1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The NW adventure trail loop

Discussion in 'Americas' started by eakins, Feb 9, 2011.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    as our Washington Backcountry Discovery Route map is just about to be shipped http://www.wabdr.com/ http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/ i've been thinking about the TAT and CDR and how a nice N.W. adv route loop could be had.

basicly it looks like this
    -Start in colorado/northern n.m. and ride the TAT http://www.transamtrail.com/ west to oregon.
    -ride north http://www.oohva.org/Back Country/BCDRmain.html and pick up WABDR http://www.wabdr.com/ to the canadian border
    -ride east (see .gpx links below) to the northern teminus of the TAT http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2...0&tier=3&nid=B3F3AA11B3314B538127448E5D45EFD5 and ride south back to where you started in colorado.

of course there are some pieces from the western end of the TAT up to the start of the WABDR and then then again on to the northern end start of the CDR, but this is not a big deal and someone eventually will create those pieces (Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route - OBDR & Northern Washington, Idaho & Montana Backcountry Discovery Route - NWIMBDR). maybe the oregon section up north could just be enjoy costal riding time & the beach.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in central Oregon and am just beginning to plan a WABDR S to N, then across the top of WA or southern BC to connect with the Tour of Idaho at Upper Priest Lake. I'll take the TID as far as Challis then work on an off slab route to Cascade then Weiser ID. From Weiser I make my way back across the central part of OR, possibly using some of the OBCDR route.

Thinking two weeks in late August/early Sept.

Tim
  3. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Thinking of a similar trip in reverse, involving lots of Idaho backcountry traveling North (MacGruder, Lolo, Panther Cr) and then doing the WABDR N to S somehow. Also 2-3 weeks in August. I'd hightail it to ID from CO (covered lots of that country in between before) at the beginning & then hightail it home from OR after. There's also a Horizon's UnlimitedTravelers meeting in Nakusp, BC in that timeframe, that's also on my radar.
  4. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is already just such a loop.

Last summer I built a 'Northern Route' to connect the northern end of the Pacific Crest Quest to the northern end of the CDR.

It's posted over in GPSXchange.com

So, you could go from San Diego, CA to Mazama, WA to Eureka, MT to Salida, CO then back over to Port Orford, OR.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    cool! got a link?
    just a conceptual thing that popped in my head.

there is an oregon backcountry discovery route as well
    http://www.oohva.org/Back Country/BCDRmain.html
    our wabdr map show the very top of it (sec 4)
    at one point it's gonna get redone w/ us making the map.
  6. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NorthernTraveler: How does that "Northern Route" break down as far as:

% Paved
    % Gravel/Dirt
    % Two Track
    % Single Track

I'm looking for something more challenging that just wide gravel, but less challenging that single track with steep drop offs.

Is the route you show dooable by:

Loaded V-Strom/GS
    Loaded KLR
    Lighter loaded smaller bikes

And I'm assuming, since you have both a route and a track that you've ridden it. Is there a Ride Report somewhere?

Thanks
  7. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Sorry, there is no ride report.

It's intended for mid sized bikes - Loaded KLR type, bigger can make it if decent rider.

There are several places where it's two track, there is no single track, mostly gravel county and forest service roads, a little paved to get through areas.

I rode it on a loaded DR650SE while on the way back from Alaska.

I'm a pretty good rider - former enduro rider who tried out for the 6 day team (didn't make it - darn!).

There were some places that were harder, but I eliminated them for various reasons.

What I was shooting for was an interesting, challenging and scenic route, something that would be suitable for a long ride - which means you can't beat the riders up too much.

It's all of the above.... the big bikes with a good rider can do it, mid sized bikes will be optimum, and the small bikes will generally find it too easy.

That said, there are sections that are better than others...

More scenic - first 50-75 miles of the western end in WA, last 75 miles of WA, most of MT. I was disappointed with what was available in ID - the Forest Service had closed some key routes I wanted to use.

More difficult - some central WA, last 75 of WA, first 25 of ID, last 25 of ID, middle 75 of MT.

It's all good... and a nice variety of stuff.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I've been working on a California Cutoff for the Californios that see the ocean all the time and don't want to ride gravel through Oregon just to see the same old ocean. I've got it down pretty good into Susanville, there is one section of very difficult rocks that I should go back and bypass since it's over the skill level of most...brutal for about 12 miles.

I did my cutoff headed north a couple of years ago, OBDR to the Lolo and on to the Divide..dropped in at Sealy Lake, south down to NM then came back up close to OK and grabbed the TAT back west.
  9. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    Good job of putting this together. I live in Ellensburg and have been traveling much of this route for years, but have been too lazy to put it together. I have always referred to this route as my escape route.

This should be very helpful for many others who pass by this way.

Again, well done.:clap

Mkd

PS with regard to linking routes don't forget about the OBDR
  10. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We'll see if this works. This is a route I'm thinking about to connect the WABDR to the Tour of Idaho:

<small>View Larger Map</small>"><iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Oroville,+WA&daddr=48.9799539,-119.2008147+to:Northport,+WA+to:48.84905,-117.61298+to:Metaline+Falls,+WA+to:Gold+Creek+Rd%2FNat+for+Dev+Rd+1013&hl=en&geocode=FSvA6gIdm47h-CmHV_9YPc6CVDE5vvV3C5YkYw%3BFfFf6wId0iPl-CnfJ8c6_rWCVDGnD13yhfoDdg%3BFTZm6gIdbsv6-Cn9Kn1Q3OliUzEZclQwEHlkWQ%3BFZpg6QIdTF79-CnfgWIRY-9iUzHJRa4xjisGhw%3BFUGa6QIdzQkB-SkZTkLKtOJiUzEWeXfoXxjpeQ%3BFZxB6QIdzHAH-Q&gl=us&mra=ls&via=1,3&dirflg=w&sll=48.81489,-116.913757&sspn=0.079692,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=48.88417,-118.193235&spn=0.22666,2.48447&output=embed" width="425" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    nice!

13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    where is the gpxexchange link? i was looking for the .gpx.
    thnx.

14. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    The Northern Route is at -

www.GpsXchange.com

listed under 'West - North America'

listed as 'The Northern Route - PCQ (Mazama WA) to CDR (Eureka MT)'
  15. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    here's a mostly dirt connector I put together from wbdr to obdr rt3. Connecting wbdr to obdr rt5 has too much highway and pavement IMHO.

post is here
  16. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    As you may well know, obdr rt3 conviently runs right into the TAT around cresent.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  18. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    here's another thread on variation to a NW loop based on connectors from madchap and myself.
  19. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    keeping this alive and there will be more BDR routes to fill in alternative legs. COBDR happens this summer w/ AZ after that.