be able to use a new route to get by our detour.

We had to detour in MS at least once that I remember, maybe twice. The levee's were a blast and no I don't think they were on the maps and I was using City Nav 2009.

Edit. Looks like you are talking about Oregon being re-mapped according to the "New" Tat. Yeah I've read its been in desperate need of being re-mapped due to how much things have changed around there. We've still got to continue on West from the AR/OK border.
  4. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bluelightning....

Yes, I overreacted and it isn't a new TAT, just that Sam is re-drawing the State of Oregon this June....

Should have said that the TAT is being updated for Oregon..sorry..! Maybe the powers to be can change the subject... "TAT being updated for Oregon soon"...
  5. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    No problem, I figured it out once I re-read everything! :thumb
  6. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the Zoomer 450 do tracks ?
  7. sonicapollo

sonicapollo Adventure Addict

Oddometer:
    Is it taboo to ask for Oregon GPS tracks since it is totally fubared atm. I have the maps. I would just like mapsource or a google earth file for a good route from where you cross into Oregon to the coast. :norton I'm planning a trip to TN-OK, but may keep going... haven't decided yet.
  8. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Nada, .....you can do all your tracking on Mapsource. The Zoomer does not have the same mapset as Mapsource. The Zoomer will turn them into routes, meaning it will find the next legitimate road route that is nearby and bypasses your drawn tracks. The Zoomer is not a "Tracking" GPS" it's only a route GPS where there are roads. I have drawn on Mapsource "tracks" across a Ranchers field...downoladed it into the Zoomer: aint' there, but Zoomer did route a big loop with many miles around the supposed track to the next road.

Get a 60scx; used 276c; 376c...with these units you can track to your hrearts content....
  9. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    You talking about the Zumo 450? I thought it could hold saved tracks and display them on the screen?

Also the mapset loaded in the Zumo and on your PC is up to you. You can load all kinds of mapsets into MapSource and pull up any one of them at any given time. I probably have 8+ mapsets loaded in my MapSource. If they don't match, yes it will recalc it when you send it to the GPS, but if they match, I don't think it will?

This site says it can? - http://www.expertgps.com/gps-receivers/Garmin-zumo-450.asp

If you weren't talking about the Garmin Zumo, just ignore everything I posted.
  10. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was speaking of the Zumo 450. Sure the Zumo can "create" saved tracks as it goes! "Drawing" your own "tracks with the track tool on Mapsource is also OK too. But transferring your "created" drawn tracks from Mapsource to the Zumo 450 is something else. The Zumo will convert it to a nearest route that is available in the Zumo Mapset. The Mapsource and the Zumo mapset(2010.1) are not the same thing.

This is what I posted some while ago trying to get info on pasting Sam's maps onto Mapsource then download to the Zumo.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11949230&postcount=154

Then the answers came from some who did it and found out the frailities of the Zumo..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398452&page=11

Read posts #155 and on...a good lesson
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Wow, that really sucks. :cry I guess I've been educated on the Zumo. What a simple concept that Garmin messed up on that GPS! :baldy: The X76/x78 definitely handle that very well which it looks like you already have found out from others.

You know, there are some pretty decent old GPS's out there that handle tracks pretty well and probably wouldn't break your pocket book too bad if you didn't mind running 2 GPS. Since you already have the Zumo, and I expect it has some pretty recent maps, you might as well use it, but a 2nd older GPS might aid you and using both of them, you might actually make your life easier.

One of them that might work is the Quest or Quest2. (The Quest 2 comes preloaded with the US). If you got the Quest 1, you could just load some older software like Roads & Recrecation or Metroquide which doesn't require unlock codes and probably have the majority of the old TAT roads on them. You have your Zumo for modern maps. I know some buddies have them. They don't handle saved tracks but they do have a 10,000 pt active track log that I think you could upload 1 large track too. Using your zumo for modern roads, you could use the other GPS to folllow the track you upload. (you just might want to verify that with someone first). The other thing the Quest has the ability to do is store 50 routes with 250 viapoints each. Since it doesn't force you to recalc routes or turn tracks into routes, you could draw a "direct" route on MapSource and divide it into 250 pts each. 50 routes of 250 pts each gives you 12,500 total points that can be plotted in one session. Being that its a direct route, you won't be forced to follow roads and you can lay the route where ever you want.

Just some suggestions without breaking the bank. There might be other older GPS's out there people can suggest also that might handle saved tracks better.
  12. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Ah, there is a little problem with having so many routes of so many points.

The 276,378,478 series allows 3000 named waypoints.

The 60,76 and similar units allow 1000 named waypoints.

There is also a limit on the total of waypoints and vias.... Garmin doesn't publish this number, but it is way less that 12,500..... somewhere around 4000 vias on the 60/76 series.

All that said, you can (because I've done it) create one route per day of the TAT with each route 250 points or less (they must be 'direct' routes - also called 'point to point' or 'off road') and have it all fit OK (at least in my 276c).

There are 23 days of riding the TAT, so there are 23 routes needed.... about 2300 waypoints if you make a waypoint for every corner and gas stop on Sam's route sheets.

If your GPS won't handle this many waypoints, use more vias in place of the waypoints.

Personally, I like that many waypoints (using the milage as the waypoint name) as it gives me an idea of where I'm at in the day, and how far to the next gas.

On the gas waypoints, I also note the distance to the next gas as part of the waypoint name.... ie - G OR1 124.... Gas Oregon#1 124 miles to next gas.

Keep in mind waypoint names can only be so long.... I think 13 characters, but it could be 11. The GPS truncates it when you load it.
  13. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Ugh, you are right, I forgot about some of those limits too. :baldy I've ran into the limit on Via pts before on my 376 unit. It was messing with me, because I still had room for more waypoints. But that seems weird that if it says the Quest will hold 50 routes and up to 250 pts in each route, why would you hit that limit? I guess someone with a Quest would have to verify for sure.

If you are going to use a GPS that doesn't have a superb track log capability and/or you plan on using routes, you are pretty much forced to take a laptop with you and upload new routes every couple days. Its still feasible what I suggested, but you are right that there is a possibility of hitting that hard level of waypoints
  14. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    You have to be careful how you read limit descriptions.

It says you can have up to 50 routes - true.

It says a route can have up to 250 points - true.

It does NOT say that you can have 50 routes of 250 points each.

Remember - waypoints and vias are held in internal memory and there is only so much internal memory - which is also expensive so they don't add any more than they feel they need.

Somewhere around here I started a spreadsheet listing the actual number of waypoints/vias/routes/track length allowed for various Garmin GPS units. Gave up working on it as it is so hard determine the via point limits - especially since I was overseas with no GPS handy to work with. Dr Rock did a thread about this and talked about the procedure to determine the number of vias allowed.

You're right in that it's handy to carry a laptop to reload.... but it needs to be a pretty big trip to require it. I carried a netbook with a solid state hard drive - 16gb - on my trip last year.... first load was MI to NJ, TNJT, connector, TWVT, connector. Second load was TAT. Third load was OR to WA to MT. Fourth load was CDR and connector. Fifth load was SOR. Last load was route back to MI. The biggest section was TAT and my 276c handled it just fine.
  15. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    The first 50 miles in TN (on the TAT) is fun
    The last 50 or so miles is fun too

everything in the middle fucking sux! All paved :puke2
  16. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Soo...if i have a zumo 450 and I just enter in a waypoint will the compass indicate a heading and point to the way point or will the gps automatically calculate a route?
  17. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    The simplest workaround with the Zumo is to convert the tracks (or routes) to a transparent overlay map that's uploadable to the GPS. It then displays the "tracks" as roads over the current map (e.g. Topo, City Navigator, etc).

I started a thread on this topic a while back in the Zumo Forum. Check it out here.
  18. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I am sure that is not an exaggeration if you are TT, he said it, I'm sure he meant it.

I personally enjoyed TN. I would not have missed lunch in Bell Buckle for nothing(smack dab in the center). Yes, there is a rather large amount of pavement. I thought of it as a shake down, a shake down for what will be a LONG trip.

Sam does make note of this in the documents. Many of the ride reports do make mention of it, but that soon pales as you head West. The TAT is not a "trials" course, it is an "adventure" ride.
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    +1. There's a fair amount of pavement in TN, but its still an adventure and I think the most crashes we had occurred in TN. Those slick water crossings are no joke! :rofl

Go and enjoy it and keep an open mind, you won't be sorry.
  20. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    As I understand Sam will travel to Oregon and redo his maps, so you can inquire Sam whether he'd give you his updated Oregon map(free or fee??) if you ride after June assuming you have of course purchased his entire Map system. We are not asking for someone to expose the "new" GPS tracks of Oregon here.

However someone did post and correct here the new routing atop Sams "old" maps of the difficult section of Oregon to Port Orford. Cannot find where the post was in ADVrider, but you would still have to use Sams old maps and re-route/draw/calculate and find the 'new" roads yourself so there is no breaching of Sam's holy grail!