The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It does look like Garmin Express doesn't work with XP, according to someone on this site: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44466

Did you buy a map download or is it a map update you're trying to get?

I find I have much better luck with Garmin Map Updater, both on Windows and Mac. Here's the Windows version - it should work on XP.
  2. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just dl the link you sent me. It's loading onto my sad card. We shall see if it goes all the way. Other times it stops at 51 percent
  3. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's my next option. I really don't want to try to update my system on this computer I'm using. It's so old that the hardware cannot probably handle Windows 10.
  4. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And even with direct cable internet plugged in it is slow. Time remaining is 54 minutes. 10 percent completed.
  5. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just learned how to post picture on here! Heck yes. I love this site.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Garmin's servers are never fast. It usually takes me three hours at least on my download speed so you're doing well, IMHO.
  7. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This happens at 50 percent everytime
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  10. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying one of the fixes now.
  11. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nope, tried all different settings... I just ordered the card...........i will prob be back with more questions
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Weird. Once when I had a similar problem I called Garmin on their 1-800 number and one of their techs fixed it through a shared desktop application.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  13. kentuckymike

kentuckymike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did not even go there with garmin help.......lol. I will say though, it got to 56% DL before it stopped, was only getting to 50%
  14. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another GPS novice here - just got a gpsmap 78 (base) today. This is my first tracking/waypoint GPS unit as I dive deeper into adventure/dual sport riding. This July, a friend and I are going to tackle a portion of the TAT from Tennessee out to Colorado and then ride the COBDR up to the Wyoming border. From there we'll meander back to NC on the highways.

I'm going to follow the setup procedures linked a few pages back (as well as some available on gpsKevin's website). From reading this thread, it looks like I'll need to get City Navigator for proper road routing (finding addresses, finding hotels, finding other points of interest). The COBDR has free track files available, and you can buy individual portions of the TAT as .gpx files. One question I have is: If I buy City Navigator pre-loaded on a micro SD card, and the TAT files come pre-loaded on micro-SD cards, will I be able to consolidate them onto one card for use in tandem? In other words, does City Navigator require it's own dedicated card to function properly? Maybe this is opening a can of worms, but is it preferable to buy City Navigator already loaded onto a card, or download it onto your own card?

Sorry in advance if the answer is extremely obvious, but until now my only GPS experience has been to type in an address and hit "GO" on a Garmin Nuvi.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you buy CNNA on an sd card, it has to stay on that card or it won't work. The gps itself has some free storage space so you can probably put the TAT files on that instead of the card they come on.
  16. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't ever buy maps on a memory card. Buy them on the disc, go through the process of installing them to whatever card you want.
    It's worth the effort. :deal
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe the TAT tracks from Sam come on memory card, are you sure?

Even if they do, stick card in your PC copy them to hard drive, then copy them to gpx folder in your 78 (internal memory not card).

I only buy maps on a chip, no stupid unlock crap, just plug it in and go.
  18. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    CNNA comes on dvd, not cd now. But the sd version is still a good format to get if you have multiple gps units. It's not locked to just one unit like the dvd version is.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
    SnowMule likes this.
  20. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My mistake not writing "DVD" instead of "CD". If you click on the pull down in the link in my post above it shows "Download" and "SD card" as the only options. No DVD. This happened a couple of months ago. I placed an order for the DVD and got an e-mail a couple of days later that the order had been cancelled and the DVD version was no longer available.

Drew