The Official D2D '08

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Sneaky,,,HUH?
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Bearhugger... IN!
    Nice to see we have representation from the Island.
    Question... any idea if Roger Rubin is still hanging around PAlberni?
    Rog used to have a shop (Motospecial) in Cockrane, AB.
    Fite

Da List
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep in mind that the assigned numbers don't mean squat ...... other than to give the D2D'08 CounterSteering Committee a rough idea of how many to expect. We wouldn't want this thing to get out of hand.
    Carry On! Fite

Here you go kids...keep 'em coming.
    D2D'08 Scheduled to appear and definitely exempt from the "I am the world's best procrastinator" award!

#1 SpicyMac
    #2 GusGus
    #3 MaGus
    #4 FriarMike
    #5 Penguin
    #6 SeeDoubleYou
    #7 Exurban
    #8 KodiakFrank
    #9 KlrDave
    #10 Vagabond
    #11 Akhf
    #12 Pastieman
    #13 Fugawi
    #14 SubyBaja
    #15 HackyMoto
    #16 MotoMamma
    #17 Twotouringtheworld
    #18 Twotouringtheworld (Kim)
    #19 AKTroy
    #20 AKGail
    #21 AKtraveler
    #22 AKSkyhawk
    #23 Clearcut
    #24 Barb
    #25 Vic?
    #26 Bones GSXR
    #27 Legion
    #28 LadyPamela
    #29 MooseKiller
    #30 akflrun
    #31 Squonker
    #32 alaskaOE
    #33 bigfoot105
    #34 Arcticflyer
    #35 SonofAF1
    #36 SonofAF2
    #37 KL5A
    #38 Helikron
    #39 Beth
    #40 Cubdriver
    #41 CubdriverSO
    #42 Sask_pirate
    #43 Treadless
    #44 AKDuc
    #45 TKE
    #46 GS Girl
    #47 RAM
    #48 Ak greeff
    #49 nugentch
    #50 PhotonRyder
    #51 ThumperBee
    #52 BillWatt
    #53 "Missus" Susan
    #54 "Wingman" Marc
    #55 effenewgie
    #56 Tom
    #57 Gary
    #58 rad dad
    #59 rad daughter
    #60 Bearhugger
  3. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    That's a pretty agressive run to complete in 5 days.:deal

Not to sound like a dick but you do know it's Dawson CITY, not Dawson Creek?:ear
  4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    It has happened before!

Just sayin!
  5. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Truedat!

I have seen other folks get the two towns mixed-up before.

Then again they were Coasties... Purdy good at navigation on the water, on the land, not so much .:deal :lol3
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    and one wifey of a Hammy! Drivin a Chevy!
  7. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Kitten? I almost forgot about that epic adventure!:lol3

:freaky
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, or a wanker, if MK is asked...

love ya man!
  9. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Right back atcha!:freaky
  10. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    I made Anchorage, AK in 5 days back in '04.:ricky None of the days were much more than 800 miles (1,000 km). Hell I thought I was being a wimp riding such sort days.

Yes I know the D in D2D is the Dawson in YT where the Sourtoe Cocktails are served and not the Dawson Creek in BC were the Alaska Highway starts.:thumb

Thanks. I can understand why you would think I was a dick since I don't ride 1,000 mile days.
    [​IMG]
  11. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Please don't misunderstand me, I was just concerned that perhaps you had made a common geographical error. I meant no disrespect.:deal
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I have got to ask.......
    where in the world did you find the one wheel airport baggage cart and you sir are one hell of a man pushing it all the way to Alaska...:thumb :rofl
  13. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fighter, how do you know Roger? I bought a "Last Edition" R100RS from him in 1982. Once his shop closed, no one around here knew what happened to him. Damn, I wish I had never sold that bike!
    And Gus, I guess your experience with airports would help you recognize a cart, EH! Also--got your phone message, hope you and family had a great Xmas and all the best this year!!!

Regards,
    Doug
  14. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

1987... heading south out of Alaska and I was near McBride when I happened to run onto an RS traveling the same direction. I was on a pearl 60th Anniversary RT (1983). The fellow on the RS mentioned that my rear tire (which was only 4 days old) was looking pretty slim. He said "no worries" I'm heading down to my dealer out of Cockrane. He introduced me to Roger and they convinced me to wander out to the National in Escanaba, Michigan. I camped with Roger's people and made many great friends.
    In later years I planned my rides out of Alaska to include a stop at the Lunatic Fringe Rally. I would run into Roger every now and then. The last time I saw him was at Spokane and that's how I knew he was in Port Alberni. Rumor has it he may have headed into the US.
  15. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Fighter, I always wondered what happened to him. I always thought he had the best BMW shop in Alberta. Motospezial was always a great place to visit. Hopefully someone else here can jump in and update us on his location as he would never be without a bike.

Pencil me in for the 2009 D2D as I want this summer to complete and test my 625SMCAT.

Regards,
    Doug

Also---if your tire was done in 4 days----------would you care to share with us your average rate of speed over those days? (The statute of limitations for speeding is now expired for 1987!! at least in Canada))
  16. grae313

grae313 Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    I was planning a trip to AK this summer, just found out about this. I think I'll have to change my plans! :deal
    Put me and my friend Dan on the list. I'm coming from CA and this will be my first motorcycle trip lasting more than 1 day. Am I crazy? Looking forward to meeting some of YFFs!
  17. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    +1 on what KodiakFrank was sayin'... No disrespect was intended. I just had this conversation with a guy at work yesterday. Took me 5 minutes of trying to explain it, and finally I had to break out Google Maps and point the difference out to him. KodiakFrank just wanted to make sure you showed up for the party! :freaky

Now where's the wimmin folks at? :evil
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love it. It looks like that Clampets do the Alcan. You are my idol.
    See ya in Dawson.
  19. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Its the Joads do the Alaska Highway, not the Clampetts.:uhoh

I also velcrow a cheap nylon holster to the handlebars. That leaves enough doubt in potential ne'er do wells that they give me a wide birth...:clap

[​IMG]
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Doug...

I agree re: Motospeziel being a great shop. Roger was a guru when it came to building airheads and he turned out some very fast RS's. Thinking back about my chance meeting with the fellow in McBride.... what drew my attention to his bike was that it was an RS, but it was colored Magenta. I knew that US designated RT's came in that color, but I had never seen an RS done up that way. Turns out that the owner (Bill, from Prince George) had orinally started out with a Magenta RT and due to a little lack of adhesion situation earlier that season, he needed certain body panels replaced. Roger was able to find Euro RS OEM Magenta panels that resulted in the conversion. It was a neat bike.

One of Roger's other projects was a K75 Turbo that he had just started when I first met him. Gotta love builders who think outside the box.

4 days on a new tire????
    I was in a bit of a hurry.
    Fact is Roger had me back on the road with a new meat in record time.
    I left his shop at closing time and spent the night in Great Falls, Montana.

A couple of years later Roger replaced the diode board on that same pearl bike. Between the two of us we decided that the board was getting too hot and took note that the lower front panel of the '83 RT was solid. Earlier/later models were open and used louvers. Out came the drill and holesaw and I spent the day at Motospeziel installing "cheese holes" in that lower panel. I left the pattern with Roger and didn't think anymore about it. Never had an overheated diode board problem again.

Several years later I ran into a RS rider near the Grand Canyon and noticed he had done the same treatment to his front panel. Couldn't help but notice the similarity to what I had done. Sure enough he had worked for Roger at Motospeziel and had used my original template. That is how I met Doug Wentzell. Doug is the mobil mechanic that works out of his very trick/complete trailer at many of the BMW rallys. Small world.
    Stay in touch. Fite