The North Road, Quebec

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GSaar, May 17, 2004.

1. GSaar

GSaar Representing Deutschland

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to eastern Canada the first week of June. I considered riding up to James Bay and when coming south James Bay Road to take Route du Nord to Chicoutimi.

Have any of you ridden the Route du Nord? I read here about the gas stops, etc.. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any tips are appreciated!
  2. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    I hope you're not going alone.

I've never been up there specifically, but northern QC in the summer is dusty, buggy, and if it rains, it can be violent.

There's a group going later on. Maybe you can glean a little more info here.
  3. GSaar

Oddometer:
    I actually did plan to go alone. That may be stupidity or ignorance on my part :D . As a German it's difficult to judge the distances and remoteness, but I'm open to advise from locals. The 109 up to Radisson is all paved and shouldn't be a problem. The North Road is all gravel and may be just to dangerous to ride alone.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. :thumb
  4. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    I was also thinking about going up to James Bay in June.
    My route would be up to Norh Bay Ontario, then into Quebec and straight north.
    When were you going?
  5. GSaar

Oddometer:
    I'll leave on the 29th of May and have until the 6th of June. Wife and kids are away during that time, which gives me the opportunity to play :D .

From the NY area I'd ride pretty much straight north through/around Montreal to the beginning of James Bay Road in Matagami and then take James Bay Road to Radisson.

I have the standard GS, so I'll need to take some extra gas for the 381km stretch to the gas station.