The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Really? Must see if I can confirm that.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  2. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You can still buy the DVD from GPSCity.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The "latest version" bit is misleading. No matter which dvd you get, you get one free map update when you purchase, so you'll always have the latest version no matter which one is on the disc you get.
  4. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, my mistake, they are emailed to you after purchase.
  5. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    So the consensus seems to be that city navigator pre-loaded onto the SD card is to be avoided? I only have the one GPS unit that I'll be using, so transferability between units won't be important. Does CNNA use most/all of the SD card's memory? Would additional track files be able to be loaded onto it, similar to if I just installed a blank "regular" SD card?

What would be the advantage of ordering the DVD version from GPScity over the direct download version from Garmin?
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Neither the download nor the sd version can be updated without buying it over again.

7. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    Well that seems like a pretty good reason then!
  8. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...

After Garmin told me they weren't selling the CNNA DVD anymore I went and bought the DVD from GPS City. This was for my 376C which can't use the download or SD card. When the DVD came, it was version 2015.1. The latest one out there at the time was 2016.2. There was nothing in the package or online about one free upgrade. How did you learn about that? I just checked my account online and they will sell me a download (thanks for nothing) but nothing about other updates available.

Drew
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Did you register the map when you purchased it?

10. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes, and spent a long time on the phone with Garmin to get it unlocked.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I just checked the two CNNT dvds here and they're both 2012, so maybe Garmin's stopped giving the one free update? I'd be interested to hear from others who've bought more recently. Or maybe a call to Garmin might be in order.

Reading the reviews on the GPSCIty site, I see multiple people saying the following:

>I received the 2015 version, and it had an update in garmin express

>I was shipped and installed the 2014 DVD version but a free upgrade was available for download from the Garmin website.

"Tom" from GPSCity says the same as I did in this response to someone asking if they get the latest version when buying the dvd: "The Garmin City Navigator North America NT DVD will not be the 2015 map but the DVD will qualify for 1 free map update download within 90 days of the activation of the map to bring the map up to the current version.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you come to this conclusion? Buy the latest chip(within a 1/2 year), stick it in and go ride and all this other talk is mute!
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Is not important until you smash a unit.... (I got the relationship backwards, so instead of spreading bad info, i'm removing it. emmbeedee corrected me, you can see the bad info in his quote, if you like) thanks ! :)
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    But the dvd is locked to the smashed unit, and of no use in the replacement.

That's the great thing about the sd version. Just take the card from the smashed unit and put it into the replacement and you're off.

I prefer the dvd version, but I do have one sd card version as well, and know there's advantages to each.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i'm an idiot. i had the relationship completely 180 off. thanks !
    (editing post to prevent confusion now)
  16. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I think it's a little clearer. If you have a newer unit that's supported by Garmin Express, you should be able to get an update after buying the older version DVD but if you have an oldie but goodie (like my 376C) you don't.

Drew
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I expect Garmin would have given you the update if you'd specifically asked for it within the 3 month period. They might still be talked into it.

I find calling them on the phone to be the best way to get the answer you want.
  18. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    I ended up going with the SD version and it's working really well so far. Can't get any easier with respect to installation!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get power. I found this 4 pin connector kit that wires directly to the battery, but it seems pretty steep price-wise. http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/247...-Kit-for-GPS-III-V-SP-SPIII-176-176C-60-76-78
    Ideally, I'd like a 4 pin to SAE connector that I can plug into my already-wired battery tender connection, but can't seem to find anything like that for sale. Does anyone know if these exist, and if not, could I make one somehow?
  19. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Cycoactive hard wire kit on all my bikes. Yes a little pricy but it comes with everything including round cap to GPS end. How much is your time worth?