The Official D2D '08

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have a Milepost? If not, buy one. It's "the bible of the North". You can get 'em at amazon.com, etc. Mile by mile stuff...gas, food, camping, hotels, attractions...good stuff.
  2. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Yes I have one. It talks about some system of gov't campsites where you deposit money or something. I wanted clarification thats all.

3. Phish

Phish Fishbone

Oddometer:
    Fairly easy, they have boxes with envelopes. Just find a spot, note the spot number on the envelope, drop your envelope with the bucks in the box and and your are good to go. Canadian camp grounds are generally kept very clean.

Alabama huh ? great, maybe you will win the longest ride award. Last year it was won by Jacquie from florida.

Be careful on the toe certificate, some say that it is not really a toe but another body part. Lorena Bobbitt type stuff, so the legend goes.
  4. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Yup...so make sure you exchange some US bucks for the Canuckistan money.
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just one more reminder that this year you will need a US Passport to enter Canada. It takes about 8 weeks or more to process. A google search will get you all the information you will need.

See ya all in Dawson.

Now that Tom and Gary are in....let the games begin.
  6. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Don't you mean you will need a US Passport to enter the US from Canada?
  7. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Not yet. They changed that to "at a yet to be determined later date" unless you're flying or boating in or out of Canada. So if you're taking an AK Marine Highway ferry into or out of Prince Rupert, you may need a passport. But those traveling by road are still able to get thru with a valid form of ID. Now be forewarned, if you have any convictions including a DUI you may not be let into Canada! :deal
    Lots of good info: http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/planning/border/border.htm
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Cool. Looking at your website http://apehangers.org/ it looks like you've already been up here a couple times.

I like to remind travelers that generally speaking the frequent gravel pits along side the highway are good for free camping as well.

Have fun, Mark H.
  9. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    New Year's Update

Da List
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep in mind that the assigned numbers don't mean squat ...... other than to give the D2D'08 CounterSteering Committee a rough idea of how many to expect. We wouldn't want this thing to get out of hand.
    Carry On! Fite

Here you go kids...keep 'em coming.
    D2D'08 Scheduled to appear and definitely exempt from the "I am the world's best procrastinator" award!

#1 SpicyMac
    #2 GusGus
    #3 MaGus
    #4 FriarMike
    #5 Penguin
    #6 SeeDoubleYou
    #7 Exurban
    #8 KodiakFrank
    #9 KlrDave
    #10 Vagabond
    #11 Akhf
    #12 Pastieman
    #13 Fugawi
    #14 SubyBaja
    #15 HackyMoto
    #16 MotoMamma
    #17 Twotouringtheworld
    #18 Twotouringtheworld (Kim)
    #19 AKTroy
    #20 AKGail
    #21 AKtraveler
    #22 AKSkyhawk
    #23 Clearcut
    #24 Barb
    #25 Vic?
    #26 Bones GSXR
    #27 Legion
    #28 LadyPamela
    #29 MooseKiller
    #30 akflrun
    #31 Squonker
    #32 alaskaOE
    #33 bigfoot105
    #34 Arcticflyer
    #35 SonofAF1
    #36 SonofAF2
    #37 KL5A
    #38 Helikron
    #39 Beth
    #40 Cubdriver
    #41 CubdriverSO
    #42 Sask_pirate
    #43 Treadless
    #44 AKDuc
    #45 TKE
    #46 GS Girl
    #47 RAM
    #48 Ak greeff
    #49 nugentch
    #50 PhotonRyder
    #51 ThumperBee
    #52 BillWatt
    #53 "Missus" Susan
    #54 "Wingman" Marc
    #55 effenewgie
    #56 Tom
    #57 Gary
    #58 rad dad
    #59 rad daughter
  10. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You posted this once before elsewhere and sorry, I'm from the east. You mean just stop at the side of a wide spot in the road, pitch your tent, go to sleep and not get run over, eaten by bears, robbed or killed? On a lot of roads this way, you aren't even allowed to stop unless your car breaks down, much less go to bed with an expectation of waking up in the morning.
  11. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    That is correct......keep your food and toothpaste completely locked up and away from your camping area.....using some common sense about your location, you will notice this is a regular occurence.....but, with a bike, it is not hard to ride slightly off road and gain some privacy...you might have some curious critters, but ....for the most part....no problems....
  12. Bearhugger

Bearhugger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In like flint. I'll have to see how many Islanders I can scrounge up for this event.
  13. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The answer you sound like you are asking for is, what are the gravel pits? They are are not usually small, not usually "next to the road" although very close. Usually down a small road within 100 feet of the road. They can be seen through the tree "usually" meaning there are some exceptions. It is a learned spotting technique. You will understand when arrival in this area known as the frozen north. Gravel pits are plentiful.

The bear issue.
    The most positive thing I can say is keep smells down, keep food stuff away from your tent at night. The bears and wolves can smell it further than you might believe. I like to bring a small (parachute cord and a mesh bag) set up for hoisting my foods up in a tree. There is another great method as well MRE's Meals ready to eat, are military sealed meals. Not bad, and enough nourishment to make it through the day, plus no odors.
    their downfall is they are heavy.

Personal safety from humans should never be an issue. This place is safe. The reality to our land (Alaska) is that armed is normal and usual, people are polite and kind. (exceptions of course exist) Animals are the largest threat, even the police are not aggressive.

Have fun and welcome to Alaska!
  14. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    I know the drill wrt sleeping in bear country (i.e. hanging food and such up away from the campsite). I was concerned about the other type, the smokey bear type (i.e. the RCMP type). Different states in the US have different rules. Some don't care if you camp at rest stops on the interstate, some get their panties in a wad if you do.

Thanks for the information.:super
  15. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm only bringing a tent and sleeping bag. I'll eat on the road. I just hope crusty old ADV'ers can't smell good scotch as well as bears.
  16. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:

Not sure what to say there. LOL
  17. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Alaska honors my CCW. The folks in my state are also armed and polite. However the D2D is in Yukon Territory, Canada where armed Americans are verboten. It costs $50 to apply to get permission from the Canadian gov't to carry your pistol inside a locked container with a trigger lock installed inside your locked saddlebag. And that permission, if granted, is only good for 60 days. :baldy
  18. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Man don't get that ONE cranked up here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the Canadains will come on here and tell you NO not going to happen. Check the old threads.
  19. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Another....................
    [​IMG]
  20. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Gusgus I knew you were out there.:lol3