The official did you get sick in Baja poll

Discussion in 'Americas' started by fletcherguitar, Oct 26, 2019.

?

Ever get sick in Baja?

1. Yes, and I have the jockeys to prove it

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No, my shorts and my mind are pure

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. That's a little too personal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fletcherguitar

fletcherguitar Marilyn Across America

Oddometer:
    Im considering a long winter tour of Baja.

Memories of Montezuma's revenge for 25 years ago while visiting Mexico, still haunt.

How many of you guys got sick in Baja?

Yea, I know, drink bottled water, but is that enough precaution.

Im assumimg not more than 10 percent or so of you guys got sick, or no one would ride there.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you scroll down on your initial post in a thread, you can actually make it into a poll which will then total votes at the top.

I've spent hundreds of days in Baja and never been sick. I got sick once in Guadalajara 40 years ago and haven't been sick in Mexico since then.
    fletcherguitar likes this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    'nother survey ?

NO I did not get sick in Baja , haven't ever gotten sick in Baja .
    I have the protection of DUKORAL , anti-diarrhoeal oral vaccine .

Drinking bottled water is a good idea, same as drinking bottled soda ,bottled fruit juice and bottled milk .

T his Mexican poster advice is your best precaution when travelling , and the WASHING extends to washing YOUR HANDS BEFORE EATING ,
    and DO NOT LICK YOUR FINGERS .
    Wash your hands with soap and water everytime after using the toilet , that way you will not be smearing YOUR germs onto door handles and everything else you touch . If you didnt't wash your hands then lick your fingers at your own peril :loco
    A lot of the cases of "getting sick" are the result of sloppy hygiene, be it on the side of the serving party or of the consuming party .

100_5803.JPG
    Hill Climber and fletcherguitar like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unlike Sjoerd I do not believe in taking drugs for a problem that may not exist, ( to each his own). Only been sick once in Mexico and it was my own fault as I ate raw oysters on the beach in Veracruz. I now do not recommend you do this.
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Been sick a thousand times in the USA----------------never sick in Baja.
    Well.........felt kinda sick when I realized my ride was over and I had to go home :lol3
    As Jonz said........a poll would be better.
    Me and Jonz been down there a lot.
    Sorry Jonz-------never did thank you for letting me park at your house. I owe you .45 cents for electricity :rofl
    BigDog
    jonz and fletcherguitar like this.
  6. fletcherguitar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the poll idea. Didnt lnow that was possible. Should be some interesting intestinal results.
    Cal likes this.
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    It really don't matter what the poll says-----it just ain't a problem.
    The same as in the states---------no difference.
    A million people could say (and did) get sick down there.
    Don't mean squat---------same as the states.
  8. fletcherguitar

Oddometer:

Glad to hear that. Cause Sam and I would really like to spend a month working our way all the way south. Looks like a great way to spend part of the winter.
  9. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t get sick at all in Mexico after 7 weeks and a lot of roadside food, Stef got sick in Cabo at a brand new trendy Taco joint and was out of action for 24 hours and was the only time she got sick on our entire trip.
  10. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never had a "stomach virus" in the states. Been to Baja about 20X. I eat street food all the time. I start being pretty careful and over the course of a few days, I slowly start to not be so careful. It has always worked for me but......
    2 years ago, in San Jose del Cabo while staying in a nice hotel after being in Baja for 7 days at the end of the Mexican 1000, I got hit. 2 other guys on the crew got hit. I think it was Norovirus and had nothing to do with what we ate. The worst part was I had to miss the post race party.
  11. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got sick in Laredo once.
    knight and fletcherguitar like this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    """I do not believe in taking drugs for a problem that may not exist, "" sez Cal .

You are free to " believe " whatever you wish .
    The anti-vaxxers are also working from their position of "belief " , then cry for pity and expensive medical help when things go dreadfully wrong after their beliefs were proven to be false hopes based on misinformation or ignorance .
    One could also refuse to buy health insurance or auto insurance on the belief that there is no risk because one has never been seriously ill or one is a safe driver with no recorded accidents .

However - point one : I would not classify DUKORAL as a " drug ". It is a vaccine containing killed bacteria of the e-coli strains which are most commonly the cause of cholera and travelers diarrhea. The vaccine prompts the human body to produce its own anti-bodies to ward off a future infection, should such occur .
    -point two : the problem does indeed exist , the bacteria which cause these ailments are out there and there are ample opportunities for becoming infected with them when traveling and perhaps eating foods which have not been properly prepared or stored and if one lets down one's guard about exercising proper hygiene .

I guess for US residents the question is moot because Dukoral is not sold there .

The standard advice still applies - Cook it, peel it or forget it , and WASH your hands before eating anything .
  13. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've definitely gotten sick in Baja. Cold, flu stomach distress. But probably at a lesser rate than when I lived in Calif.

As for restaurants, it is generally not good business practice to make your customers sick. Salads, fruits, vegetables, etc I generally don't worry about it. Sanitation and food prep knowledge along with readily available purified drinking water has come a long way in 25 years, especially in tourist areas. Use common sense and have a good time. Bring some imodium along for just in case. Get a script for a broad spectrum antibiotic and carry that if you're really worried.

And practice good personal sanitation.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder why? Do they have another higher priced product ?
  15. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    No, the studies done here indicate that due to the limited number of strains that the vaccine covers, the odds of it working for you are very small. This, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

I'd give it shot (heehee) if I could, though. I've tried to figure out a way to get it from Canada but no internet company will send it here and the rigamarole necessary for me to go there to get it.....well, I've just never done it.

I've had some serious intestinal tract issues twice, once in Tajikistan and once in Mexico. I completely agree with Sjoerd's statement:

I'm careful about all these things, but sometimes life gets in your way and you make a poor decision. For instance, when you buy a bottle of water from the roadside stand (Tajikistan), and watch them pull it out, nice and cold, from the little irrigation canal running behind the stand. Then, with that canal water all over the bottle, they take the cap off and hand it to you. Drink or not? I did, I was hot and thirsty. Big mistake.

In Mexico, it was fruit from a fancy restaurant. Should have a clean kitchen, right? Probably does, but they must have had 15 or 20 people working in that kitchen, preparing dinners for a lot of people. Will 100% of the kitchen workers be thinking primarily about the health of their tourist customers or are they just trying to keep up with the orders? I worked in restaurant kitchens for 5 years when I got out of high school. I can tell you, the kitchen staff is going to cut corners to keep up with the orders.

In many ways the street stands are safer places to eat because you can watch for a little while to see how the food is being handled and it is served to you right from the grill. When I see a stand where the cook is wearing plastic gloves and he has provided a big bottle of Alcohol gel right there for his customers to clean their hands with, I go no farther- stop and eat.

....................shu
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd, please tell us more? Did you get the Mexican shits previous to vaccination for E.coli? :fpalm

I've got the question after googling the stuff, why it's sold above not below the border? Maybe the FDA maybe doesn't like it? I also wonder how much real protection it offers beyond cholera as there are many parasites, viruses, bacteria that can give us diarrhea thus a narrow protection it seems.
    I got a mild flu bout in Mexico, hardly poll worthy and I do get the "senior flu shot".
    I eat street food in Mexico but it's a basic fact that the temperatures of many food places do not meet standards that keep us safe.
    It does not all come right off a grill. In the USA people do the same stupid stuff (food handling) on picnics and at home with foods, especially at the holidays when food's left on a table for later comebacks-not very smart!
    We don't need a silly ADV poll to learn that Mexicans do know how not to die from food poisoning? :rofl
    Baja vs. mainland Mexico food safety wise-is that a logical question anyway?
    I like oysters but took a pass along the gulf coast when I saw oysters sitting in #10 cans in "some kind of water"? in the sun to boot, nope to those.
  17. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a lifelong Baja guy so, yeah, I’ve had my share of stomach issues.

I haven’t become real sick in a while, but my buddy had diarrhea so bad recently that he went to a clinic and had an IV.

I absolutely love the smaller taco places so I just deal with it. Try to be smart about where and what you eat, but..

Bring Imodium, drink bottled water, eat at places where a lot of people are eating...and have an extra pair of skivvies handy.
    princess jamaica likes this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    HoooooooBoy -Have I EVER had the shits in Mexico ,more than several times and I have no need to ever experience that again .

First time was on the very first trip into Mexico , about day three , after drinking some tasty lemonade from a street vendor .It was the type of vendedor ambulante which is rarely seen nowadays , a wheelbarrow with several big barrel -shaped glass wide-mouth jugs of the different flavour lemonades which was ladled into a GLASS beaker for consumption and beakers probably were not properly washed .If there was any ice in those jugs it was long melted away and possibly made of non-sterile water anyway . Besides having to run for the bushes at El Abra (Mex 85, south of Cd Mante )it was a general feeling of lousy , with chills , sweats and barfing and running for the bushes lasting another four days or so .
    I got over it fairly quickly but I know of others who were fighting with it weeks afterwards.
    I had several other episodes , one in El Salvador which was ended by taking a pill sold at a mercado quasi -pharmacy , a very risky proposition , not knowing what exactly that chemical was .*
    For some years after I did rely on the tablets containing loperamide hydrochloride , aka brand name Imodium for treatment of cases of the "turista ".
    At least that was a sort of known commodity and FDA approved , but it still meant I was sick and feeling shitty until the loperamide HCl took effect . Pepto Bismol was also tried but found to be totally useless for anything other than producing black excrement ( the bismuth in it ) .And the fake cherry flavour was about enough to make me puke again .

All these post -poopsum pills are attempts at cures, remedies when one is already sick , you are still going to have nausea,vomiting ,general misery and severe bowel distress, dirty underwear and possibly dirty socks and boots - and you will feel and smell like crap for days . :rofl

Then about 14 years ago I discovered DUKORAL and began taking that ORAL VACCINE and I have never had the trots again. Yes I can still get sick from other bacteria but even that seems to be mitigated by DUKORAL . For instance on one ride I had supper in Alvarado and decided to go for a pollo rostizado at a restaurant downtown . About 3 am I awoke with a sudden feeling that I needed to barf . The whole chicken was born again straight into the toilet and I went back to sleep , Awoke next morning feeling completely well and had coffee and a sandwich at OXXO .
    Later while visiting inmate J Luis Vasquez who is a retired medical doctor (and an inmate here on adv) and I related this story and the good doctor offered the following explanation :
    the chicken restaurant could possibly have been serving chicken that had been left over from the early part of the day , perhaps even from the day before , and the bacillus had had a lot of time to replicate . I dumped the contents of my stomach as a wholesale defense . Whatever it was that caused this rejection , it did not have any side effect .
    I directly credit the DUKORAL with preventing a wholescale illness , as the leaflet that comes with the vaccine suggested - infections with a similar bacteria will have less severe outcomes .DUKORAL makes no claim of working against any virus .
    DUKORAL is an ORAL vaccine, you take it as a drink ; , it is not a needle injection . DUKORAL is a prophylactic medicine - it stops an event from occurring, or more accurately it gives your own body the ability to fight the invading bad bacteria .
    You will not be feeling like a tank rolled over you and then decide to put padding on the tank tracks .

The suggestion to carry a prescription for a " broad spectrum antibiotic" again is not a PREVENTATIVE measure .it is another way to try to cure the problem
    But what is that "broad spectrum antibiotic "? And what is it doing with respect to worsening of the anti-biotic resistance problem ?

I hope that it is not the medicine known as " cipro " which Tricepilot et al have earlier warned against because of its possible dangerous ,debilitating and deadly side effects . *
    (https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-dark-side-antibiotic-ciprofloxacin.html)

And I will never eat oysters of any persuasion- raw or cooked -- filter feeding bottom dwellers who take all the garbage out of the water that other fish poop in there ,.leave them for the otters and walruses :lol3
    Fast1 and fletcherguitar like this.
  19. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a weensy clarification here: E. coli does not cause cholera; that is a whole different organism (Vibrio spp.). But, the Dukoral is a vaccine for both cholera and ETEC strains of E. coli. Interesting stuff. Unfortunately, we US residents can't get it.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that correction , you are correct , I was going from sort-of memory