The Official Garmin 62, 64 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan on using my route app and export these to the device via Bluetooth.
    Can't wait to start playing around with it and see how good this device is :rofl
    motocopter likes this.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I think you'll find Bluetooth doesn't transfer files. It's only for Notifications and location tracking, using Garmin Connect on your phone.
  3. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Yes mate just realized thatm but this should not be a problem...I have downloaded Uk on the device and managed to load a gpx as well..so it is going in the right direction...
    Trying to load all the countries needed for my summer trip in Europe on to a sd card and see if that will work :D

What is the best way from my smartphone to Garmin 64, Cable from Type C to garmin?
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Why do you want to connect your phone to the gps? Will your phone see the gps as a drive?
  5. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    I have the my route app on there and I can access the routes and download them and send them to the 64.
  6. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191223_111707.jpg Hello all, I've managed to get the nav up and running, not the way I wanted initially but after 4h of riding I am happy about the decision I've made.
    It looks good and performs better then I expected even in the sunlight.
    It's easy to read and information is plenty especially if you customise it with what you think you need on the screen while navigating.
    I have not managed to get the device to read the sd card with maps. I'm open to suggestions at the moment. It is no rush but I'm trying to load 4 to 5 countries for my trip in Europe.
  7. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you base the SD card when the unit is connected to your computer? Is so, at least you would know the card is being read by the GPS unit.

It's been a couple of years since I set up my 62....
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  8. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    I can see the sd card when it is connected and I've uploaded some maps on it to check if the unit will pick them up....but it would only pick up the maps on the actual device. I've uploaded osm UK map on the device and it works, but the rest of countries I needed are on the card and it wouldn't recognise them.
    I need to upgrade the 64 first and retry again see if this helps.
  9. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you see your maps when you select...

"Menu" / "Setup Map" / scroll down to Map Information and press "Enter."
  10. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    No, the maps from the sd card don't show up where you mentioned just the ones saved on the actual device.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    How big is the micro sd card you're using? Is it formatted as FAT32?
  12. Sattphalat

Sattphalat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try to load the map tiles to a folder named Garmin maps.
    And don’t download several countries to one memory card. Maps are big.
    Even though you have space on the memory card, the device will most certain be slow.
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  13. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    It is 16gb but I'm not sure about the fat32 format... I'm not the best when it comes to computer literacy
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This is BS. There is no folder called Garmin Maps. Maps go to the \Garmin folder. And you can download many countries - you just need to respect the limit of map segments. Javawa Device Manager does a great job of helping you to see how many map segments you have, and if there's a problem with your maps.

Here's my Montana as seen through Javawa.

[​IMG]
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Here are the specs with regard to the 64 models.

When sending or creating files for an outdoor device, keep in mind the following device limitations:

GPSMAP 64 (series)

• 2,000 GPX files
    • 5,000 waypoints
    • No limit on geocaches (outside of max number of GPX files supported and memory available)
    • 200 routes, 250 points per route
    • 200 saved tracks
    • 2,000 archive tracks*
    • 10,000 points per track
    • 500 custom map tiles
    • 250 BirdsEye Imagery files
    • Approximately 3,000 mapping segments**
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Make sure you don’t enable more than one map at a time as this will only slow things down while not adding anything to the map detail. The exception to that is the basemap, which should be enabled at all times.

Create multiple profiles, making one for each map, and switch between profiles instead of enabling and disabling maps when you need to switch.
  17. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing this with me ... I am still getting used to this device and how to use and make the most out of it for.
    I am currently using a Chromebook and I am unable to download Javawa, but if I am unable to manage without I will have to connect to my wife's windows laptop and make the changes there...
    I have now disabled everything except the uk detail map and the Base map. Have formated the sd card to the spec specified above and will try and load one map and see if this will be recognised.
  18. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    I have managed to find my way to create new profiles, basically for travelling in France i will have one profile and for Switzerland another and so on, with maps for each country saved in a SD card and activated only when the profile is loaded... ( This if I can manage to get the garmin to read a map from the SD card)...
  19. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191224_105724.jpg IMG_20191224_110541.jpg IMG_20191224_110550.jpg IMG_20191224_110541.jpg Screenshot_20191224-111546.jpg Screenshot_20191224-111551.jpg Here is the Sd card loaded with the map.
    SD card now loaded into garmin and the image is there.
    Here is a screenshot of my fingers  :lol3 lol.
    Screen shot showing the maps that are on the device but the one on the Sd card doesn't show up, might be doing something wrong here but hopefully I can get to the bottom of it. FRANCE is loaded on the device and works great.
    I need all the advice I can get really.
    Aleks
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Curious, anyone know if Javawa works with WINE in Linux? Still have a Montana that the spouse uses.