1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Garmin 62, 64 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Why are all your maps called a variation of ‘gmapsupp’? Are you using Mapsource to load the files?

You should be using Garmin Express and MapUpdater with that device.

And you can rename your maps to something relevant too, like France.img or Europe.img. Just remember to save the img extension.
  2. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There’s your problem, I bet. I suggest you use your wife’s Windows laptop to sort this out. Download Garmin Express and Map Updater, and Javawa.
  3. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff... I will try this with the Windows laptop and rename them as you mentioned so that I can know what is what.
    I'll be back... Famous words :rofl
  4. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have an SD card with the name 'UNTITLED'
    You put the german map (gmapsuppgerm.img) on the SD card
    This is incorrect.

Create a folder on the SD card named 'Garmin'
    Put the german map (gmapsuppgerm.img) into this folder.
    Done.

Suggestions
    Name the SD card something that makes sense, like ExtraMaps
    Name the german map as german.img

.img files that you bring in from elsewhere can have readable, easily understood names; leave off the gmapsupp junk.

:ricky
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  5. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Great advice thank you... Tomorrow I've got time and I will try this.
    Merry Christmas everyone
  6. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help and patience provided... I have now updated via Garmin express and downloaded all the maps required for my long trip in 2020... All the maps are now visible on the device... I have disabled them and will create profiles to use in each country together with routes so that I can swap from one map to another on the trip.
    Happy riding :D:clap
  7. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I have been digging around for an answer too my question but I always find it really difficult to find anything on forums.
    Currently, I have a GPSMAP 60CX which needs replacement cause it is an old slow piece of crap that takes 20mins to calculate a route.
    Now, I am looking for an affordable replacment for my trip from the Netherlands to Mongolia and would like some help deciding.
    It must be a GPSMAP, I love the touch-screen free use and don't want to switch.
    However, should I get 64, 64s, 64st, does it matter if I get one second hand or is it worth it buying all new?

I need to save up some money and can for example get a 64 for 100 euro (second hand but with 6 month warranty), but a 64s for 200 (new).

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!
  8. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have had a 62 and 64 for years now. Can not seem to find on line a protective dust cap/cover for the mini usb hardwired power lead. Seems from transporting, etc, this is the main cause of failure of the hard wire connection any help is appreciated

Paul
  9. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    I've got a 64s and I'm happy with it.. I would have bought second hand but I found a good deal on one that was refurbished and I'm happy with my choice.. I think the 64 s its better mainly because

Have a look at the video... Gives you some advice on the features that are better on the 64s.
    Cheers Aleks
  10. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, just found a really nice used one as well for low price. So I got the 64s now! :D
  11. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you compare the old 60 to the 64? I have a 60CSX that will be replace this year just because of the screen visibility. Looking also at 78 (since it has 12V power port) and Montana (600/610 series)
  12. LucasP

LucasP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I didn't use it yet. Hit me up in a month or two, since then I will be using her 24/7 when travelling for a few months.
    However, if you are replacing your 60CSX because of the screen, then the 64 wont do you much good.... It has the same screen with same resolution I think.
    Also, I hadn't even realised yet that you dont have a 12v power supply for it. Bought some panasonic recheargable batteries for it though and can go like 32 hours on it without needing to charge it. That'll do.
    When it's not raining I'll just connect the usb charging cable to my bike and it'll be goo to go again!

The 78 is a maritime oriented gps, not sure if that is good for you. Then I'd go montana, but I specifically chose not to take it because I f*ing hate touchscreens when wearing gloves :)
    MadM likes this.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Get the Montana. And don't worry about the touchscreen - it works with any kind of gloves though accuracy is not great with boxing gloves.
    MadM likes this.
  14. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just upgraded from a 60csx to a 64st and am trying to get up to speed with basecamp, tracks to routes, etc. I've got that down and my routes look fine on basemap but when I load on the 64 I just get a straight line start to finish. Even the version of the puppydog route I loaded did the same thing. I've fiddled with all the settings I can see in the manual and some google searches. Activity is Automobile, Lock on Road is yes. Basemap is on. I'm missing something.:dunno

Attached Files: